Page 3 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Bliss
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jul 2013, 5:25 am

Waterfalls wrote:
Regardless whether the actress is neurotypical, that the series pairs autism and the ability to analyze and understand a great deal about people, including things someone more typical might miss, is really pretty exciting.

Has the potential to open people's minds to something other than a stereotype of autism as wordless and unable to communicate, or brilliant math/computer person who is clueless about people.

I agree completely.

BigSister
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jul 2013, 8:45 pm

I haven't watched The Bridge yet - Alex's interview got me really excited to watch it and the preview looks really great, but the sneak peaks before it looked really creepy. I can't really watch intense TV shows, so I'm a little nervous to try it. Anyone have thoughts on the scare-factor level? NCIS level of intensity is fine, but as it starts to approach the Dexter end of things I start to get uncomfortable. Thoughts?

LookTwice
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jul 2013, 8:53 pm

Hmm, there are a few "gory" scenes. Probably will be less than in Dexter, but it's not NCIS. As far as I remember, NCIS was always (unrealistically) clean, i.e. hardly any blood, no visible wounds etc. (although I haven't watched it in a long time, so I might misremember).
What did you see in the preview? Maybe you've already seen the worst of it.

BigSister
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jul 2013, 12:25 am

Sorry, I meant teasers. They aren't gory or anything, they just seemed really intense and like the kind of thing that would make it hard to go to sleep at night. I tend to be pretty sensitive to that stuff, too - I once watched a horror movie (in Chinese, which I thought would diminish the fear-factor) and I had to leave the movie before it even really got started (a grand total of one person had died, and it wasn't even a gory or painful death), and what little I'd seen freaked me out every time I turned off the lights for about six months. It's not gore that's the issue (although that's not great) so much as the intensity of the emotions the show elicits, especially through suspense, etc.

That said, the teasers seem to focus on the killer, not the human interest, the presence of which (in the form of Sonya) is the reason I'd like to be able to watch the show in the first place.

These are the teasers I saw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZomN3xXicAw

Thoughts? Thanks for the help!

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 2:48 pm

I watched it. I didn't really care for it. However, I am not into crime drama shows. At this point, I pretty much just watch documentaries. I just don't do stories of any kind.

My wife loved the show so I'll be giving it another try.

LookTwice
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2013, 4:27 pm

BigSister wrote:
Thoughts? Thanks for the help!

From what I've seen so far (only ep 1), I think it's less intense than Dexter and definitely less intense than horror flicks, but it's hard to tell how much would make you uncomfortable.
Maybe you want to wait a bit longer to see where the show is going with character development - so far, the characters aren't very complex or interesting, if you ask me.

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2013, 10:13 pm

Personally she completely turns me off. Woman aspies present differently than males and most know how to mimic nuerotypical behaviors to get through most situations (even if on the inside they are lost and even near panic). She behaves like a male on the spectrum to me - she is completely off putting and definately giving a wrong image to my family of how a female aspie behaves.

Sorry - this show gets a double thumbs down from me. If they want a consultant for the show - find a female aspie. Sorry Alex.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 10:35 pm

Valkyrie2012 wrote:
... and most know how to mimic nuerotypical behaviors to get through most situations ... .

I've never read that in any clinical texts.

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2013, 10:48 pm

quoted:

'One of the reasons many women on the spectrum have to survive on the wrong planet for decades before getting a diagnosis is because all women are taught to minimize their eccentricities by mimicking and echoing their peers. (For similar reasons, many lesbians only realize that they’re gay in middle age.) Aspie guys can also be more confrontational than Aspergirls, and quicker to erupt in rage when their senses get overloaded, which brings their condition to the attention of parents and teachers. This may have as much to do with traditional gender roles as it does with the distinctive traits of men and women with autism.'

Taken from this article: http://blogs.plos.org/neurotribes/2010/ ... aspergirl/

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 1:07 am

matt wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:
Also loved Tim Levine. It seems he keeps winding up playing the superviser of the detectives with neurological disorders! (anyone who's seen Monk will know what I'm talking about :) )
Thank you! His voice seemed so familiar, but I didn't know his face. I was wondering who he was.

That was my problem too; I knew his voice, but his face didn't fit, I had to look it up afterwards to see if it was really him :)

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 1:19 am

amaris74 wrote:
Tori0326 wrote:
*Spoiler Alert*
I think her driving is out of character. I would think she'd drive carefully and under the speed limit because it's the law and the law should not be broken, just like the crime scene should not be compromised.

Yes! This bugged me as well. Then again, I hardly ever drive - just don't trust myself to be in charge of such a powerful machine.

I would agree with that, especially considering how upset she got when Ruiz allowed the ambulance to pass through and "contaminate" the crime scene to get to the hospital; from that it seemed like she was more dependent on rules than her driving depicted.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 1:24 am

Dillogic wrote:
Valkyrie2012 wrote:
... and most know how to mimic nuerotypical behaviors to get through most situations ... .

I've never read that in any clinical texts.

I wish I knew how to do that.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 1:53 am

Second episode today out here on the West coast. Pretty scary for me... I keep getting a feeling of dread that anything could happen. I have been well aware of the murders of women in Juarez for maybe 20 years... it's so evil.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 5:39 am

Valkyrie2012 wrote:

That reiterates what's known from peer reviewed text, that males can be more aggressive and they may not act as well -- that's not to say that, and very far from "most females with AS can get by appearing normal".

From Wing's paper on AS (the one that defined it in the West), she put this for the difference between males and females:

Quote:
The girls tended to appear superficially more sociable than the boys, but closer observation showed that they had the same problems of two-way social interaction.

So, the girls might chat more, but they still have the same problems in reciprocal social interaction. Females tend to chat more than males.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 5:53 am

Incidentally, I'm hoping the depiction in the show is better than the one in Hannibal.

That one sucks.

alwaystomorrow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jul 2013, 6:59 am

I've watched all of the original and the first episode of the remake.

So far, I prefer the original. Maybe it's just because it's more accessible for me as a European, but ... I don't know. The US version is fairly ham-handed about a few things (Look, let's point out how odd the main female character is! And again. And again.), and I'm fairly sure the implications are much different in the remake -- for one, the entire racial issue isn't as prominent in the Danish-Swedish original (for obvious reasons), the border is heavily policed and controlled (again unlike the mostly 'drive-through' border between Sweden and Denmark), and the 'power imbalance' between the investigative forces is much more pronounced in the remake ... I think the Canadian-US border would've been a much closer match, if they had to remake it in the first place, but oh well.

I was also kind of disappointed that they stayed so close to the original -- down to styling choices and the general 'look' of the actors. Saga and Sonya look very alike, Daniel has the same dead-eyed stare in both versions ... I think if they'd diverged more, it might've been more interesting to me.

Adamantium wrote:
mikassyna wrote:
I enjoyed the Cross character's portrayal but think that the disrobing in front of her boss was indulgent and a cheap shot to get some skin on camera. [...]

Interesting. I agree on both issues. Have you seen the original? It's on YouTube and it's very good. They have the scene with changing in the office, but it was not exploitative and it was an empty office at 4am. Her boss is there but stays nothing. He has long hair and the general counter cultural look that in Europe would automatically mean he would not care very much about nudity.

Speaking of which, and on the exploitation front, the original has some scenes of a male actor getting dressed that expose much more than anything in the US show.

Also, the eye contact issue is more that she stares, which works better in her job. There is no moment when her boss says "make eye contact" and no moment when she says " sorry if I didn't use empathy" -- which did seem really off in the US version.
YES. This. All of the above, thank you, Adamantium.

I really thought that the on-screen sex scenes, full nudity sideview (male) and exposed female breasts were the main reason FX decided to reshoot ... that, and more revenue.

Btw -- favourite moment of the original first episode is probably when Martin introduces himself to Saga ("Martin \ ʁ̞oːð̞ˠ̠ \ (*) -- R-O-H-D-E"). Danish pronunciation ftw!

(*) no guarantee for accurate transcription