Anyone else with Asperger's planning on joining the Army?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Phssthpok
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Aug 2013, 8:28 pm

Youtube has a huge repository of combat footage and watching it makes me wish I could be over there. The funny thing is I would be more concerned about living in a barracks than being shot at. Other aspects of military life are probably pretty amenable to AS since it is so regimented in every way.. You would know exactly what is expected of you in almost every situations. But even though I would be an officer if I went in now I can't guarantee I wouldn't have to live in barracks at some point which I could not handle.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 5:07 am

velocirapture wrote:
I believe auntie blabbie on these boards was in the armed services. You might try to get in touch.

He was.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Aug 2013, 5:22 am

jamieevren1210 wrote:
I'm Taiwanese. I might consider applying to the National Defense Medical College to study medicine after high school.
If that's the case then I will be enlisted in the military as a medic.

Note: Med schools in Taiwan=6 years of studying +2 years of PGY (Previously 7+1)
Graduates from said military med school have to serve for at least 17.5 years

So you'd be signing away 25 years of your life when you were only aged 18? That's an unimaginably large commitment.

I know Taiwan has an element of autonomy, but would you theoretically be obliged to serve in any wars that China got itself into?

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 8:37 am

The_Walrus wrote:
jamieevren1210 wrote:
I'm Taiwanese. I might consider applying to the National Defense Medical College to study medicine after high school.

Note: Med schools in Taiwan=6 years of studying +2 years of PGY (Previously 7+1)

So you'd be signing away 25 years of your life when you were only aged 18? That's an unimaginably large commitment.

I know Taiwan has an element of autonomy, but would you theoretically be obliged to serve in any wars that China got itself into?

That's why I'd actually prefer public and private med schools (there are about a dozen)
Veterans are well respected in Taiwan and usually do not have to worry about pension and retirement etc...we have hospitals such as the Veterans' Hospital and Armed Forces Hospital. Those are all open to the public so I guess it's just like being an ordinary doctor who happens to be a part of the armed forces...assuming that there aren't any wars going on, that is.

Also, the Taiwanese army is independent. According to our constitution the Taiwanese wouldn't have to fight for China. Technically, we aren't even a part of PRC but officially declaring that would be dangerous. PRC has plans to annihilate Taiwan if we declare independence. As far as most citizens are concerned, Taiwan is a country.
It's...complicated. :wink:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Aug 2013, 10:11 am

jamieevren1210 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
jamieevren1210 wrote:

That's why I'd actually prefer public and private med schools (there are about a dozen)
Veterans are well respected in Taiwan and usually do not have to worry about pension and retirement etc...we have hospitals such as the Veterans' Hospital and Armed Forces Hospital. Those are all open to the public so I guess it's just like being an ordinary doctor who happens to be a part of the armed forces...assuming that there aren't any wars going on, that is.

Also, the Taiwanese army is independent. According to our constitution the Taiwanese wouldn't have to fight for China. Technically, we aren't even a part of PRC but officially declaring that would be dangerous. PRC has plans to annihilate Taiwan if we declare independence. As far as most citizens are concerned, Taiwan is a country.
It's...complicated. :wink:

That sounds okay then, as long as your government doesn't annoy the PRC then I guess you are safe.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 9:08 pm

No. And I got away from mandatory service . It would never work so many pwople. Never time alone. Not to mention I'm a calm guy but if some military dude yells at me. He is gonna get broken bones. Not to mention lack of sleep just makes me more angry.

It could never work for me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 12:30 am

jamieevren1210 wrote:
velocirapture wrote:
I believe auntie blabbie on these boards was in the armed services. You might try to get in touch.

He was.

it was no great shakes. there were a lot of overcompensating very-high-functioning aspies [I saw in retrospect] who were all my bosses, and they were hell on wheels, lemme tell ya! I had no business in anybody's army. not even the salvation army was for me. I hated being forced to be organized beyond my capabilities. I hated the regimentation. I hated the forced conformity. I could not conform no matter what, so they chewed me up and spit me out after my hitch was over.