Can a person with Asperger Syndrome to learn Computer Progra

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

mikecartwright
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2013, 2:18 am

Hello my question is would it be possible for a person with Asperger Syndrome to learn Computer Programming ?

Choosing the Right Job for People with Autism or Asperger's Syndrome

Computer programming -- Wide-open field with many jobs available especially in industrial automation, software design, business computers, communications and network systems

http://www.iidc.indiana.edu/?pageId=596

Dubious1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2013, 2:50 am

Thats what Im doing through direction of my cognitive therapist - out of choice of myself of course. She's great and encouraging. The course which is very basic is starting to drive me insane through the struggle of attention but the new info seems to be geling well.

I read a theory of one guy as to the rise in ASD. The world we live in has become so refined that jobs like this bring like minded people closer together. Therefore the odds of passing genes down the line increase - aswell of the likely hood of meeting like minded people.

Sounds like a good option if ya like crunching codes.

Roninninja
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Aug 2013, 3:44 pm

If you are good with numbers and logic, it may be the perfect career for you. Also patience and availability is something that may be needed for this path. A programmer can sometimes spend up to 20 hours a day working on a contract/program.

mitch413
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Aug 2013, 9:59 pm

Absolutely, especially if you're good with logical reasoning and math. Programming involves being able to think like a computer does, which is in black and white terms (i.e. Boolean logic).

You can take courses at a local college, online, or on your own. If you want a more structured environment and college credit, I'd recommend courses. Java, Python, and C++ are some good languages to learn.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 12:40 am

one should not take for granted, that just because one is on the spectrum that one necessarily has the right stuff to do advanced maths and logic.

RComplex
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Aug 2013, 7:28 pm

It is possible. There is a company out in Denmark that hires Aspie's to train for Computer Programming work since it's specialized. Not only do they train you on the computer, but they offer life skills training such as managing time, money, etc. I forget the name, but I read about it in Developing Talents from Temple Grandin.

We need something like that here :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 7:31 pm

RComplex wrote:
It is possible. There is a company out in Denmark that hires Aspie's to train for Computer Programming work since it's specialized. Not only do they train you on the computer, but they offer life skills training such as managing time, money, etc. I forget the name, but I read about it in Developing Talents from Temple Grandin. We need something like that here :lol:

yes, that is very humane on the part of the Danish company.

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2013, 10:45 pm

I did a little bit at a time so I could balance it with my usual interests. There are plenty of online sources along with books.