(3) How much exercise they do

(4) How vigorous the exercise is

eating fruit,veggie,meat.
lifting,walking,running.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 4:38 pm

proper nutrition and exercise is not one-size-fits-all, but has to be tailored to the individual. some people have favorable genes that let them get away with eating a suboptimal diet and still be fit. for the rest of us, we have to mind our p's and q's to avoid plateauing at too high a weight for our bodies. in general, refined carbs are less than good, for most folks. HFCS is the worst. excess intake of such causes acidification of the blood ph balance, which leads to a cascade of bad health indicators [high blood ph->high insulin->vessel wall damage->high cholesterol->arterial plaques->inflammation->insulin resistance->metabolic syndrome/diabesity->premature aging and death. my weight didn't get back down to normal until I ditched the white stuff and ate my veggies every day just like mom told me to. restoring proper insulance sensitivity is the first step to a fitness regimen, so that the exercise can 1]utilize stored muscular glycogen for energy, and 2]cause body tissues to be re-sensitized to insulin so that circulating glycogen uptake to muscles/tissues rather than stored as visceral fat. :idea:

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 4:49 pm

Maybe they just started being health and so they still look pudgy. or
Maybe you're over critical of other people's looks. or
Maybe you don't know their whole story about eating right and exercising. or
Maybe they're lying. or
Maybe they're incorrect or ignorant of what is healthy. or
Maybe it's not your business to judge them. or
Maybe you simply enjoy trying to find "exceptions" to "generalized rules".

One cannot live life by "the exceptions" because those are rare by definition and therefore unlikely to be a reasonable avenue to success. (of any kind)
Though it does give one gobs of excuses to remain a failure at everything.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 7:02 pm

billiscool wrote:
I know people,male and female,that eat well,
exercise but are overweight and look unhealthy,
why is that.

It's probably because what you may "think" is healthy- is not. It's a gray area and everyone wants to believe they're healthy but they're buying into the wrong information.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 7:04 pm

ASDsmom wrote:
billiscool wrote:
I know people,male and female,that eat well,
exercise but are overweight and look unhealthy,
why is that.

It's probably because what you may "think" is healthy- is not. It's a gray area and everyone wants to believe they're healthy but they're buying into the wrong information.

they may temporarily have relatively high vigor, but high levels of visceral fat ["apple-shaped"] cannot be healthy over the long term.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 7:12 pm

Shape is shape. The OP mentioned "overweight" (excess fat - likely, unhealthy fats) and "looks unhealthy" - skin complexion, dark rings under the eyes maybe? Shape is just shape.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 8:53 pm

It is possible to be "overweight" and very healthy (physically fit), just as it's possible to be at your "ideal weight" and very unhealthy (in terrible physical shape). Weight/body fat alone doesn't determine health.

Love transcends all.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 5:09 am

I wonder if it's unhealthy to carry excess weight even if it's mostly muscles?
Wouldn't it still be too straining for the bone structure and heart?

woodster
Toucan
Toucan

31 Oct 2013, 5:45 am

I remember doing a bleep test like 13 years ago and there was this massive guy doing it at the same time, like age 45, built like a sumo, and he still did better than me.

lost561
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 7:27 am

Some people are screwed when it comes to genetics. If your one of those people why even bother?

CocoaNut
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Nov 2013, 2:29 pm

Because what you think (and what they think) is healthy is not. It's that simple.

First of all, no, it's not simple physics. Your body adjusts its basal metabolic rate based on the caloric imbalance to which it has access. In other words, you have to consistently overeat by a heck of a lot in order to put on weight. Similarly, you need to undereat in a similar fashion to lose weight. When I talk about overeating and undereating, keep in mind that I'm talking about in relation to your total caloric requirements, which includes exercise.

Access is the important issue here, and it's why people say that weight gain is a hormonal thing. Yes, but the hormones are only related to genetics, not pre-determined by them. The major hormones in question are insulin and cortisol. If you're provoking an insulin response with your diet and your body isn't clearing the insulin quickly enough, not only will you gain fat, but you could lose muscle as your muscles become desperate for energy and cannot access your fat stores. Cortisol is a bit different, but certain exercises that are deemed "healthy" by common knowledge release cortisol into your blood. Cortisol tells your body to put away fat in your belly, prioritizing muscle burning. This is the primary cause of what's known as being "skinny fat," more clinically as normal weight obesity.

Keep in mind that these hormones are controlled somewhat by genetics, and that cortisol can also come about from general stress. Really, though, the issue of genetics is when you're eating a diet that's unhealthy (in spite of claims otherwise) or doing exercises that are unhealthy (again, in spite of claims otherwise).

So, basically, those people that you know are eating things that are unhealthy that they're told are healthy, avoiding healthy things that they're told are unhealthy, and doing exercises that aren't good for them that they think will give them longevity.

Edit: A couple of notes, I suppose: I weighed over 400 lbs just a year ago. I've been eating healthy (haven't even been exercising that much, to be honest) and, since then, I've lost about 100 lbs, which means that I'm still over 300 lbs. I've lost weight, but eating healthy doesn't mean losing the weight instantly. That would, in fact, be unhealthy. It's not really about whether or not they have weight, it's more about whether or not they're losing weight at a healthy pace (not too fast).

The other note would be that it is true that different people have different body types, to the point that our modern society views them as overweight. This is not necessarily the case, especially if you're just looking at the scale. If I suddenly dropped down to a healhty BFP, I'd still be considered obese because of how much muscle mass I have. Some people's body types are thicker (not necessarily fatter, and while ideal BFP varies, it's usually within a small normal distribution) than others. Furthermore, healthy BFP goes up as we age, so someone that's 40 and has a higher BFP than a 20 year old that's considered healthy is actually healthier than a 40 year old with the same BFP as the 20 year old.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 6:05 pm

lost561 wrote:
Some people are screwed when it comes to genetics. If your one of those people why even bother?

because the second you give up, you might as well just hang up on life. amazingly enough, there are actual people who love me so I owe it to them to keep trying.