Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 11:00 pm

Yeah. Got a few first dates, that is about it.

Mike_the_EE
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2014, 8:27 pm

Mike_the_EE wrote:
Well, I hate to break with the majority here. But my experience on OKCuipd has been great. I received an unsolicited message from a really wonderful woman. The only problem is that she lives in another state. We messaged for weeks, then moved to email and phone and next week I am flying to Colorado so we can meet. I have disabled my OKC account and will probably delete it after this trip. I really don't want to do the long distance relationship thing, but she is worth it.

Well, not that anyone will particularly care, but this crashed and burned. I went to Colorado a couple of times and it was wonderful, she was everything that I dreamed of and we fell in love. The long distance relationship thing was tough, but we were making it work. She came to Ohio in January and everything was different. She was a completely different person and we had no romance at all. When she returned to Colorado, everything that we were building started to come apart, but she insisted that absolutely nothing had changed. Things got so strange that I started to break it off, and then she started to hallucinate. Apparently, she is an undiagnosed schizophrenic, not something that I can deal with, particularly 1000 miles apart. The ending wasn't pretty.

I'm done with the dating thing for a while. Possibly forever. Getting too old to do this.

Aspie Score 141 of 200
NT Score 50 of 200

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 11:29 am

Mike_the_EE wrote:
Mike_the_EE wrote:
Well, I hate to break with the majority here. But my experience on OKCuipd has been great. I received an unsolicited message from a really wonderful woman. The only problem is that she lives in another state. We messaged for weeks, then moved to email and phone and next week I am flying to Colorado so we can meet. I have disabled my OKC account and will probably delete it after this trip. I really don't want to do the long distance relationship thing, but she is worth it.

Well, not that anyone will particularly care, but this crashed and burned. I went to Colorado a couple of times and it was wonderful, she was everything that I dreamed of and we fell in love. The long distance relationship thing was tough, but we were making it work. She came to Ohio in January and everything was different. She was a completely different person and we had no romance at all. When she returned to Colorado, everything that we were building started to come apart, but she insisted that absolutely nothing had changed. Things got so strange that I started to break it off, and then she started to hallucinate. Apparently, she is an undiagnosed schizophrenic, not something that I can deal with, particularly 1000 miles apart. The ending wasn't pretty.

I'm done with the dating thing for a while. Possibly forever. Getting too old to do this.

Sorry to hear about this. How old are you? I ask because I found "true love" at age 55, but he was killed by a drunk driver last August, and some day I may be looking again (probably not anytime soon - it's still too painfully fresh).

IOW, I don't believe one is ever "too old" to find love. Had an uncle-by-marriage who married for the second time at age 84 in 1995 (they were both widowed), and as of 2004 they were still going strong. (Due to moving and remarrying I lost touch with them after that.)

Mike_the_EE
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Feb 2014, 12:00 pm

Eureka13 wrote:
Sorry to hear about this. How old are you? I ask because I found "true love" at age 55, but he was killed by a drunk driver last August, and some day I may be looking again (probably not anytime soon - it's still too painfully fresh).

IOW, I don't believe one is ever "too old" to find love. Had an uncle-by-marriage who married for the second time at age 84 in 1995 (they were both widowed), and as of 2004 they were still going strong. (Due to moving and remarrying I lost touch with them after that.)

I'm 52. This was actually my first full fledged love affair and I put all that I had into it. At least right now, I can't see doing this again.

I'm very sorry about your loss. I hope that you do find someone again.

Aspie Score 141 of 200
NT Score 50 of 200

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 12:44 pm

^^

I know the feeling of letdown you must be experiencing. Funny thing is, last time I swore off men/relationships forever was when I met my late fiance. :)

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 1:51 pm

I did but I don't now.

Too many comments on the size of my tits when I had photos which showed anything below the neck (I can't help a little cleavage I have a 38 FF breast size..it is hard to find clothing that covers them or hides them even if it does not have a low cut neck) and then no messages at all if I just included a face shot with no make up and glasses on to stop the ones who just wanted sex from bothering me. I don't think its a site for people looking for relationships. I think it's a hook up place.

They made me feel like was the local free prostitution service or something. It upset me so I deleted my profile and did not go back there.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 1:53 pm

Eureka13 wrote:
^^

I know the feeling of letdown you must be experiencing. Funny thing is, last time I swore off men/relationships forever was when I met my late fiance. :)

I have sworn off men before but this never happened to me.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 2:05 pm

I got a few dates, but nothing serious. I left OKCupid about 2 years ago.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

AspieXLDS
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Feb 2014, 1:22 am

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Men rarely get unsolicited messages on OkCupid. I had an excellent profile and good results with women I took initiative with, but even then my unsolicited contacts pretty much amounted to 1 or 2 when I would change something in my profile and end up in the news feed. The girls who did were all lower quality than the ones I would initiate with.

I would never use OkCupid outside a major city. The quality isn't there.

Another bit of advice: if you're not religious, and live in a religious area, don't bother with OkCupid or any other sites because in general, people are only interested in meeting those nearby (within 15 miles). I'll just have to wait until I find a way to move elsewhere. I'm almost thinking NYC.

headhunter228
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2014, 2:14 am

AspieXLDS wrote:
...because in general, people are only interested in meeting those nearby (within 15 miles). I'll just have to wait until I find a way to move elsewhere. I'm almost thinking NYC.

Earlier in this thread, someone suggested not bothering with a dating site if you're outside of a major city...but what about a college town?

-Count Threpe, The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Ztrain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2014, 8:07 am

A good site simply because its that rare dating site where the women are cool and the men are awful. If you dont ask for sex in the first message to somebody, than you are already better than 75% of the men on OKC.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 11:50 pm

Ztrain wrote:
A good site simply because its that rare dating site where the women are cool and the men are awful. If you dont ask for sex in the first message to somebody, than you are already better than 75% of the men on OKC.

are you a woman?

i would say my experience has been the opposite of you, although i don't look/message the guys to know how bad they are. but alot of the women are very shallow. not all of them though, I've talked to a few nice ones and some who are just rude.

I wish what you say was true, cause then I'd have a lot more luck.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 12:52 am

headhunter228 wrote:
AspieXLDS wrote:
...because in general, people are only interested in meeting those nearby (within 15 miles). I'll just have to wait until I find a way to move elsewhere. I'm almost thinking NYC.

Earlier in this thread, someone suggested not bothering with a dating site if you're outside of a major city...but what about a college town?

If you live in a college town, go where the college-aged women hang out at. That would seem to be the easiest way to find a potential mate.