Anyone seen the POV documentary on Autism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

JML101582
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 1:28 am

POV had a real good documentary on people with autism. Most of the things hit home with me like myself lacking the non-verbal social cues, getting angry over nonsensical situations, and taking things very literally. I've been in Special Ed from 1985 to 2004 and believe me I've seen people that will go on to do great things and people that will never amount to anything like any other group of people. Gladly, I'm the former as I always keep topping myself and other people's expectations of me. I may not be "normal", but I can adept to the "norm" because I have the mind, soul, and heart to do what it takes to make it in a neurotypical society. Now, if I can get a woman who is normal or is in my level of autism, life would be perfect for me.

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 5:35 pm

I saw the pbs neurotypical documentary. I thought that it was great. I liked how when I saw the characters I could see part of me in them, in the similarities we share. Which goes to prove that Autistics don't have theory of mind claim is false. There was also a part of the documentary which I thought was funny and which I had sort of once thought my self; where nineteen minutes into the show a women said that she used to think that the reason why people made small talk was because most of them were idiots that had no interesting thoughts to talk about, and then went on to explain how she came to realize the real reason was that they took pleasure from human interaction, and that she now understood that most people are not idiots. Which is an interesting thing if you think of it. She had assumed the neurotypical behaviors were caused by mental deficiency, the way that neurotypicals make the mistake the behaviors of autistics as being caused by mental deficiency, and with both if they come to understand the real reasons for the others behaviors, they can come to appreciate the intelligence of each other and come to respect one another.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 11:14 pm

Didn't even know about, thanks for the tip-
did a search & found it on PBS's website:

PBS Neurotypical on POV

Edit:
Went & watched the documentary, enjoyed it
though got annoyed with the kid-related story because I was impatient to get to the adult's story.
It was a mere 52 mins. & I'd recommend it to others.

PaulaDurbin-Westby
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Aug 2013, 1:53 am

My actual point of view about being in the film. http://paulacdurbinwestbyautisticblog.b ... do_26.html

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 2:31 am

I didn't even know this had been on. Perhaps they'll have it on Xfinity On Demand.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 12:31 pm

I commend Paula for agreeing to be in the doc. (though she may have misgivings),
as I wouldn't be able to stand up to that level of scrutiny &
strangers crafting a reductive narrative from my complex, nuanced life (which we all have).
Thanks to her for being in the film,
and I'm sorry that how it turned out couldn't help but to be a simplistic warped version of her world
(as any media portrayals tend to be).

Dubious1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2013, 10:46 pm

How a link or all ya non americans http://vidbull.com/dj4tn033sugy.html

pi_woman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2013, 12:47 pm

Explaining ASD from the spectrumites' point of view was long overdue.