If you were bullied at school, did it...

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

If you were bullied at school, did it...
make you stronger.:rambo: 17%  17%  [ 9 ]
break/devastate you.:cry: 75%  75%  [ 40 ]
I was never bullied.:shrug: 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I was the bully.:twisted: 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 53

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 3:04 pm

Just curious.

Erlonman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jul 2013, 3:21 pm

Being bullied helped me learn how not to cry and hardened me a great deal, so I guess it made me stronger.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 3:29 pm

I'd say that it ruined my life and I never got over it.

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2013, 3:33 pm

I used to be a very quiet kid until the Columbine thing happened and everyone was saying, "it's always the quiet ones." Then, someone tried to frame me for something to get me expelled (I spent the whole day in the office with people thinking I wanted to kill them), and then I started talking more and saying the wrong things all the time instead, thus pushing away any remaining chances I had of making friends. So. I guess I would have to say it broke me. I want to go back to being quiet, and I've tried it, but the psychological trauma ingrained it in me that I am more creepy if I am silent, even if I would feel more comfortable that way.

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2013, 3:40 pm

Oh, and I hate when people tell you to let go of childhood memories as if that were even possible or would somehow fix you. Even if I could forget that horrible occasion, the changes it made in me will persist because I was still being formed mentally during childhood. I know that there are things I don't remember that affect me every day because I occasionally DO remember them -- I have a very unstable memory bank of before I was 10, and only certain, seemingly random things make me recall those memories, and I almost always forget them again afterward -- but the affects of those memories certainly continue to this day. So "letting go" doesn't exactly work.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 3:51 pm

They say 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger'. I think that's BS.

I wish I didn't get bullied. Bullying made me hypervigilant to rejection. STILL I find it hard to trust people and to be myself around people. I feel like people don't like me, that i'm weird, not worth it, etc.

Bullying definitely made me more of an insecure person.

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2013, 3:58 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:
They say 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger'. I think that's BS.

I wish I didn't get bullied. Bullying made me hypervigilant to rejection. STILL I find it hard to trust people and to be myself around people. I feel like people don't like me, that i'm weird, not worth it, etc.

Bullying definitely made me more of an insecure person.

I KNOW it's BS. Not just because of bullying but because I have TMJ disorder and although it won't kill me, it has made me physically weaker because I cannot eat properly and exercise like I used to do. I graduated Summa Cum Laude only to become weak and disabled? I don't feel stronger for that at all. Plus, although I have always had ASD symptoms that have made the workplace difficult, and I have lost jobs because of the unacceptability of an ASD meltdown in the service industry, I feel like my symptoms have gotten worse and less controllable lately.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 3:59 pm

Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this but don't most schools have that one weird kid that pretty much everyone rejects and hates? When I was in school I was that kid. During most of my schooling I had only one friend that eventually ditched me so they could have other friends. The teacher set us up in first grade because they were the fattest kid in the school so they got bullied and had no friends either.

To this day I'm shy and asocial and can't help but expect for people to not like me and want to harm me. That probably greatly contributed to my hatred of people. Between my hatred of school and the bullying I missed so much school that I had to go to family court and get sent away multiple times. Now I mostly just sit at home and can't work because I'll have to do things like leave the house and be around people.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 4:07 pm

Well, it made me realise WHY I got targetted by society and it made me work on the points that made them dislike me.

I certainly am at least 5x as good now as I was back in school.

Also, bullying pretty much gave me an insight of how society basically is, and it was a lot different than I first had in mind back when I was bullied.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 4:07 pm

The options in this pool brought something to my mind.
I remember of having been called a bully once when I was in 8th grade.
I had gotten up to go to the bathroom to wash my hands during the lunch break and when I got back to my classroom I found one of my classmates sitting on my chair. I asked him to get up because that was my place he said "no" and went on eating his pizza.
Then I took his books and held them out of the window, and I told him "if you won't leave my place immediately I will drop them", he ran towards me to get his books and this way I could get back to my chair. He then started yelling at me and told me I was a bully, but I'm not at all a bully IMO, not even close to being one. Actually, it was him that started that, by taking my place.

Exept this, I went through teasing, isolation, name-calling, threats of being beaten up (which never happened) and being hated during all my school years, but I couldn't realize I was being teased until the age of 11 and when I started realizing I was being teased I just couldn't bring myself to care about it. I was called a schizoid from my classmates because of this because according to them I just couldn't feel anything (exept rage. They knew I could feel it). Ahw well.

saimand
Raven
Raven

01 Jul 2013, 4:10 pm

I was bullied for being the quiet ant the weird one, first I was broken then I grew stronger, I m still the quiet one, but with the attitude so people are less likely to f*** around with me, although they still do :(

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 4:11 pm

Uprising wrote:
Well, it made me realise WHY I got targetted by society and it made me work on the points that made them dislike me.

I never knew why they didn't like me. I even had a school counselor tell me that it was my fault that people treated me the way I did because of the way I acted. I didn't know what I was doing wrong, she didn't tell me, and I didn't know any other way to act. Looking back I can only guess that it was because I was quiet and shy and "weird".

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 4:32 pm

All three. It bothered me and made me cry and get me mad, it did make me stronger, and I was also the bully.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 4:35 pm

hanyob wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this but don't most schools have that one weird kid that pretty much everyone rejects and hates?

I was that kid.
I was hated and teased a lot.
The only difference between me and most people on this forum is that they seem to care about it, while I don't. Ahw well. I guess that most people on this forum can "feel" more than I do and are less disconnected from the outside world than I am then.

I was also isolated, but I must say that I also seeked isolation and never tried to socialize even with the few people that didn't tease me.
This is probably because school is a place I've always hated, too many rules, too much noise and just too much to deal with for me, also listening to someone who's speaking is the worst way for me to learn, and even when I take my med for the attention deficit it's hard for me to listen to someone who's speaking.
And I can't socialize in a place I hate.

But I do seek isolation so it wasn't that bad actually. I passed my time from age 11 to age 13 without a single friend and I have been just fine.
I remember something from a report card when I was 11, where a teacher described me as an aloof girl and a loner that seeked isolation and didn't even turn when she was being called at times.
They even sent me to the school's shrink once when I was 11 and another time when I was 13. I don't know what they said to my parents or my teachers in the end, they send a paper to my parents but I didn't even read it because I wasn't interested.

I also remember that once when I was 12 I was told by a teacher "well maybe it's a little bit your fault too if your classmates don't like you". I don't know why she said that, I don't think I was doing anything really bad to my classmates, maybe it was because I was being selfish but that wasn't really hurting anyone IMO. Also, there was a kid in my class that punched a lot of people but everyone loved him and he was very popular. This doesn't make much sense.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 4:49 pm

I think bullying led me to years of isolation, depression, suicidal ideation, drug abuse, addiction and homelessness.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 5:14 pm

I'm still negatively affected today. In my opinion the only thing bullying did was made me jaded, angry and bitterand I missed out on so many opportunities because I didn't trust anyone. It further doesn't help that I look like a bouncer now so few REALLY believe my tales of having 20 people (boys and girls) taking turns attacking you.