1st Post In A While, 1st One Since Daughter's AS Diagnosis:

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

tkmattson
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jan 2007, 1:05 pm

My three and half year old daughter was diagnosed a couple weeks back (my wife and I had a feeling that it might be the case for a few months now - going back to a conversation with her teachers), and I seem to be having a variety of mixed emotions about the whole thing. All through this learning process I've been trying to be upbeat, even after the diagnosis, when even though we pretty much knew, my wife was more or less devastated. I do see the silver lining, all the positives, and am certainly glad to know as opposed to just going along oblivious. I have a feeling right now of uncertainty though, as most of the information I've found thus far is for older kids than our daughter, and furthermore, for boys. We did find one book called "Asperger's & Girls", which we liked a lot, but again it was more directed at high schoolers. Is there any recommended info for toddlers, and furthermore for girl toddlers? Any parents whose daughters were diagnosed this early who have been through a year since or so? Also, I feel a little up in the air about what to do next, I saw another topic down below, but I think the question bears repeating.

mumstheword
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2007, 3:01 pm

Hi there!
We seem to be in the same boat only we have a son. He was diagnosed at the age of 4 and is turning 6 next week. We've had no support since day one so I've taken it upon myself to become the "expert". I have studied ABA (which he is not a candidate for), I've read all the articles I can get my hands on etc. Every time I find a supports group, sibling group, social skills group or what have you they are geared to older children (mostly starting around the age of nine). Reason being that it is claimed most people are not diagnosed until that age, I argue that most people were misdiagnosed in the past and the experts need to get up to speed on what's going on. My husband and I feel like our hands are tied. My son goes to a regular school and is integrated in a regular class but has a difficult time coping. I doubt that half of the "experts" in our region could even spell Asperger's let alone lend support to a child diagnosed with it. We need to pull our resources together and advocate. PM me and perhaps we can use each other as sounding boards since most people on this site seem to be older than our kids as well. I know too well how it feels to get that first diagnosis even though deep down we were expecting it. Be strong for each other, support your daughter with all of her exceptionalities and always enjoy her!

ster
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 5:01 pm

havent' found a whole lot of info on girls, sorry