Page 4 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2013, 8:10 am

I also enjoyed the finale a lot, but I hope that I can remember all the hanging threads when the show returns next year.

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Oct 2013, 6:19 pm

thanks everyone!

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 4:17 pm

Adamantium wrote:
And a speaking part, too! Nice!

That means SAG/Aftra, doesn't it? Way cool.

Another fantastic episode. I was very empressed with Eva's traumatised look--so different than that lively face we saw at the ranch...

There is no part of this that is not working well. And I like the way they are playing Ray Ray--so irritating you are just hoping something terrible silences him soon (or is that just me?)

I thought Fausto's fireplace over Marco's shoulder was almost too heavy handed. As if we needed to be told this man is already in hell by putting flames behind him. Also the telegraphing of his intent to use that knife, up close and personal, was so strong that I wonder if that is not a set up for a twist of some kind (other than a twist of the knife.)

One thing I really liked was the scene with Lyle Lovett-- I forget the characters name for the moment--when he was giving papers for Charlotte to sign with Cesar and Ray at her side. They discussed the sexual politics of the situation so openly--something that almost never happens in real life but was natural in the weird circumstances these characters are in.

The whole exchange between Ray and Charlotte about the sexual component of his encounter with Graciela was so interesting--and the way she put him in his place as an employee, and a less trusted one than Cesar. Added to that the cryptic exchange of hinted, implied detail between the attorney and Charlotte about her invitation to dinner with Fausto... a very rich scene.

And I really like the way Adriana is developing. She may be my favorite character after Sonya. That scene with her mom waiting was terrible to see.

What a fantastic set up for season 2.

And again, nice work, Alex!

Ha - it's not just you! They are playing RayRay to be a real jerk and when he gets it, no one will be sad! :D

This was a great great episode - so much change in Sonya - so much amazing acting with Marco and Sonya.

I'm in a Bridge group of NTs on Facebook and I was surprised to learn that they were all thinking Sonya came to Marco's home with thoughts of having sex with him. :o

I have explained to them that's not so. Marco is her friend now, he is not being mean and trying to push her away, he is okay with her and trusts her now and that's huge. I told them friends are hard to find and nearly impossible to keep so this is something big. My understanding of the scene was that she came there because she was worried about him and she understood very well (because of her sister) what he was going through and she wanted to express that BUT in true Aspie form, she was awkward about it.

She knows it's customary to talk with friends over a drink. So she goes to his house (perhaps a bit inappropriately as it was late and she was uninvited) and asks to have a drink - which sort of forces the 'drink and a chat' thing - something that is normally organic with NTs. I was surprised that she had a drink but noticed it was just a tiny sip. She expressed what she had in mind and left. The NTs saw sexual chemistry and lingering on her part and I saw typical AS awkwardness.

And then I was afraid for her going out to the car alone because that scene seemed like it was going to be where someone grabbed her or was hiding in the backseat or something. (whew - it wasn't)

I didn't give this scene a second thought but it has generated a LARGE amount of discussion with the NTs. I told them not everything is sexual :roll: And those subtle sexual subtexts that they're wanting to be there, are just not really in Sonya's vocabulary.

I believe she's very happy to be friends with Marco (officially) and she is very loyal and protective of that friendship. I also pointed out to them that my only friendships are with men - and they are not in any way flirtatious or sexual (not even as a subtext). I think more logically and deal with them like a man to man friendship.

If Sonya and Marco develop some sort of romance, it will be a disappointment and it will follow along with every other tv drama (yawn). Maybe after 8 seasons or something, if they grow to be very good and solid and secure best friends, maybe then. :)

Daniel and Adriana are another great relationship that needs no sexual subtext (and has none) - they are male/female but becoming actual friends. I love that this show has the ability to create complex characters that are more like real people instead of cardboard caricatures that just react in the same old way to one another.

Alex, you looked great and sounded great - I wish you would tell us all about your experience! I'd love to hear how it went for you, what the set was like, how you felt, were you overwhelmed, was it one take or more? Was everybody nice? How is it going in general for you to be the consultant on this show? Come on - spill it! :D

-- Emerson

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2013, 2:20 pm

earthmom wrote:
I'm in a Bridge group of NTs on Facebook and I was surprised to learn that they were all thinking Sonya came to Marco's home with thoughts of having sex with him. :o

My mouth hung open with shock when I read this--are they watching a different show?

It was glaringly obvious that the "drink" thing was a formality along the lines of "do you want a glass of water"--

We know what Sonya looks like when she is interested in sex--it really isn't subtle--and this is not it. How can they have so much evidence and not get it?

Quote:
I didn't give this scene a second thought but it has generated a LARGE amount of discussion with the NTs. I told them not everything is sexual :roll: And those subtle sexual subtexts that they're wanting to be there, are just not really in Sonya's vocabulary.
Of course! You are right.

Is this group on Facebook mostly NT women who read romance novels? I ask this because it seems to me that there is a habit for a certain type of reader to do a very large amount of self projection into this type of story. Could it be that they find Bichir attractive and think that Sonya must, too--and expect the story to play out in such a way that they can project themselves into a relationship between Marco and Sonya?

Quote:
If Sonya and Marco develop some sort of romance, it will be a disappointment and it will follow along with every other tv drama (yawn). Maybe after 8 seasons or something, if they grow to be very good and solid and secure best friends, maybe then. :)
Agreed.

Quote:
Daniel and Adriana are another great relationship that needs no sexual subtext (and has none) - they are male/female but becoming actual friends. I love that this show has the ability to create complex characters that are more like real people instead of cardboard caricatures that just react in the same old way to one another.
I would love to see Adriana's character get into a committed and strong relationship with a woman and have that be not central to the show or a big deal for people other than Adriana's mother.

Quote:
Alex, you looked great and sounded great - I wish you would tell us all about your experience! I'd love to hear how it went for you, what the set was like, how you felt, were you overwhelmed, was it one take or more? Was everybody nice? How is it going in general for you to be the consultant on this show? Come on - spill it! :D
Yes! I can imagine that it would be difficult knowing what could and couldn't be repeated, but it would be really interesting hearing more about the process that you work through and how your contribution gets worked into the show. I hope we get more looks into how all this works and what it's like being there.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2013, 2:44 pm

Your reply made me laugh out loud! OF course that's exactly how I felt about the Sonya/Marco drink scene! And "they just don't get it" is very hilarious - don't they always say that about us? :D lol

The group is male and female and it was actually the MEN who saw so much "sexuality" in this. One said Sonya had a "come hither" look and was obviously flirting! HA - no.

I'd also like to see Adriana in a good solid relationship - and you know what? We don't know that she's not in one. When her sister asked where she was staying she said "do you really want to know?" which I thought indicated with a woman but she didn't want to say because of their mother.

-- Emerson

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2013, 3:07 pm

Adamantium wrote:
I thought it was interesting that Daniel survived. In the original he did not because he was held as complicit in the deaths of the Tate character's family... And none of those people but the Ruiz character survived.

For those who have seen both shows, were you struck by the difference between the way things played out in that climactic confrontation?

I felt like Bron/Broen let the viewer reach more understanding by clues and subtle situational cues. It seemed to me that in the Bridge everything was spelled out for the audience. It felt to me like the writers didn't trust the audience to get it if everything wasn't told rather than shown. But maybe that's just me.

I wonder how this will pan out in the Anglo-French version. I think that French TV series (at least the series I have seen) leave the viewer to decide more, unlike some US series, though Sky does have some input... And since there is no bridge between England and France, it's called The Tunnel.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2013, 5:49 pm

earthmom wrote:
The group is male and female and it was actually the MEN who saw so much "sexuality" in this. One said Sonya had a "come hither" look and was obviously flirting! HA - no.
OK , that actually makes more sense to me. They don't really think any of this, they just think she is attractive, therefore have fleeting sexual fantasies about her, therefore project that onto the character.

But seriously! Her flirting involves saying things like"do you want to sleep with me?" You don't really have to decode her signals. But they probably weren't thinking with their brains, as I said.

Quote:
I'd also like to see Adriana in a good solid relationship - and you know what? We don't know that she's not in one. When her sister asked where she was staying she said "do you really want to know?" which I thought indicated with a woman but she didn't want to say because of their mother.
You're right--we may find out more about that later. She certainly has her act together in the way of people who have come to grips with their issues. It's really good to see.

alex
Developer
Developer

07 Oct 2013, 3:40 pm

We do quite a few takes (at least 2 takes of each shot (sometimes a lot more). So we'll do a master shot, then we'll do closer shots. After we do the closeups on one side, we'll reverse and shoot the scene from the other side getting closer with each shot(we do multiple takes of each shot though). Then we'll do inserts if they're necessary.

I read the scripts, go to the table reads, and give suggestions throughout the various stages of the process including while we're shooting. I break down each script for diane and give her notes on parts of the script that are particularly important for the autism.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 7:19 pm

alex wrote:
I read the scripts, go to the table reads, and give suggestions throughout the various stages of the process including while we're shooting. I break down each script for diane and give her notes on parts of the script that are particularly important for the autism.

Fantastic. I think that involvement really shows.

It's also nice to see you write about what "we" do. This creates the sense that you are fully included in the creative team and have joined a collective identity for the purpose of making the best show that can be made. This is deeply inspiring.

AutumnSylver
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jun 2014, 5:32 pm

I just finished watching the first season last night, and I am in love with this show. I can't wait for the second season.
I love how the story continues from one episode to the next. Most shows in North America have a completely new storyline in each episode.

But I found Sonya to be sometimes robotic, (like when someone says something to her and she just kind of stands there with a blank look on her face. It seems like something a child would do, not an adult) and as some other people mentioned - she doesn't seem very well adapted for someone her age and in this kind of job. She comes across as very child-like sometimes. Unless that's what the producers are aiming for.

Even though it's just fiction, this show gives me some insight into how NT people see us. If I come across to people in any way how Sonya comes across to people, I can understand why people would think I was weird and try to avoid me.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 9:34 am

New season coming next month, according to my DVR.

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Jun 2014, 3:21 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
New season coming next month, according to my DVR.

Yes. it starts July 9.

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2014, 1:31 am

I just discovered this show a few nights ago and I'm loving it! I'm up to the 9th episode of Season 1.
There was one thing that disappointed me, though. In episode 8, she's talking to Marco's son and says she's not good with "people, closeness" and "it's hard for me, I just don't know what people want, you know, when to talk or when to talk away, I just don't know". his reply was "I think it's hard for everyone" and then said something I couldn't understand but both characters laughed. So maybe the joke made it better but I immediately thought/hoped Sonya would have some sort of reaction to what he said. Because, as we all know, it's not the same. So I was hoping for something, maybe not for her to explain in more detail but, I guess the fact that she laughed shortly after and didn't seem bothered at all by what he said, bothered me a little. Maybe "bothered" isn't the right word for me but I just felt that it should have been addressed in some way, not necessarily a big way. Just... something.
Perhaps it will be later, which wouldn't surprise me because they tend to have things happen with no explanation for a while.

Though I do wish they'd explain some things. Like in the first episode, the lieutenant bumped Sonya's shoulder with his a few times when she was starting to get upset. Which I thought was odd because at first, he put his hand on her shoulder, then immediately removed it and started bumping her. So it was as if she doesn't like physical contact and he remembered that so he removed his hand but the bumping thing was something to help calm her down. That's the only conclusion I can come up with, even though it contradicts itself. But for all I know, maybe there are some people with Asperger's who are like that. They dislike being touched but only in certain ways and vice versa. I don't like being touched and I know that's a common thing, but I've never heard of it working both ways. That doesn't mean it can't, I'm just trying to keep an open mind, I guess.
Or maybe I'm just over thinking it.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 2:20 am

Season Two Opened tonight!

Nice to see that your line (if not your face) got into the "previously on" opening segment, Alex. ;)

I'm seriously conflicted right now. Just watched it and altho I still love this show, I really did not love this episode. It seemed like I was watching a different show. They've changed aLOT and the feel of the show was really off. Last season it was hypnotic, dusty, mysterious, this one was like ..... instant gore and violent and very very dark (literally and figuratively) and gratuitous sex. :(

I'm not happy. This one was very weird.

-- Emerson

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 6:15 pm

I thoght the gore was good. Jarring, but these are bad, bad people. I thoght the bank scene was fantastic. I felt so bad for the kid who lost his ear. Even knowing it was all acting, it was hard to watch. I was disturbed by the way Sonya slept with the killers brother, but it was consistent with what we have already seen in her approach to sex--so that didn't bother me. I was more disturbed that she just ignored the captains advice.

I thought it was a promising opening. I look forward to seeing how things develop. I want Sonya and Marco to rescue the sister, but that doesn't seem realistic.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 7:03 pm

I don't mind gore. But the bank scene was so ridiculously stupid I wasn't even horrified. It was laughable in a way.

She's gonna have this guy cut off a young man's EAR in a bank president's OFFICE in the middle of the day? Riiiight. Nobody hears him screaming, and of course nobody will question the blood. He'll have to come OUT of that office and go to the hospital where nobody will ask any questions, right? :(

Just too stupid. I can suspend belief for zombies and all sorts of things but not this. It made zero sense so it was more in the idiotic/laughable attempt dept to me.

I think Jack Dobbs (the brother of Lisa's killer) is really Lisa's killer. They took pains to show us the drawing of TWO dark figures. I think the killer (Jim?) was trying to tell Sonya that all this time The picture in his pocket - the drawings.... Jack wanting his brother dead. And who knows if their father killed himself or was helped by Jack, too (?)

I still love the show but I'm looking to return to a bit of the same feel that they started with.

-- Emerson