Can People with Asperger's Syndrome join the Army ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mikecartwright
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2013, 1:49 am

Can People with Asperger's Syndrome join the Army ?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 8:03 am

Yes, as long as you don't tell them that you have it.

Strange ... I thrived under the structure and discipline of the Navy, although I thought that the social politics sucked.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

31 Jul 2013, 8:18 am

I believe you would be 4-F if you are diagnosed tho or at least need to get a waiver or something

I know there are a decent amount of members on here that are/have been in the military so they'd know more than me and can correct me if I'm wrong

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 9:53 am

Do not tell them.Don't even mention if you have a stubbed toe.It's their business to find out,if they don't,you are in the clear.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 9:58 am

I don't know about AS but I couldn't join because I use meds for ADHD.

Almighty_CRJ
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jul 2013, 5:32 pm

It's on the exclusion list for the UK Royal Armed forces.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 12:17 pm

Don't ask. Don't tell.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 12:20 pm

It's also on an exclusion list in the Danish Armed Forces according to an army doctor and recruiter I spoke with.... about 8 or 9 years after I had completed my military service.

Danimal
Toucan
Toucan

03 Aug 2013, 1:37 am

If they don't ask, you are under no obligation to tell them about your AS.
I was in the US Army for over 20 years. I also thrived on the structure and discipline. Even though I lived with lots of people in the barracks, I found ways to become alone and recharge.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 9:00 am

I spent 6 years in the Navy and also thrived. The structure makes it so that all the ambiguity of the civilian world are minimized. There is no question about the way things are supposed to work. That being said, it is likely that you will have some issues with your superiors. A large portion of advancement (once you get past the beginning ranks) has a very social factor to it, but if you are more concerned about having a job where the rules aren't open to interpretation, I'd say go for it.

I did not tell them about the AS, because when I enlisted I had no idea what it was. I was forced to go to the mental health clinic after a bit of a meltdown (arguing with my chief about my "anti-social behavior" because I didn't go out drinking with the rest of the division). That was one I was told that I had AS, but I was "diagnosed" as having high functioning autism in my record so that I could still serve (since it is not an official diagnosis).

Arran
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2013, 6:26 am

If armed forces prohibit people with AS from joining then does it mean that they are exempt from conscription in a time of war or from having to do national service of a military variety?

Back in 2000 there was some debate over whether disabled people should be allowed to join the British armed forced and a conclusion was reached that there is no place for them. I presume at the time this applied to traditional physical disabilities and severe mental conditions rather than AS. I enquired about disabled people in the armed forced in Singapore because they have compulsory military service. The reply was that there are desk jobs for them.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 9:02 am

I don't understand why people voluntarily join the army and maybe even participate in wars.
Wars are nothing more than legalized mass murder and serial killing. Revolting and cruel is an understatement here. It is a gigantic failure of us humans that armies are still necessary.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 9:09 am

pokerface wrote:
I don't understand why people voluntarily join the army and maybe even participate in wars.
Wars are nothing more than legalized mass murder and serial killing. Revolting and cruel is an understatement here. It is a gigantic failure of us humans that armies are still necessary.

I don't know about others, but I joined the military because I had no other realistic options to pull myself above the poverty line.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 9:16 am

sonofghandi wrote:
pokerface wrote:

I don't know about others, but I joined the military because I had no other realistic options to pull myself above the poverty line.

I do understand that!
I think it is another example of human failure that lots of people have no option but to choose between poverty and the risk of getting themselves killed or wounded. I symphatize with all the soldiers who are and where in that position. It speaks for itself that I don't mean that the individuals who had to choose for the army failed, but the governments of the countries they live in.

Last edited by pokerface on 07 Aug 2013, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

07 Aug 2013, 10:07 am

Arran wrote:
If armed forces prohibit people with AS from joining then does it mean that they are exempt from conscription in a time of war or from having to do national service of a military variety?

Back in 2000 there was some debate over whether disabled people should be allowed to join the British armed forced and a conclusion was reached that there is no place for them. I presume at the time this applied to traditional physical disabilities and severe mental conditions rather than AS. I enquired about disabled people in the armed forced in Singapore because they have compulsory military service. The reply was that there are desk jobs for them.

I believe that would be be the case.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 12:22 pm

pokerface wrote:

Technical training, job experience, leadership training, college money, VA benefits, etc.....

Quote:

There will always be war or the threat of war. The best way to prevent war, or at least have a chance at winning, is to always be prepared for it.
By this time in history it really shouldn't need explaining.