Other 0%  0%  [ 2 ]
Other 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 434

Egesa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jul 2013, 5:48 pm

nick007 wrote:
Dogs shouldn't be kept in a backyard that's smaller than the house.

Agreed. :)

nick007 wrote:
I don't think cats are bad....

But you've said many negative things about them, so little positive, & spoken of them in such contempt!

nick007 wrote:
Those people owned alot of cats; probably more than they could take care of. If your old or have health issues; you shouldn't have alot of pets unless you have help to take care of them. I don't hear of stories about people having way too many dogs; I'm NOT saying some don;t but I just don't hear about it,; cats are the pets people seem to have too many of for some reason.

I think it's because they can. Cats are so independent, they look after themselves. They only need to be fed, and are (or should be!) free to roam where ever they want, so don't need to be walked. They come home because they want to, not because they're locked up like a dog. As I've already mentioned, I don't think most people who have dogs look after them properly (e.g. walk every day). They'd be even more neglected in larger numbers.

nick007 wrote:
I heard stories of dogs dying of starvation after their owners died; some of the dogs had food available but chose not to eat. I kind of relate to that sense of loyalty thou mine doesn't go that far. I'm very loyal to people I get very close to, especially relationship partners.

I understand, I relate to that too. I acknowledge that you said your sense of loyalty doesn't go that far. I question whether it's really a virtue. The people who benefit from being the object of someone's loyal, adoring over-neediness certainly enjoy it. The way that dogs sometimes starve themselves after their "owners" die - people think that's great, don't they? That the dog cares so much? It's slavish and pathetic. It's not something to be admired or imitated. Religion wants that kind of slave, politicians would love it, and so would the kind of romantic partner who is egotistical &/or controlling &/or insecure, who would rather their partner suffer in their absence than be happy. I don't want to be even a little bit like that. I may too attached to people sometimes, it can be hard to move on, but that's unhealthy. It takes strength, confidence, courage, and independence. Dogs set a bad example for humans in this way. ... I can think of a better role model who purrs... :wink:

nick007 wrote:
One thing I forgot to mention about my girlfriends cat is that she goes in the bathroom only to walk rite back out. She followed me in today(this happens fairly often) & as soon as I closed the door she started meowing & scratching at it. She's like a little kid who wants whatever she sees but as soon as she has it she loses interest till the next time she sees it only to lose interest rite after again. I wish she'd make up her mind & stick with it but it's funny in a way & entertaining. I like her but I don't understand her & some of her habits kind of annoy me at times.

So she wants to go into the bathroom but doesn't want to be locked in? Neither would I! Smart cat. :D

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Jul 2013, 9:00 pm

Amberlena wrote:
I strongly prefer cats. They don't bark, they aren't violent, and they don't jump all over people. I like dogs, but I just hate it when they're irritating.
Cats like to climbon people only to jump or climb off after. I find the tone/pitch of cats meowing more annoying than dogs barking but I'm more senstive to cetain tones than the adverage person(I'm senstive to the tone of the chipmunks in those action movies but not the cartoon series). I'm sorry if my posts here sound negative. I'm just listing cats negative qualities but they have some good 1s too & I could say some negative things about dogs. I don't like when dogs are really exicted & jumping up on me or wimpering. I don't like dogs barking either or how some growl. They do need alot of attention sometimes. Some of cats good qualities are that they can be pretty cute & sweet when they want to be like when their curled up purring while your petting/brushing them. Their fun to watch chassing a lazer pointer, when watching movement on TV or playing with their toys,

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Egesa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jul 2013, 11:37 am

Preferences are fair enough - that's the topic of the OP. Don't apologise to me like a submissive dog! :( Be more dignified like a cat! :) I don't think many real negative qualities of cats have been raised; mostly false assumptions and negative associations. The sudden harsh loudness and crudeness of a dog's bark is far worse for me than the pitch of a cat's meow, but then that's my preference. I do like growling, howling, & other weird dog noises.

What's the problem with a cat climbing onto a person then leaving? Does that make you feel rejected? Do you imagine something bad going on in the cat's mind? My cat, and previous pet cats, usually stay with me for a long time once climbed onto my lap - probably because she knows she's loved and treated well. Another point in favour of a cat as a better pet than a dog is that they don't accept poor treatment like a dog does. Dogs will still be affectionate and friendly when not treated well, which may give people the idea that it's ok, but cats don't put up with it. Cats are only close to people who treat them well - they have higher standards than dogs, and this encourages better human behaviour.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 12:17 pm

Egesa wrote:
What's the problem with a cat climbing onto a person then leaving? Does that make you feel rejected? Do you imagine something bad going on in the cat's mind?
No to the 2dn & 3rd question; I never thought of it that way.It's at least somewhat a sensory issue thing. I don't like being tickled & I don't like psyical affection with anyone but my partner. The movement of a cat going on my lap or rubbing up against my leg makes me uncomfortable as well as a dog jumping up against me. I would like petting cats on my lapor layinng down on me feet or against my leg if they are still but I dislike the movement

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 12:33 pm

Egesa wrote:
What's the problem with a cat climbing onto a person then leaving? Does that make you feel rejected? Do you imagine something bad going on in the cat's mind?
No to the 2dn & 3rd question; I never thought of it that way.It's at least somewhat a sensory issue thing. I don't like being tickled & I don't like psyical affection with anyone but my partner. The movement of a cat going on my lap or rubbing up against my leg makes me uncomfortable as well as a dog jumping up against me. I would like petting cats on my lapor layinng down on me feet or against my leg if they are still but I dislike the movement

Egesa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jul 2013, 7:28 am

Ok, fair enough! Just a personal preference - nothing against cats. I'm a bit defensive of them, as you can see. I suppose then that cats win. :D

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 9:46 am

Egesa wrote:
Ok, fair enough! Just a personal preference - nothing against cats. I'm a bit defensive of them, as you can see. I suppose then that cats win. :D
I get that & respect it

Egesa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jul 2013, 10:54 am

nick007 wrote:
Egesa wrote:
I get that & respect it

So cats win then?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 10:56 am

Egesa wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Egesa wrote:
I get that & respect it

So cats win then?
They win for you & dogs win for me

Egesa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jul 2013, 10:59 am

nick007 wrote:
Egesa wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Egesa wrote:
I get that & respect it

So cats win then?
They win for you & dogs win for me

Stalemate!

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 1:54 am

Dogs, specifically collies, Shetland sheepdogs, basset hounds and bloodhounds.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

01 Aug 2013, 12:44 am

I am a cat kind of guy. Dogs can be a bit too loud for me.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Aleithei
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2013, 10:27 pm

I think i am biased. I am very allergic to cats

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2013, 2:52 pm

I can find no better place than this thread for this video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNswRK4cBlA[/youtube]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TreeShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2013, 11:17 pm

I prefer cats by a wide margin. I have actually talked about this with my therapist. She said it makes sense because as an Aspie I share a lot of traits with cats. They are very particular, discerning about which humans they will like, and independent.

Although there are certain dogs I sometimes like, on the whole I don't respect dogs. They will just give any person affection, even people that abuse them. I don't blame the dog, but I do find it annoying. It's like, who cares if the dog loves me? Dogs will love anyone. But you have to EARN a cat's love. They don't just give that out freely. I respect that and it makes me feel more connected to my cats.

Vintagegirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Oct 2013, 11:58 am

I like dogs, but I adore cats! :)