Can People with Asperger's Syndrome join the Army ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 12:46 pm

If given the choice and the opportunities people, who have some sense in them, probably prefer to obtain technical training, job experience and all that kind of stuff in an environment that is safe instead of potentially harmful and dangerous. The benefits of all that knowledge and all of these experiences the army supposedly provides, quickly becomes obsolete when someone gets killed in "the line of duty" as it's so cynically called. What duty! The duty to get yourself killed in the name of a government that stays safe at home? I don't think so. I don't see it as my duty to get myself killed or to get wounded and/or severely traumatised. Governments that send their subjects of to war don't seem to give a s**t when these same subjects come back home as shadows of their former selves after being in an indesribable ordeal.

Last edited by pokerface on 07 Aug 2013, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 1:06 pm

pokerface wrote:
If given the choice and the opportunities people, who have some sense in them, probably prefer to obtain technical training, job experience and all that kind of stuff in an environment that is safe instead of potentially harmful and dangerous. The benefits of all that knowledge and all of these experiences the army supposedly provides, quickly becomes obsolete when someone gets killed in "the line of duty" as it's so cynically called. What duty! The duty to get yourself killed in the name of a government that stays safe at home? I don't think so. I don't see it as my duty to get myself killed or to get wounded and/or severely traumatised. Governments that send their subjects of to war don't seem to give a sh** when these same subjects come back home as shadows of their former selves after being in an indesribable ordeal.

By now it's abundantly clear that you're a pacifist so there's no sense going further on this.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 1:11 pm

I don't know if I am a a pacifist. It's complicated Raptor.

It is so see easy to come to certain conclusions in the safety of your own living room. I never take myself too seriously when I am on this forum which is probably for the best.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 1:25 pm

I'd have to say that the life skills I got while in the military have served me well. The technical training . . .
Well it has been useful in my line of work, but i isn't widely accepted outside of the military. I had to take dozens of classes where I knew more than those teaching me because colleges don't accept large portions of military training. And I don't get to count much of my military experience when it comes to jobs directly related to my field. I still have to get another 3 years of experience in radiation safety to sit for my boards because the 6 years I spent doing it the military don't count (they also didn't count when applying for a civilian government job).

The veteran benefits are nice, but of limited usefulness. The college money I got didn't entirely cover my 4 year degree tuition, I still can't afford a house (so the VA loan is worthless to me), and my healthcare through the VA is not covered because I make too much money and I do not have a service connected disability.

I personally believe that the US has not been a justifiable conflict in nearly 70 years. We have been playing "world police" since WWII and trying to turn the rest of the world into carbon copies of ourselves; I think this is where a lot of our problems come from. Even most of the terrorist organizations that tend to target America would not be attacking the US if we hadn't been poking our nose into affairs that were none of our business. Where do you think the Taliban got its initial training, funding and arms? We gave it to them so they could fight off the "killer commies" when Russia was poking its nose into Afghani affairs (which we are currently doing in almost the exact same way).

I know that armed conflict is a necessity at times, but it should be a last resort, not a first response. I just feel like it's high time we start realizing that there is no such thing as "us" and "them" - there is just "us." Maybe then we wouldn't see so many people dying needlessly amidst so much political justification and rationalization.

I just don't feel like any type of violence should be the answer until all other options have been exhausted. Violence breeds violence. You can label me as a pacifist if you want. There are much worse labels out there.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 1:40 pm

sonofghandi wrote:
I'd have to say that the life skills I got while in the military have served me well. The technical training . . .
Well it has been useful in my line of work, but i isn't widely accepted outside of the military. I had to take dozens of classes where I knew more than those teaching me because colleges don't accept large portions of military training. And I don't get to count much of my military experience when it comes to jobs directly related to my field. I still have to get another 3 years of experience in radiation safety to sit for my boards because the 6 years I spent doing it the military don't count (they also didn't count when applying for a civilian government job).

The veteran benefits are nice, but of limited usefulness. The college money I got didn't entirely cover my 4 year degree tuition, I still can't afford a house (so the VA loan is worthless to me), and my healthcare through the VA is not covered because I make too much money and I do not have a service connected disability.

I personally believe that the US has not been a justifiable conflict in nearly 70 years. We have been playing "world police" since WWII and trying to turn the rest of the world into carbon copies of ourselves; I think this is where a lot of our problems come from. Even most of the terrorist organizations that tend to target America would not be attacking the US if we hadn't been poking our nose into affairs that were none of our business. Where do you think the Taliban got its initial training, funding and arms? We gave it to them so they could fight off the "killer commies" when Russia was poking its nose into Afghani affairs (which we are currently doing in almost the exact same way).

I know that armed conflict is a necessity at times, but it should be a last resort, not a first response. I just feel like it's high time we start realizing that there is no such thing as "us" and "them" - there is just "us." Maybe then we wouldn't see so many people dying needlessly amidst so much political justification and rationalization.

I just don't feel like any type of violence should be the answer until all other options have been exhausted. Violence breeds violence. You can label me as a pacifist if you want. There are much worse labels out there.

I agree with you but I do wonder why the US is always seen as the agressor. I don't think that;s entirely true.
Many people from oustide the US seem to have an obsessive and unhealthy relationship with that part of the world. I don't have that problem. The USA is still one of my favorite countries in the world eventhough I have never been there yet.

This is not coming from a US citizen by the way.

fract
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Oct 2014, 3:08 pm

I served in the army (field artillery, actually) and was commended for good service. This is really weird, as I expected to be a really bad soldier, and didn't get any promotions (in reserve as private).

The daily routines made me feel safe, it provided an important framework and let me prove myself in some way, at least to myself. You know, in work life and elsewhere you have to deal with all kinds of people, many of which you don't like, so in the army living in the same accommodations with so many guys helps you learn skills to do that.

Adam1990caw1999
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Apr 2016, 8:23 am

https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... vJCDpfeZRe

Petition to change policy on ban on people with aspergers joining British forces and to change it to a case by case basis. Please sign and share

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 1:05 am

my time in the army taught me that it was the single biggest mistake i ever made, by a longshot. in retrospect, i was surrounded by other people whose behaviors made me think they were autistic to a variable extent, IOW the traits were visible - the enthusiasm for policy and procedure over common sense, the picayune attention to trivial details, the hidebound worship of rules.

arabian1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Apr 2016, 9:24 am

I thought about joining the military when i was in high school.i was a typical macho teen and wanted to be a green beret,ranger,or navy seal. I still think about joining the national guard , maybe
As a medic , mechanic or combat engineer. I would want to join more for
The opportunity for personal growth and service to my country. I just worry about getting someone killed because i screwed up.i think the military is being downsized right now though.i would be wary of joining because of our feckless
Politicians and the way they handeled the war in iraq.however ,i doubt the military would want a 30 year old man who still lives with his parents and still doesn't have a driver's licencse.