Having a hard time moving forward...help?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2013, 9:15 pm

I'm 16 and I have this great summer job working with Autistic kids! I love it, and I can relate to all of the kids. The people in charge of me say I'm better at working as a therapist than their actual therapists because I understand the kids so well. I think I would like to become a therapist or special ed teacher some day. :D

The problem is, randomly; as of just a few hours ago, I want my old obsession back. BADLY. :( Last year I was on track to be a dog trainer, a really good, extremely experienced dog trainer. I was working with a bad organization though. They promised to start paying me as a trainer after my two long years of volunteer work with them. The money "ran out" and they wanted me to volunteer two more years. My mom said I couldn't and that she would not let me train another one of their dogs for free again. She also said I cannot get anymore animals until I move out. She will not budge on that decision and she will take my car if I bring the subject up. :cry:

I still have one dog, who I want to register in next weeks dog show but for MANY reasons, I can't. I wish I was still on track to be a dog trainer. I want to train service dogs again. I want to do dog shows again. I want a new dog.
What's my problem? Why can't I just be happy with working with the kids, (which I love doing) ? Why do I want to do the stupid dog thing again? I'm in a fight with my own self! Working with dogs again isn't even an option, so why does my brain want it so bad? :x

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 9:22 pm

It's not stupid, that's the first thing. The second thing is you really love it and you are great at it. It's a passion of yours and an absolutely excellent one. I think you should obey your mom for now and once you are of age and able to move into your own place and have all the dogs you want then go for it. It's a great career and if you find a good situation that can pay you than I think it would be awesome. But as long as you are a minor it's important to respect and obey your parents. But the dogs will be there for you when you are old enough to choose and pursue your career.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 10:03 pm

Ditto with skibum!

Kaelynn you don't have to volunteer at an organization, you could start one yourself, or be self employed. One dog at a time.
There's nothing wrong with you that I can tell from this post. You sound pretty awesome in my opinion.
What about training gerbils? Maybe you mom'll only take your car's spare tire if you train service gerbils?

Frankly your mom should be happy you weren't training service walruses. Or is is walrusii?

savvyidentity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2013, 11:24 pm

Kaelynn wrote:
I'm 16 and I have this great summer job working with Autistic kids! I love it, and I can relate to all of the kids. The people in charge of me say I'm better at working as a therapist than their actual therapists because I understand the kids so well. I think I would like to become a therapist or special ed teacher some day. :D

The problem is, randomly; as of just a few hours ago, I want my old obsession back. BADLY. :( Last year I was on track to be a dog trainer, a really good, extremely experienced dog trainer. I was working with a bad organization though. They promised to start paying me as a trainer after my two long years of volunteer work with them. The money "ran out" and they wanted me to volunteer two more years. My mom said I couldn't and that she would not let me train another one of their dogs for free again. She also said I cannot get anymore animals until I move out. She will not budge on that decision and she will take my car if I bring the subject up. :cry:

What if you broach the topic with your mum but say you want it as a hobby locally and not to do it free for some organisation that is taking liberties. You could at least try to do that on that side. I know it's hard to have two interests at once sometimes but it's worth a try. If you then don't want to do it you can let it go and just do it from time to time. Do you have your own dog? That might be another way you can do that just occasionally. If you wanted to start your own business one day in the future (like a local business) dog training doesn't seem like a bad option. Or dog walking for your neighbours as a hobby. And sure why not take classes and learn to be a therapist if you want to. Just maybe not all at once, plan/arrange it carefully so you haven't got too much going on.