Removing the military enlistment ban on Asperger's syndrome

Page 3 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Kelspook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jul 2013, 4:00 pm

I don't think I'm disabled either, and I managed fine in the army. But everybody is different and it's a very demanding enviroment. The overwhelming booze culture helped lol

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 11:39 pm

I'd say our Armies are the same too :lol:

Kelspook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jul 2013, 6:58 am

MDD123 wrote:
I'd say our Armies are the same too :lol:

Yeah, they have a fair few similarities lol.

The other thing that helps from the UK perspective is that British squaddies are nigh-on impossible to offend. So your usual Aspie social faux pas that get us into trouble are often forgiven very easily. Or they just straight up tell you to stop being a prat.

I still stand by what I said though. I've met some Aspies who would be a complete liability and incapable of following orders without asking "why". Not a good thing!

Just as much variety in talent in Aspies as there is in NTs end of the day. Guess that's why there's a selection process.

So MDD123, if you don't favour case by case, what do you suggest as an alternative?

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 11:52 am

Kelspook wrote:
So MDD123, if you don't favour case by case, what do you suggest as an alternative?

The initial training environment. It identifies anyone who doesn't measure up, not just aspies who don't measure up.

Kelspook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2013, 8:02 am

MDD123 wrote:
Kelspook wrote:

The initial training environment. It identifies anyone who doesn't measure up, not just aspies who don't measure up.

Hmmm. We seem to be going in circles a little here. I think some degree of pre-screening is inevitable. Otherwise you'd have training regiments chock full of people who haven't got a hope in hell of making it. Aspergers shouldn't be an automatic bar.

It should be declared though, and then training staff would know to keep an eye on them to make sure they're coping to a satisfactory level. Not to discriminate, just so that they know what kind of issues are possibly going to arise- forewarned is forearmed and all that.

All other medical conditions / disorders have to be declared, why should Aspergers be any different?

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 12:11 am

For one, I don't see it as a disorder, just a neurotype; and as much as AS trainees have to adapt, NTs have to adapt as well.

Kelspook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jul 2013, 3:08 am

But it *is* a disorder, unfortunately. Personality types are one thing, but the very real sensory, motor control and comprehension issues mean that certain people would probably be a liability. Training costs money, and sadly that means that you're never going to get them to say "yes, we'll take on everyone and send the ones we don't like home." It's utterly impractical.

It would be nice if the world was like that, but it isn't, sadly. You may get the blanket ban lifted, but I believe that declaration and some screening are inevitable.

Just wondering where the original poster has gotten to. I would have thought that he would have had something to say by now...

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 5:17 pm

You have a point, but I still think they should objectively prove that the applicant isn't up to par. I don't think someone with a title next to their name going "Hmm..." is fair or effective.

From my observations, some troops didn't show much promise until well after the initial training process. One in particular was 2 years into his enlistment before he got the hang of it. Then again, some guys never got the hang of it. I have a very different idea of what the selection process should be like because this.

The OP seems to dissapper for a few days, then comes back to post for a day or two.

ravenloft68
Raven
Raven

07 Jul 2013, 2:54 pm

I was in the U.S. Army from 1988 to 1992. The only reason this happened is because at the time, the only thing I was ever "Diagnosed" with was LD from a High School Psychologist. And, I guess the recruiter never checked that or was not allowed to. And at the time, Autism was not widely known about and I didn't realize that this was the real issue. My parents were clueless about autism as well so actually getting diagnosed for this when I was young was slim to none.
Going through boot-camp, advanced training etc. was obviously not easy and twice as hard not being "NT". But, somehow, I managed to "Wing it", "Fake it" and whatever else I had to do to get through. Being, a Veteran though. does have its advantages. I would say, Pick an MOS (Military Job) that you think you will be very good at.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 10:00 am

I wonder what the restrictions would be for someone who wants to re-enlist, but wasn't diagnosed Asperger until after they were out of the military? I got through basic training just fine, but I didn't get to go through AIT because my sister died, and it made me depressed enough to have to get out (but I had an honorable discharge.) They said (before the diagnosis) that once I've been to a psychiatrist and got the all-clear, I could go back in (and without having to go back through basic again, just pick up where I left off.)

AutisticAmerican24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Nov 2013, 11:19 pm

Kelspook wrote:
But it *is* a disorder, unfortunately. Personality types are one thing, but the very real sensory, motor control and comprehension issues mean that certain people would probably be a liability. Training costs money, and sadly that means that you're never going to get them to say "yes, we'll take on everyone and send the ones we don't like home." It's utterly impractical.

It would be nice if the world was like that, but it isn't, sadly. You may get the blanket ban lifted, but I believe that declaration and some screening are inevitable.

Just wondering where the original poster has gotten to. I would have thought that he would have had something to say by now...

1. A great many of us Aspies can remain calm, efficient, emotionally collected and competent in emergency type-crisis and stressful, dangerous situations. 2. Here in the U.S., if an applicant has satisfactory marks on the A.S.V.A.B., then they can be eligible for any job that they want, if they think that they can make it and they can make it through the training process, then allow them to be cleared for whatever job that they want. 3. I'm not talking about everyone. I'm talking about the military accepting people with Asperger's in an amount far lower than those who have been diagnosed with Asperger's, but a lot higher than those with Asperger's that are in the military right now. THAT's CORECT, SOME, NOT ALL.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 6:52 pm

I think the military removed this ban back in 2007 or so. I remember speaking with my therapist about this like in 2011 or so. I tried getting in the Air Force, but they kicked me out when I had Asperger's; this was back in 2003. I told my therapist about that, but my therapist doubted me saying Asperger's is not a disqualifying condition. I had heard of the news of the ban being removed but kept trying to tell her that I got kicked out before the ban got removed. Nevertheless, she kept reasserting that Asperger's is not disqualifying, ignoring my clarifications, which I found frustrating.

AutisticAmerican24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Dec 2013, 7:30 pm

@ beneficii, the restrictions and the case-by-case still exist in the form of the Americans with Disabilities
Act. This law is what allows us to to join the military on a case-by-case basis nowadays. What I want to do is to remove BOTH the restrictions and the case-by-case basis. I have been in contact with another Aspie who thinks that we should remove the restrictions as well as the case-by-case basis. He also thinks that a case-by-case basis is the same as a outright ban overall, in general.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 1:06 pm

AutisticAmerican24 wrote:
@ beneficii, the restrictions and the case-by-case still exist in the form of the Americans with Disabilities
Act. This law is what allows us to to join the military on a case-by-case basis nowadays. What I want to do is to remove BOTH the restrictions and the case-by-case basis. I have been in contact with another Aspie who thinks that we should remove the restrictions as well as the case-by-case basis. He also thinks that a case-by-case basis is the same as a outright ban overall, in general.

I was in the Army when I was 18, and possibly had the mental-age of 14.

I had no idea what was going on. They said I was "lost in the sauce". I almost killed some people several times because of AS. and not acting with the expected "common sense" of a NT person.

They told me to guard an area, and kill anyone that breeches it. Ok, no problem. However, don't expect me to fire a warning shot do anything else than those two things. GUARD AND KILL. NT people think one should have NT "common sense" and do other contextual things.

1. Mental-age development would have to be considered. I am way behind in mental-maturity compare to same age NT people.
2. They want NT common sense, not obedient AS people. This could send an AS person to jail for life.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 1:33 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:

I had no idea what was going on. They said I was "lost in the sauce". I almost killed some people several times because of AS. and not acting with the expected "common sense" of a NT person.

They told me to guard an area, and kill anyone that breeches it. Ok, no problem. However, don't expect me to fire a warning shot do anything else than those two things. GUARD AND KILL. NT people think one should have NT "common sense" and do other contextual things.

1. Mental-age development would have to be considered. I am way behind in mental-maturity compare to same age NT people.
2. They want NT common sense, not obedient AS people. This could send an AS person to jail for life.

In the military culture I know, they give a better explanation than that. We had several training sessions on the escalation of force (5s) and PL or PSG usually quizzed someone on the 5s before we left the fob for a mission. The military is all about making instructions clear.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 1:45 pm

MDD123 wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

In the military culture I know, they give a better explanation than that. We had several training sessions on the escalation of force (5s) and PL or PSG usually quizzed someone on the 5s before we left the fob for a mission. The military is all about making instructions clear.

As I pointed out , the instructions were clear. Further, trying to generalize your experience in the military to everyone's experience is not realistic. In the field, where you are on the move and things change dynamically, then there are no "training sessions".

My "occupation" even changed and I did not go through advanced individual training (AIT) for the new occupation. The unit I was assigned to was a medical unit and had like twenty other people with my MOS and needed me to do something else. I was never trained on my new MOS. I had to learn on the job.

You are missing the point. It is not about "clear instructions"; it is that NT people expect you to act with "NT common sense". The instructions say "DO X", however,circumstantially you are expected not to do X - disregard the instructions - because you use your common sense to understand that such an instruction should
not be followed.

You are told: "Guard this foxhole, and kill anyone who does not give the secret password". Then a drunk solider stumbles towards your foxhole and does no give the password. Do you kill the solider ? What would an AS person do ?

Later on, at the AS solider's court martial hearing, let's assume he killed the drunk solider, the judge says, "WHY DIDN"T FIRE A WARNING SHOT?". It is just common sense.

Does anyone here feel comfortable that AS people will know how to properly execute "NT common sense", especially at the younger ages of 18-22 ?

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 20 Dec 2013, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.