Page 56 of 57 [ 899 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 11:00 am

And this is likely part of the issue with the failure of the online registration system..for the new health care act system...

There are not enough government employees with enough time to properly write a contract...

And the contract employees only have to do what is in the contract...

Nah..they do not have to do 15 different jobs that are not in their contract job description...

It is a common fallacy that contract employees are more efficient than government employees and an obvious one...for people who are actually doing the jobs..and responsible for the end product..

As government employees can be slaved in to many jobs..as they are not controlled by clauses in contracts...

If real government employees..enough of them..worked to create that system..more than likely it would have worked..

Ergo NASA.. and the success there..in the 60's.. run by almost all dedicated GOVERNMENT CIVIL SERVICE EMPLOYEES...

THE POINT IS NO MATTER HOW LAZY SOME OF THE NASA FOLKS MIGHT HAVE BEEN..THE PRODUCT WAS DELIVERED ON TIME..AND IN PROPER WORKING ORDER..ENOUGH TO SUCCESSFULLY GET to THE MOON....

There really is no other practical explanation..for the failure of the health care act..online registration system...

i watched the same thing predictably happen when the DOD consolidated computer systems..for what IS called NMCI....

6 months..'quickly' turned in to 5 years..

As the refrain of it's not in our contract was sung over and over and over....again...

Where i was effectively and successfully performing 15 jobs..while they were whining about 1..with another duty..that was not in the contract...

Seriously.. in total effect.. this is just another friggin conspiracy theory..promoted by right wing and alex jones type enthusiasts...

it's just BS..as usual...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 11:07 am

aghogday wrote:
Raptor wrote:
sonofghandi wrote:
I'm sure there are differences betweeen different offices and departments, but to assume that government workers are all the way that they are continuously portrayed by those who wish they got better pensions and health coverage is absurd.

I don't think anyone said that each individual government employee is worthless but there are enough that are to taint the government as a whole. It is a perfect breeding ground for bureaucracy, incompetence, and over the top arrogance. I could sit here and write page after page of experiences and observations from the perspective of being a government contractor employee working closely with employees of a few federal goveremnt entities.

WELL DUDE being a contractor and working around them...isn't close to having the full responsibilities of a government worker in our modern day...

You would have to actually be a government employee to understand their full 40 hour week..not just passing observations of contract employees..been there done that..the government contract employees at the military installation i worked at...read books and played video game with their feet propped up..as they could get away with..it..as most of 'em were retired military folks..and the buddy system was in effect...

It did not work that way... with either active duty military or real government employees..that were not in the good ole boy place...

Who were only getting one paycheck..and not another one2.. they could rely on.. no matter how may video games they played in their current job...

So in others words.. obviously my personal experience... is only my personal experience..

But the same applies to you....

I don't have to become a dog to know dogs behavior nor am I going to peruse a civil service job just so I can report from the inside to your liking.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 11:22 am

And now to be crystal..clear.. if a private corporation was responsible for the ACA with no red tape of a federal contract..it very likely could have been as or more efficient..than any completely government employee organized and run effort...

There has been more waste with the red tape of federal contracts..than almost any organized effort to get a job done anywhere in this country...

Federal contracts are what is more ripe for abuse than any other part of organized government efforts..

Ergo Iraq..and all the crap that happened there too..when rebuilding that country...

It's the effective reason we even went..free money for federal contracts....

Dick Cheney and his federal contract cohorts..if i need go any further..on that more than obvious incentive..for a money free for all....

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 11:26 am

Raptor wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Raptor wrote:
sonofghandi wrote:
I'm sure there are differences betweeen different offices and departments, but to assume that government workers are all the way that they are continuously portrayed by those who wish they got better pensions and health coverage is absurd.

I don't think anyone said that each individual government employee is worthless but there are enough that are to taint the government as a whole. It is a perfect breeding ground for bureaucracy, incompetence, and over the top arrogance. I could sit here and write page after page of experiences and observations from the perspective of being a government contractor employee working closely with employees of a few federal goveremnt entities.

WELL DUDE being a contractor and working around them...isn't close to having the full responsibilities of a government worker in our modern day...

You would have to actually be a government employee to understand their full 40 hour week..not just passing observations of contract employees..been there done that..the government contract employees at the military installation i worked at...read books and played video game with their feet propped up..as they could get away with..it..as most of 'em were retired military folks..and the buddy system was in effect...

It did not work that way... with either active duty military or real government employees..that were not in the good ole boy place...

Who were only getting one paycheck..and not another one2.. they could rely on.. no matter how may video games they played in their current job...

So in others words.. obviously my personal experience... is only my personal experience..

But the same applies to you....

I don't have to become a dog to know dogs behavior nor am I going to peruse a civil service job just so I can report from the inside to your liking.

Seriously..not likely you could handle it dude..from what i've seen so far from you only in words...so that's probably a good choice..overall...

in just my opinion..of course...

It ain't easy even if you ain't autistic to be a government employee...

You HAVE TO PLAY BY THEIR RULES..NOT BY YOURS...

AND THAT'S A FACT... and nah i do not see that even possibly happening with ya....but i could be incorrect..as i know only words from ya....

And that's fine.. ya really don't need that stress..in my opinion..either..cause i've been there done it..friend....

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 11:52 am

/\
Yes, I'm quite terrible.
:twisted:

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 12:04 pm

Raptor wrote:
/\
Yes, I'm quite terrible.
:twisted:

well..yah..it was not fun having to play by everyone else's rules for 24 years...

And you can bet i do not do it now...

i play by my rules..and yah..that's fun..

But i'm retired..makes it easy...:)

i sincerely hope the same for you..to be free..truly free..

wherever you find it....

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 12:31 pm

sonofghandi wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
^^^
I think while it's advisable for people to take care of themselves, and they should accept a degree of the responsibility of their actions, there is still a huge difference between the irresponsible, and the purposefully malign.

Well, if you'd spent any time working for/or with the federal government you'd know what kind of ass-hattery, irresponsibility, and maggotry it's capable of and partakes in daily. :?

I have indeed dealt with social workers employed by Adult Protective Services when my late Mom had been getting on Medicaid, and I can most assuredly say that these bastards were lazy, vindictive, and got more vacation time than anyone should be entitled to.

I currently work for the federal government. I will definitely agree that the amount of paid time off is extremely excessive (especially when you consider that all the federal holidays are paid days off). But I will say that I have seen no more laziness or irresponsibility than I have seen working outside of the federal government. I'm sure there are differences betweeen different offices and departments, but to assume that government workers are all the way that they are continuously portrayed by those who wish they got better pensions and health coverage is absurd.

Well, I admit that my perception of these particular social workers had been tainted because they and I had not exactly parted on the best of terms.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 6:58 am

So, after FOUR MONTHS of trying. I finally got signed on to the ACA.

Not happy about it. But being unemployed, I need to eliminate my costs as much as possible, and I'd be penalized for NOT having health insurance.

The problem I had getting on? The stupid computer system kept deleting answers on my application. Someone on the other end had to manually enter the answers.

On my first try, I guessed my income based on minimum wage and 20 hours a week (what I can expect around here). I got nothing. Yes, Medicaid was expanded, but other than NOT wanting to be on Medicaid, my state was one of many that did not elect to expand Medicaid coverage. Subsidized coverage started at 11,490. Doing the math, that was basically 25 hours a week or more, which is feasible since I need more than a 20-hour per week job. I refiled the app with my expected income at $11,500, and that got me subsidized coverage.

Of course, I need to watch my income, and if I may go over that (or get a good job), I need to set aside for every penny the government paid for because the IRS may require me to repay part or all of it in 2015. [sarcasm] Good thing the ACA made everything simpler, right? [/sarcasm]

So, all you tax paying people get to foot the bill for my health insurance. I'm paying MORE (total cost) for a lesser policy than what I'm coming off of. [sarcasm] Another victory for the ACA. [/sarcasm]

The guy at the call center was very sympathetic. He suggested they set up a bar in the workplace (even if it was a cash bar) because of all the headaches they've had since day one. It was only in the last month they started getting things worked out so that policies could go forwards, and he acknowledged how stupid it was that to get a subsidized policy a person had to go through them or the website. It only bottlenecks the application process when any insurance office can take down the information and get things done.

I did just start with a tax prep service. So, soon I get to deal with all the bums rushing in to claim their EIC credit where the government gives them a refund they never earned...all footed by the taxpayers.

I, of course, don't qualify for the EIC because it's really set up to reward people for popping out kids that we'll have no jobs for after they finish high school.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 9:43 am

zer0netgain wrote:
So, after FOUR MONTHS of trying. I finally got signed on to the ACA.

Not happy about it. But being unemployed, I need to eliminate my costs as much as possible, and I'd be penalized for NOT having health insurance.

The problem I had getting on? The stupid computer system kept deleting answers on my application. Someone on the other end had to manually enter the answers.

On my first try, I guessed my income based on minimum wage and 20 hours a week (what I can expect around here). I got nothing. Yes, Medicaid was expanded, but other than NOT wanting to be on Medicaid, my state was one of many that did not elect to expand Medicaid coverage. Subsidized coverage started at 11,490. Doing the math, that was basically 25 hours a week or more, which is feasible since I need more than a 20-hour per week job. I refiled the app with my expected income at $11,500, and that got me subsidized coverage.

Of course, I need to watch my income, and if I may go over that (or get a good job), I need to set aside for every penny the government paid for because the IRS may require me to repay part or all of it in 2015. [sarcasm] Good thing the ACA made everything simpler, right? [/sarcasm]

So, all you tax paying people get to foot the bill for my health insurance. I'm paying MORE (total cost) for a lesser policy than what I'm coming off of. [sarcasm] Another victory for the ACA. [/sarcasm]

The guy at the call center was very sympathetic. He suggested they set up a bar in the workplace (even if it was a cash bar) because of all the headaches they've had since day one. It was only in the last month they started getting things worked out so that policies could go forwards, and he acknowledged how stupid it was that to get a subsidized policy a person had to go through them or the website. It only bottlenecks the application process when any insurance office can take down the information and get things done.

I did just start with a tax prep service. So, soon I get to deal with all the bums rushing in to claim their EIC credit where the government gives them a refund they never earned...all footed by the taxpayers.

I, of course, don't qualify for the EIC because it's really set up to reward people for popping out kids that we'll have no jobs for after they finish high school.

Well sadly enough..ya could credit the good upstanding evangelistic christians republican politicians in your state for taking food out the mouth of babes like yah..friend..sad but true..

i guess ya could always move to a more compassionate and feeling state though if ya like...and or if ya could....

Freedom ..liberty..justice...and all of that..

But here's the thing..there really ain't no real crime in not getting the insurance if ya truly cannot pay it...

The system is set up for naysayers..and that is the truth to..if ya hold true to your own personal will and values...

I don't play by stupid rules..i don't get afraid if i drive 26 in a 25 zone...

Sometimes it is one of those things ya have to do ..to stay alive.

the MOST noble thing of life

there
is..

so whAT this means as current law is written...and don't take my word for it please..verIFY it with your tax consultant or whoever you trust in real life...

But my understanding is that all the IRS could possibly do if you did decide to forgo the process and meet the fine...

iS all theY could do is take the fine out of your refund if you ever work again..even

and get one coming...

Your choice.. your will..and do what you have to do .. whatever i suppose...

But life ain't fair..and people are not fair...AT TIMES...

Including your state politicians obviously..

of course in just my

opinion

friend...

THAT REALLY SUCKS..IS ALL I CAN SAY..TRULY

AND GOVERNOR SCOTT @LEAST EQUALLY SUCKS IN FLORIDA..

IN MY JUST I CE..IN JUST MY OPINION TOO...

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 6:26 am

Interesting

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/10/us/li ... 18218&_r=0

States are signing prisoners up for Medicare now.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 11:21 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
Interesting

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/10/us/li ... 18218&_r=0

States are signing prisoners up for Medicare now.

^it is much cheaper that way. Several states were trying to do that back in the 90s so they could pay Medicare prices instead of whatever the hospital system felt like charging.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 10:05 am

While Thinkprogress tends to be a bit more preachy than I prefer, this is an interesting tidbit:

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/04/11/3425604/health-clinic-arkansas/

Quote:
“There was such a need for many years that we would have people coming through the medical clinic from the time the doors opened early in the morning all the way until 4:00 in the afternoon,” Bowser said. But over the past several months, that changed — and the number of patients in need has dwindled to next to nothing. Only about 80 people came through the clinic in February. By March, that was down to just three people.

“Our services won’t be needed anymore, and this will conclude our mission,” she explained.

(bolded for emphasis)

And another for those of you (on both sides of the aisle) who are so down on Sebelius, here is another interesting link:

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/04/10/3425593/sebelius-3/

Quote:
Sebelius and her team convinced red states to form partnership health care exchanges in which the federal government and the state would share responsibilities in running the marketplaces. They routinely presented GOP governors with information on all other state models and waivers, assuring them that they could customize reform to their specific state needs. As a result, several Republican-dominated states bucked the national party and chose to run their exchanges either on their own, or in collaboration with HHS.

The solutions became politically tenable to Republican lawmakers because they could claim that they were covering their residents on their own terms, using unique state-tailored solutions that rejected the “one-size-fits all” prescription of Obamacare. Sebelius’ policy flexibility provided conservatives with enough political cover to implement key parts of the law.

“It’s helpful that Secretary Sebelius has been a former governor and she understands the uniqueness of the states, the challenges we all face, which are different,” said Gary Herbert, the GOP governor from Utah, joining several other Republicans who have publicly praised her willingness to meet with hostile governors and answer their questions.

(bolded for emphasis)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 10:27 am

My take on Obamacare is that it seems to be focused almost entirely on the insurance industry and how to deal with them. Healthcare reform has to address a whole medley of issues, such as:

1. Availability of actual cures to diseases (if they exist), rather than limit everything to mere treatments.
2. Helping healthcare providers upgrade medical technology.
3. Ratcheting up R&D of higher quality, while also much more cost-efficient, technology and procedures.

As for socialized medicine, it isn't even close to being feasible given that we're trillions down the crapper.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 10:36 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
My take on Obamacare is that it seems to be focused almost entirely on the insurance industry and how to deal with them.

^QFT