Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

invisibubble
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jul 2013, 9:45 pm

I'm well into adulthood and considering eyebrow shaping for the first time. I really don't like change, especially with my body, so when I decide to change something I want to do it slowly and carefully without feeling too much pressure. The thing is, my eyebrows are pretty big and bushy and I'm finally growing up in the head and realising that if I take more care with my grooming people will treat me with more respect. (I find this a sad state of affairs but I realise that other people treat you with the respect that they think you treat yourself with - which is based almost 100% on how you look).

Anyway, I do want to do this but basically I like my eyebrows pretty much as they are but think they could do with a little subtle shaping. I see other women go to beauty salons and come away with barely any eyebrows left and am scared of going to a salon and being confused and bullied into being made to look like everyone else with tiny eyebrows. I feel intimidated in "beauty" settings (even at the hairdresser) and am a pushover personality-wise. I'm wondering what's the best way to find a beauty salon that will work with me to achieve what I want to achieve even if they don't think what I want represents "beauty".

EmberEyes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jul 2013, 10:11 pm

My advice is that you bring someone you trust (mother, sibling, friend) along to help you 'stand up for yourslef'. Generally the beauty salons I have been to (a whooping three or four) want to help you and will not do anything outlandish to you. I don't know where you live or what places you have in your vicinity, but you could get advice from people you know that goes to salons regularely. I am sure there are online places that rates and reviews salons, so you could check that too.

Good luck!

Moonranch
Raven
Raven

03 Jul 2013, 9:05 am

invisibubble wrote:
I'm well into adulthood and considering eyebrow shaping for the first time. I really don't like change, especially with my body, so when I decide to change something I want to do it slowly and carefully without feeling too much pressure.

I can really relate to this. I've always hated my eyebrows but getting them plucked, waxed or threaded professionally has always felt a bit too drastic for comfort and I've never felt brave enough to actually do it. Instead, recently, I've started plucking my own eyebrows myself -- just a little bit. I pluck all the ones that fall outside of the natural arch and any that I feel just look generally untidy. I started really slow and kind of assessed my look after plucking each hair to ensure I didn't get overly enthusiastic and over-pluck. I feel much better about them now!

invisibubble wrote:
The thing is, my eyebrows are pretty big and bushy and I'm finally growing up in the head and realising that if I take more care with my grooming people will treat me with more respect. (I find this a sad state of affairs but I realise that other people treat you with the respect that they think you treat yourself with - which is based almost 100% on how you look).

I completely agree with what you've said here.

invisibubble wrote:
Anyway, I do want to do this but basically I like my eyebrows pretty much as they are but think they could do with a little subtle shaping. I see other women go to beauty salons and come away with barely any eyebrows left and am scared of going to a salon and being confused and bullied into being made to look like everyone else with tiny eyebrows. I feel intimidated in "beauty" settings (even at the hairdresser) and am a pushover personality-wise. I'm wondering what's the best way to find a beauty salon that will work with me to achieve what I want to achieve even if they don't think what I want represents "beauty".

Perhaps you could tell them at the salon that you are only after a tidier, yet natural look. Maybe just say outright that you don't want them too thin. It's in their best interest to comply with your wishes so you'll return in the future!

EmberEyes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2013, 11:57 am

Actually, I think it's in fashion right now to have full brows!

I would not recommend plucking your brows on your own at first. Well, if you have a good 'eye' for art then perhaps you can... My experience is that plucking them on my own always end up looking really uneven and makes my face really unbalanced. Having them done by a professional at first, all you have to do after that is pluck the strays every week or so.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

03 Jul 2013, 12:11 pm

I just had my sister do mine a little while ago. My eyebrows were moderately bushy, but I told her that I don't want them to look any smaller.

She did a pretty good job at it, but it's kind of grown back since then. :lol:

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 3:17 pm

I pluck my own occasionally. It's only the hairs that fall outside the natural shape, so it's just tidying up more than shaping. Had it done professionally once and it looked dumb. I didn't get them very thin but I suit fuller eyebrows.

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 5:44 pm

My advice on eyebrows. I go in and tell I only want them to "clean them up". That is usually understood by the waxers as the bare minimum (at least in NYC). After that, I pluck them myself, following the shape they created, I go only about once or twice a year as a result. This is the best method I have discovered thus far. I am also VERY particular about changes to my appearance, so I completely understand how you are feeling.

Hope this helps :)

gdgt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jul 2013, 7:22 pm

I can't stand plucking, so I have them waxed occasionally, then I use those tiny little brow shavers to keep them up. They are painless, unlike plucking!

As another poster mentioned, more natural brows are in right now. :)

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 7:48 pm

EmberEyes wrote:
Actually, I think it's in fashion right now to have full brows!

I agree with this, as I usually keep mine this way, although I do get them waxed every once in a while. I am not fond of the plucking, though, because it is more painful to me.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 12:21 am

invisibubble wrote:
I'm well into adulthood and considering eyebrow shaping for the first time. I really don't like change, especially with my body, so when I decide to change something I want to do it slowly and carefully without feeling too much pressure. The thing is, my eyebrows are pretty big and bushy and I'm finally growing up in the head and realising that if I take more care with my grooming people will treat me with more respect. (I find this a sad state of affairs but I realise that other people treat you with the respect that they think you treat yourself with - which is based almost 100% on how you look).

Your location says Australia. If you let me know which city, I can probably give you the name, number and address of a good place.

This isn't the 80's where those "barely there" eyebrows were all the rage.

There is actually a mathematical formula that any decent and experienced beautian will use to start with in order to do your eyebrows. It will be personalized to you from the beginning. Once they do that, then you can decide from there if you would like more shape, more arch, a little less here etc.

Most high quality salons will sit down with you and talk things out first. If it's your first time, they almost always try to keep it non-dramatic and just go with the basic formula. Good places will have no problem working with you in that regard. And I wouldn't worry about them going "too less" as the thicker ones are certainly more in at the moment. The general preference is for more like this:

If you are really worried about it, then only go to the consultation. If you feel they are not listening to you and are trying to push you in any way - simply don't do it. Find someone who listens to you first before you agree to anything. If you feel you can't hold your own, take someone you trust with you to stand up for you if need be.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 2:41 pm

I need to do something about my eyebrows too. They are quite thick, although they naturally have their own shape. But I am debating to myself whether to go down to the eyebrow place or not. I wouldn't want to pluck them myself in case I go all wrong and end up going around looking silly. I can't stand ridicule from other people, because I suffer from low self-esteem as it is. My eyebrows also keep meeting in the middle (at the top of my nose) and I have to keep on top of that because they grow back so quickly before I've even noticed. I could look in the mirror in the morning and see nothing then a few could shoot up during the day and I have to quickly get the tweezers back out again.

I do have a very handy aunt who is and has always been very good with fashion and trends, and always keeps up with the latest fashion and trends. She's in her late 30s but gets her 18-year-old daughter's boy mates thinking she is hot. Anyway I have learnt a lot of beauty tips from her, which has really welcomed me into the fashion world so there is no reason why I should get ridiculed for anything because I know I don't stick out at all.
I did ask her if my eyebrows looked OK, and she said I have got really nice eyebrows and that I shouldn't worry about getting them done at all. I know she always gives me honest feedback and so if she wasn't sure on my eyebrows I know she would have loved to help give me some help advice of how to change my eyebrows, but she said I should keep them as they are and that they look really nice. She even said that she wishes she had thicker eyebrows like mine.

But every so often I do start to get a little over self-conscious about how I look, and I spend about half an hour staring in the mirror at myself and suddenly believing that I look awful and wondering how I've even got friends. I think those are just self-conscious moments, and I don't think they are uncommon in women.

RudeGoldbergMachine
Raven
Raven

12 Jul 2013, 7:49 pm

Mine are all waxed off and I draw them on with eyeliner in creative ways, inspired by my hero, Amanda Palmer. Truth.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 5:11 pm

Is this straight talking nonsense or what?

and why indeed is this comparison made?

loveturn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jul 2013, 5:29 pm

For the first time you can go to a beauty salon. They can shape your eyebrows and after that you can keep up with it yourself. I do so too. I also use Aqua Brow to fill them up a bit and give them some more color.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 5:28 pm

I think extreme love of eyebrow grooming, perhaps ocd seems likely in Alex's case. You can't help but love him though. A lawyer running a legal advice law firm at his age, 22 is a vast achievement and the stick he got for not achieving the legal diploma right was catastrophic seeing as his own forte is maths.
I mean, going through business looking like that takes a lot of guts, and he came close to winning, if it weren't for that greedy aging miles, taking up all the credit for his show-homes.
Anyway, Jason was the one who sold three. This years apprentice, had really stepped up a gear.. in the cosmetics department. I made a silly joke about him looking Toonstruck on fb. i've since deleted it.
There's some geeks in life you just cant push outta your mind.

Wait, I think I have got more video footage from the former butler here.

https://www.facebook.com/AlexMillsForAp ... 13?fref=ts (al's fb link)
looks like that signature hasn't put him off

http://www.alexmills.tv/files/blocks_image_1_1.png

Free eyebrow action footage here

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFDO5u2uST8[/youtube]

What's my name again? :heart: Image

kalli889
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Oct 2013, 8:59 am

If you are in a metropolitan area, your odds of finding a good brow groomer go up. I found groomer in NYC on a beauty blog that a friend had on her Google Reader, and she's kept clients for over TEN YEARS. She cleaned up my brows, but also gave me the assignment of growing them in to save me from the overplucking/overthreading of other brow groomers. She definitely worked with clients to get them to a full, natural-ish, but beautiful brow. Yelp is also good to find reviews for personal care services. :-D