Raven

23 Jun 2013, 5:46 pm

I have noticed I am having symptoms such as:
- severe leg pain, cannot walk far, kept awake at night because of this :cry:
- joint pain and aching limbs :cry:
- sore face :oops:
- difficulty sleeping and at other times oversleeping :evil:
-fatigue 8O
- increased appetite, feeling I could faint when I have eaten an insane amount :?
- increased social withdrawal :(
-loss of interest in things I like :(
- more sensitive :cry:
- lose patience with people :evil:
- headache :x
- increased thirst :(
- sore breasts :(
- emotionally all over the place, in my younger days also suicidal; however, now these feelings are not risky as I know they will be gone in a few days :x

The pain lasts about 2 weeks or more and goes away a few days into my period.

I have underperformed in tests due to these symptoms, having a major impact on my life.
I become very clingy and emotionally needy and make mistakes with men I otherwise would not.

I am not sure how to explain this to my doctor, I know many experience these symptons to a degree and am not sure I will be taken seriously.

I feel my experience is somewhat abnormal, I essentially feel like I have an extreme flu and am depressed for 2 weeks leading up to my period, not just a bit sore for a few days beforehand like others.

The maximum dose of ibuprofen does not help my symptoms to the level of functioning I feel I need.

I was wondering if others have similar experiences and at this age, from what I gather from reading online I am a little younger than average seeking help for this. Comments on forums I have seen have mainly attracted women in their thirties with children.

Are there people who are older that had symptoms in the early twenties as well?

crookedfingers
Raven
Raven

23 Jun 2013, 7:51 pm

Hi, every one of my periods were like that in my teens, and now in my 20's I still get them sometimes, although in my case they seem to be getting better as I get older.
It might be worth talking to your doctor about it, or talk to a female nurse if your doctor is male and prone to dismiss women trouble ( the situation I was in)
If you are getting a lot of pain you should get it looked at to see if there are any serious problems such as endomitriosis or cysts. These conditions can cause damage if they are not treated.

If you are reasonably healthy there is not much that can be done for the pain apart from painkillers, although some stretches might help.

If you are in the uk I reccomend the feminax brand painkillers, they help me a bit although they don't completely get rid of the pain they make it a bit more bearable.
The normal feminax are codine based, so quite strong, and the feminax ultra are naproxen, which I take as I am sensitive to codine. I believe both are made to release in the intestines, rather than the stomach, so closer to the source of the pain.

. Good luck!

Mitsuki
Raven
Raven

24 Jun 2013, 12:30 pm

Thanks this is great information.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 5:08 pm

crookedfingers wrote:

If you are reasonably healthy there is not much that can be done for the pain apart from painkillers, although some stretches might help.

If you are in the uk I reccomend the feminax brand painkillers, they help me a bit although they don't completely get rid of the pain they make it a bit more bearable.
The normal feminax are codine based, so quite strong, and the feminax ultra are naproxen, which I take as I am sensitive to codine. I believe both are made to release in the intestines, rather than the stomach, so closer to the source of the pain.

I have used both brands and it used to help but now I'm nearing the very end of my twenties I'm experiencing alot more hormonal flushing, sweats that kind of thing. I'm one week pre-menstrual that is before my period, I suppose every three weeks from the time you inish your period is better than what some women experience in uterine disomfort and other hormonal deficiencies. I actually get alot of pms problems and emotionally I can't think, get befuddled, and I just hope the menopause is a long way away and I don't have ovarian cysts and the like, I often wonder how to cope with this all the time, letting nature decide really does take the menstrual biscuit.

Codeine is like an active drug which is broken down into acid by the large intestines and get passed through your pancreas on the way to the bowel and invariably the colon. Try to not look into taking as much of it for anyone thinking of doing so as it can perforate your intestines over time, I've reduced my intake of codeine and am feeling better, but definitely Naproxen for pain, I've read that panadol can do this in the states, but they're not exactly gastro resistant, and my g.p recently prescribed me a new batch that are. She's heading onto pastures new though, so no nice female women to uplift me mentally now.