Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

American
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2013, 6:45 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Aside from bumping this (I'm seeing people asking about dating sites in other threads), I wanted to mention that I recently lost my first potential date ever due to politics.

I was IMing with someone and hitting it off pretty well, we even knew a few of the same people on my little island, when she started asking me about politics. I tried to keep it light and only mention the fairly conventional aspects of my beliefs, criminal justice reform, a better voting system, social safety net stuff, etc, when she just point blank asked me about guns, which just happen to be my special interest and sometimes profession. Being honest, I said that I'd actually gone to school as a gunsmith, had worked in the industry, and wasn't particularly fond of gun control generally, which is all usually third date material for me since I don't like people making snap judgments about me, and I was proven right in this case as I immediately got hit with a flurry of anti-gun links and invective, and got dropped like a rock.

Now I've dated women who didn't like guns before, but in every case they've liked me enough to overlook the issue, and if they've spent any length of time with me they've become comfortable around them, if not enthusiastic for them (though it's surprising how many women will come around if taken to the range). I've actually seen a handful of honest to god "come to Jesus" moments when I've been out with a woman and *something* has happened around us that frightened her, and then she's realized that I'm carrying, and further realized that she's comforted by that. BUT, that requires getting past someones "filters" in the first place, which means not putting out everything about me right up front.

Learn from my mistake; don't talk politics with potential dates, only woe lies down that path! :oops:

Because politics and current are my biggest interests that I have strong opinions about and spend a lot of time thinking and learning about, I would need a woman who is also passionate about politics and in agreement with me about at least some important issues. She doesn't have to agree with me about every political or philosophical issue but she must be interested in discussing these matters, well-informed, and intelligent. By the way this reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine starts dating this tall good-looking guy who is a deliveryman for a furniture store called the Lumbar Yard (lol!). She is devastated when she asks him about abortion and finds out that he opposes Roe v. Wade so they break up.