Unsure 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 2 ]
Other 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 434

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 11:58 am

Looks like hale_bopp not only got a nice discussion thread going about this a while ago, but even summarised it in a YouTube video: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp3381201.html#3381201 She even dressed up as a cat - now that's good research presentation. :)

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 12:17 pm

I love dogs and cats, but I would rather live with a cat. I had a dog growing up and I'm sick of dealing with dog s**t, and all the walking. Cats at least put it in a box for you. And cats are generally smaller and less smelly.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 1:06 pm

I love them both, I have four cats at my moms house...and I am hoping to get a psychiatric service dog, I have a recommendation for one so hopefully I can work something out eventually. I am thinking about a German Shepard or German Shepard mix. Hopefully introducing a dog as a puppy to the cats will work out alright though I am sure the cats will be jealous when I actually get a service dog.

Anyways I love them both, however dogs are better at being loyal and there when you need them, cats can be a little more independent minded and pretty much do what they please though they are affectionate and sometimes one or two of them will come up to me when I'm upset and try and distract me.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 3:14 pm

I don't dislike them, but I find both to be equally annoying. Cats make messes and get fur all over the place. Dogs bark all the time. I have no need for either. I guess if I was going to get a pet, I'd get a turtle or something.

Cirrocumulus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2013, 7:58 am

Throughout my life, I've liked cats more. Lately I'm appreciating dogs more, and I think it has something to do with my recent increase in appreciation for social needs & feelings.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 8:03 am

In general I like cat and dogs similar, so they can both be very cute. When it comes to keeping one of those, I prefer cats, because I hated it, that with a dog I needed to go out three times a day for a walk, specially per foot, when everyone starts to talk to you. -.- And then there is additional stuff like rain and snow and... like we say here.... BÄH. (=something you say when being disgusted)

Cirrocumulus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2013, 5:32 pm

Yes, I agree Schneekugel, it's so much better that cats look after themselves and aren't so dependent. It's a major burden to have dogs and need to walk them so often, knowing that it's cruel to neglect doing that. A benefit to us to make us get out exercising more, unless it doesn't bother our conscience. I agree also that they can be equally cute, but it's a different sort of cuteness. The crudeness and loudness of dogs can bother me, and the elegance of cats gives me bursts of bliss.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Jul 2013, 10:41 pm

alwaystomorrow wrote:
Dogs. I don't get cats at all. They're extremely unpredictable and changable, "blow hot then cold", and I have enough of that in daily social interaction -- I don't need that with my pets.

That said, I can appreciate the fact that they're fairly independent and have soft fur.
I like how dogs are predictable & trainable. Dogs may not be independent but you can leave them outside if you have a yard. You cant leave a cat outside unless your OK with him/her wondering all over the neighborhood. My mom hates cats because she had asma as a kid & was allergic & she doesn't like how the neighbor's 1s use her gardens as their own personal litter-box, kill birds in the yard & scratch up her car by climbing on it. I don't hate cats but I peffer dogs. My girlfriend has a cat & I find her really unpredictable. She'll climb in your lap only to jump off right after, she'll newoe sometimes when we're upstairs but 1ce we come down she wants nothing to do with us, she'll act crazy like she's hungry but when she gets fed she'll sometimes walks off like she's not interested only to go back & eat a few minutes latter. She acts like she wants attention from me but 1ce I start giving her some & petting her she'll walk off only to come back a few minutes latter. Cats may be more independent than dogs in general but they're so inconsistent with it that you cant predict when they'll be needy or want nothing at all to do with you.. Also their litter-box sand can aggravate sinus allergies & cleaning that & their hair-balls or vomit related to hair-balls is icky

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Egesa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jul 2013, 5:42 am

I love dogs but I don't think most people should keep them as pets because they need more attention than most people give them. One walk a day is not enough; (what are they supposed to do for the rest of the day?) and I don't think most people with dogs do even that. They won't die if not walked, they'll keep being affectionate and obedient, wagging their tails for their "owners" / "masters", even when neglected. So they suit many people as pets just fine.

I've found that people who don't like cats tend to come up with conspiracy theories about why they don't like them. These sorts of people seem to want slavish pets to worship them as dogs do, and can't stand the independence of cats. A cat won't show affection in the obvious way a dog does, and that seems to bother certain insecure or egotistical people. The evil is in the cat-hater's mind, not the cat's.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 12:01 pm

Egesa wrote:
I love dogs but I don't think most people should keep them as pets because they need more attention than most people give them. One walk a day is not enough; (what are they supposed to do for the rest of the day?) and I don't think most people with dogs do even that. They won't die if not walked, they'll keep being affectionate and obedient, wagging their tails for their "owners" / "masters", even when neglected. So they suit many people as pets just fine.

I've found that people who don't like cats tend to come up with conspiracy theories about why they don't like them. These sorts of people seem to want slavish pets to worship them as dogs do, and can't stand the independence of cats. A cat won't show affection in the obvious way a dog does, and that seems to bother certain insecure or egotistical people. The evil is in the cat-hater's mind, not the cat's.

I think the walk thing depends on if you have a yard for the dog to play in or not. If you have a yard like my parents with space, various gardans & plants to lie in, lizards runniging around for a dog to bark at & chase & horses in back(guy who owns the land behind m parents & afew of the neighbors owns horses) for a dog to run along side of & bark at & you have an active dog; my dad brought a stray home afew weeks ago & she may be a Jack Russell Terrier & she's happy as can be to be running around in the yard & my dad spending time with her outside before & after work & when she's inside at night & mom seeing her occasionally through the day seems to be working well for all of them. If the dog isn't small & is kept in a small apartment; the dog should be walked awhile every day but if it's a small dog who's kept in a big house; talking him/her walking isn't as critical thou the dog should still have alittle time outside whenever possible.
I hate how some spoiled rich brats think dogs are fashion accessories. I think dressing a poodle up & carrying her around in a purse should be considered cruelty.
I think using a dog for something like hunting is fine; lots of those dogs like it. I think using thm for service like guide dogs for the blind is OK too but the hangle should be taken off & dog let to be a regualar dog whenever the service won't be needed for abit.
Some people(more so women) feel safer walking a big dog around the city or leaving them outside to intimidate or alert them of bad people.
Some women have cats to substitute not having a relationship. There is the stereotype of the crazy cat lady like on the Simpsons of an older woman having more cats than she should. I heard news stories of those women dying & their many cats eating them. :eew:

Some say that Egyptians worshiped cats like gods & the cats never forgotten :farao:

Egesa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jul 2013, 4:13 am

Yes, I agree that farm life would be great for a dog. Ordinary backyards in the suburbs aren't enough, but if you've got room for a horse, then I imagine there'd be plenty of space for a dog to run, explore, & have adventures. Especially if there's at least 1 other dog for them to play with, since they're very social. Working dogs also seem to have a good life; - as long as they're working at least.

Crazy cat lady is a funny stereotype; men do it too. There's one around the corner from my house. I see him walk on the street with a shopping trolley full of cat food, his cats sitting around in his front yard; very cute, and he seems to really love them. It's a horrible thought of what would happen to a person's body if they died in a house where lots of starving cats were locked in. There are similar stories of humans committing cannibalism in desperate situations. I've seen a documentary about the history of early settlers in the U.S.A. where they were eating each other. That doesn't mean that all Americans these days are bad people; they're better fed these days, and usually very nice. So are cats. :wink:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 3:25 pm

Egesa wrote:
Yes, I agree that farm life would be great for a dog. Ordinary backyards in the suburbs aren't enough, but if you've got room for a horse, then I imagine there'd be plenty of space for a dog to run, explore, & have adventures. Especially if there's at least 1 other dog for them to play with, since they're very social. Working dogs also seem to have a good life; - as long as they're working at least.

Crazy cat lady is a funny stereotype; men do it too. There's one around the corner from my house. I see him walk on the street with a shopping trolley full of cat food, his cats sitting around in his front yard; very cute, and he seems to really love them. It's a horrible thought of what would happen to a person's body if they died in a house where lots of starving cats were locked in. There are similar stories of humans committing cannibalism in desperate situations. I've seen a documentary about the history of early settlers in the U.S.A. where they were eating each other. That doesn't mean that all Americans these days are bad people; they're better fed these days, and usually very nice. So are cats. :wink:
Dogs shouldn't be kept in a backyard that's smaller than the house.
I don't think cats are bad. It is a very tragic thing. Those people owned alot of cats; probably more than they could take care of. If your old or have health issues; you shouldn't have alot of pets unless you have help to take care of them. I don't hear of stories about people having way too many dogs; I'm NOT saying some don;t but I just don't hear about it,; cats are the pets people seem to have too many of for some reason. I heard stories of dogs dying of starvation after their owners died; some of the dogs had food available but chose not to eat. I kind of relate to that sense of loyalty thou mine doesn't go that far. I'm very loyal to people I get very close to, especially relationship partners.

One thing I forgot to mention about my girlfriends cat is that she goes in the bathroom only to walk rite back out. She followed me in today(this happens fairly often) & as soon as I closed the door she started meowing & scratching at it. She's like a little kid who wants whatever she sees but as soon as she has it she loses interest till the next time she sees it only to lose interest rite after again. I wish she'd make up her mind & stick with it but it's funny in a way & entertaining. I like her but I don't understand her & some of her habits kind of annoy me at times.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 4:55 pm

I like both cats and dogs.

Amberlena
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jul 2013, 5:16 pm

I strongly prefer cats. They don't bark, they aren't violent, and they don't jump all over people. I like dogs, but I just hate it when they're irritating.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 5:36 pm

Cats, cats, cats.

Egesa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jul 2013, 5:48 pm

nick007 wrote:
Dogs shouldn't be kept in a backyard that's smaller than the house.

Agreed. :)

nick007 wrote:
I don't think cats are bad....

But you've said many negative things about them, so little positive, & spoken of them in such contempt!

nick007 wrote:
Those people owned alot of cats; probably more than they could take care of. If your old or have health issues; you shouldn't have alot of pets unless you have help to take care of them. I don't hear of stories about people having way too many dogs; I'm NOT saying some don;t but I just don't hear about it,; cats are the pets people seem to have too many of for some reason.

I think it's because they can. Cats are so independent, they look after themselves. They only need to be fed, and are (or should be!) free to roam where ever they want, so don't need to be walked. They come home because they want to, not because they're locked up like a dog. As I've already mentioned, I don't think most people who have dogs look after them properly (e.g. walk every day). They'd be even more neglected in larger numbers.

nick007 wrote:
I heard stories of dogs dying of starvation after their owners died; some of the dogs had food available but chose not to eat. I kind of relate to that sense of loyalty thou mine doesn't go that far. I'm very loyal to people I get very close to, especially relationship partners.

I understand, I relate to that too. I acknowledge that you said your sense of loyalty doesn't go that far. I question whether it's really a virtue. The people who benefit from being the object of someone's loyal, adoring over-neediness certainly enjoy it. The way that dogs sometimes starve themselves after their "owners" die - people think that's great, don't they? That the dog cares so much? It's slavish and pathetic. It's not something to be admired or imitated. Religion wants that kind of slave, politicians would love it, and so would the kind of romantic partner who is egotistical &/or controlling &/or insecure, who would rather their partner suffer in their absence than be happy. I don't want to be even a little bit like that. I may too attached to people sometimes, it can be hard to move on, but that's unhealthy. It takes strength, confidence, courage, and independence. Dogs set a bad example for humans in this way. ... I can think of a better role model who purrs... :wink:

nick007 wrote:
One thing I forgot to mention about my girlfriends cat is that she goes in the bathroom only to walk rite back out. She followed me in today(this happens fairly often) & as soon as I closed the door she started meowing & scratching at it. She's like a little kid who wants whatever she sees but as soon as she has it she loses interest till the next time she sees it only to lose interest rite after again. I wish she'd make up her mind & stick with it but it's funny in a way & entertaining. I like her but I don't understand her & some of her habits kind of annoy me at times.

So she wants to go into the bathroom but doesn't want to be locked in? Neither would I! Smart cat. :D