Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 5:21 pm

I keep inserting swear words involuntarily into my sentences. I will shout "f*** off" at a small, inconsequential thing, or say "I f***ing did X". I swear approximately 40 times a day. I don't know that I've sworn until I've done it, then I've been embarrassed. I cannot seem to stop these words coming out.

I also get physically aggressive very easily (punching walls, kicking things, smashing things etc).

Does anyone have this problem? Do you have any idea as to why I do this? I need to learn a way to stop myself.

ParaSait
Raven
Raven

26 Jul 2013, 5:36 pm

It's just a way of casual speech. I do it too and I don't see it as problematic.
It should only really be an issue if you also do it in more formal situations, or towards people who are explicitly against swearing...

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

26 Jul 2013, 5:39 pm

Guilty as f*****g charged, I do it a lot too.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

greyjay
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jul 2013, 6:01 pm

When I first learned the "rules" for swearing and could do so convincingly I tended to over use it. It took me a long time to learn to differentiate between contexts where swearing was expected and formal speech seen as suspicious and contexts where swearing was frowned upon. I still argue with some adoptive family members about it as I have difficulty with the concept of particular words being "dirty". I understand being insulted at a slur or a direct insult but I don't understand being insulted because I happened to use a particular word. As an adult I tend to overcompensate for having been viewed as "ret*d", or various racial and sexual stereotypes, by using formal speech in public spaces, so while I have gotten better, I still haven't quite gotten a handle on adjusting my speech to suit the context.

Jasper1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jul 2013, 6:20 pm

I swear a lot too. I like it. I often have a hard time with being too formal or too casual. It's really difficult to find the right balance. At least when I go too formal I don't offend anyone, but I've noticed lately that it seems to put up a social barrier. It definitely makes conversations shorter and more abrupt. Much of the time I prefer that. When I feel I need to communicate more it's a hindrance and kind of annoying.

xarrid

26 Jul 2013, 6:22 pm

Foul words and profanity are my way of life :) however in the business world and around my son I had to learn to insert a filter. basically rather than say what is in my head i stop make sure that what I am going to say is appropriate to the people who I am speaking to, if not edit it then let it come out of my mouth. It took me along time to learn to do this, i still don't always get it to work exactly perfect. I use this technique in my day to day interactions with just about everyone i meet.

nuttyengineer
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jul 2013, 7:38 pm

I swear a lot. I used to sing "f**k" when I was a small child and I still don't really understand why people are offended by swearing. I do try and tone it down when I'm around people that I know don't approve of it, but sometimes I can't really control it. It was really funny at a job a couple of years ago when they thought I was this "polite little girl" until I stubbed my toe and a whole slew of obscenities came out of my mouth.

Jasper1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jul 2013, 7:44 pm

lol when I was a kid I used to drive everyone crazy by singing "f**k N Roll Music." Just that phrase over and over. I f*****g loved it. Especially cause I made it up myself. I used to do the air guitar along with the singing too.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 7:47 pm

ohhhh yes.
am speech impaired,with speech being split between pure echolalic speech and then it switches off in the brain [viewable on EEG] and am completely non verbal;no sound and no capability to form words throughout half or most of the day,also have less language available when typing online or communicating via typing.
unfortunately mum is a bad swearer and because speech is made up of echolalia her words are what am communicating with,ie loads of swearing and various old fashioned sayings of hers,am unable to process any echolalic speech of mine so have got no clue am swearing,it helps when am typing because can self moderate better,but its something am easily pissed off by because support staff dont seem to understand just because someone comes out with a swear word,it doesnt mean they:
-understand it
-realise theyre saying it

so perhaps,[steel maiden]-the swearing coud actualy be echolalia?
high functioning autists have echolalia to,and its also a part of schizophrenia.

swearing in general isnt a bad thing,have never understood why its bad,its only bad if its been directed at someone as that means it is being offensive, but it shoud not matter if its not directed at anyone.

as for the physical agression thing,its incredibly common on the spectrum;am also like that to a acute level,am only allowed a minimalist bedroom because of it,there is just a bed,a wardrobe that has been built into the corner-it cant be torn away or broken AND a radiator guard which cant be broken [though have smashed the previous ones which werent metal :P ].
have smashed many beds,tvs,windows, etc,the wetroom of mine cant be smashed up,the mirrors cant be smashed, am not allowed to keep wheel chair in bedroom because its been thrown at people,am on a lot of medication for it but have also had to go threw more life changes, trials of various therapies and equipment,care and behavioral management plan changes than most to show that it was needed as LD pyschs are militantly anti medication now days.

its difficult to recommend ways of helping the physical agression because it really depends on the cause behind it if there are any or if its irritability that comes out of nowhere, mine is regulary to do with lacking the communication skills to speak to people,and lacking total understanding of feelings for example.
any chance of posting any triggers are aware of?

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 8:15 pm

I like using excessive swear words mixed in with all of the "fancy" words I know.

I find it amusing.

Of course, one of my psychologists informed me that my "unusual use of language" is contributing to my social difficulties. :lol:

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Jasper1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jul 2013, 8:20 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
I like using excessive swear words mixed in with all of the "fancy" words I know.

I find it amusing.

f*****g indubitably! 8O :lol:

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 8:41 pm

xarrid wrote:
Foul words and profanity are my way of life :) however in the business world and around my son I had to learn to insert a filter. basically rather than say what is in my head i stop make sure that what I am going to say is appropriate to the people who I am speaking to, if not edit it then let it come out of my mouth. It took me along time to learn to do this, i still don't always get it to work exactly perfect. I use this technique in my day to day interactions with just about everyone i meet.

My family is quite religious, so I learned to filter even as I learned to swear. I worked in Radio and TV for 30 years and its amusing to watch professional broadcasters, who nearly all swear like sailors, turn it off instantly when the mic goes hot. Its all about self control and boundaries, you gotta know when its cool and when its not and function appropriately, speaking of which, methinks the OP needs to learn the same thing where physical aggression is concerned. AS is no excuse for being uncivilized.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 8:45 pm

I'm Christian-ish so I would rather not, especially since they ARE considered offensive to some. I also have a fear I will inherit swearing tics and that will be awful compared to my other tics.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 9:37 pm

I cuss like a little kid. :oops:

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2013, 3:36 am

What you all say makes sense.

I think I do have some degree of echolalia because I often repeat phrases I've heard on the TV or radio, without totally knowing what they mean.

I get physical aggression when I get overwhelmed with sensory information, when my routine gets massively disrupted / changed, and when I cannot communicate properly and get frustrated.

I have a full-time support worker at university because my Asperger's is quite severe apparently. I have screamed, kicked doors, punched dents into walls etc when things like lectures being cancelled have happened. At home I have a pile of sheets of wood leaning against the shed in the garden - I kick those when I'm angry / frustrated to prevent me kicking the paint off the walls (lots of holes in the paint in the kitchen for example). When I've been on the psych ward during a relapse, I'd have meltdowns on a regular basis. The staff thought they were in response to command auditory hallucinations, when in fact they were frustration and sensory / social overload from being on a ward (usually sectioned under the Mental Health Act). I would need 3+ nurses to hold me down and I'd need to be injected if they had any hope of calming me down.

I swear profusely during meltdowns.

Tomzy95
Raven
Raven

27 Jul 2013, 6:35 am

I do it too, usually when I think of past embarrassing moments.