Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sonataform
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2013, 7:52 am

I had a massive panic attack - and didn't realise it, because the screen of my laptop died. I thought my computer was broke and I really had a freak out because all of my routines and vital files not yet able to be uploaded on cloud couldn't be accessed. I realised how dependent I was on a single computer. I have less anxiety now cos I sorted out an external monitor situation. However I've reflected on how much I as an aspergers person am dependent on having my computer as a form of constancy.

Is anyone else like this?

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 8:30 am

My personal laptop was just ruined. 10 laptops in 7 years. I dont get too attatched to them...

sonataform
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2013, 8:34 am

I've got an external drive, backups, cloud backups for recent files (but not everything. I've still not migrated my files from the previous computer when it creashed in 2011!) I really need things like google calendar to help organise my life...work, social life, personal hygiene...its all up in the air and confusing if I don't have something to keep me grounded.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 12:32 pm

About ten years ago when I had a computer hard drive fail on me, I realized just how much I rely on computers and the internet even for practical things. I had all my files backed up, photos, documents, etc, but I used my computer and online bill payments to pay just about every household bill you can name, including my monthly auto insurance, credit card payments, utility, etc. For a few days I had to use library computers just to stay on top of paying my bills! This was back when smartphones didn't exist yet -- now I'm might be able to get to my accounts using that.

It was great to do away with stamps and envelopes and checks, but paying everything online also means a momentary crisis when your 'puter dies! :lol:

General rule though, always keep your meaningful and important files backed up to an external drive and/or DVDs.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 12:39 pm

This computer I'm using now has died twice. The first time, the RAM chips went bad. The second time, the external power supply went bad. This left me without the computer for a week or two at a time. Very frustrating. I do depend on computers so I bought laptops, then returned them, when this computer was fixed.

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2013, 1:20 pm

god yes. i depend on my computer for EVERYTHING. information, communication, learning, pay my bills, entertainment. i even used to order groceries online.

i had one laptop stolen this past year and one other one got kicked accidentally and the power port has come unseated ithink, i may be able to break into it and fix it, but i'm down to one computer now and live in fear that something will happen to it too (it's kind of old). and i can't afford to replace it right now. please please little laptop make it another year and i promise to retire you with honors.

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 2:24 pm

Several months ago, I had a panic attack because of my computer and broke it, specifically the hard drive. I then spent roughly 350$ and quite a few man hours to recover the data off the hard drive. I'm in IT, and the man hours were my own. I was successful at it, but for a few days, without my laptop were killer. I didn't have a spare, and I had gotten that laptop because my previous two laptops had both broke within a week of each other. It was almost surreal, trying to go through the day and hitting a point, where I'd fire up my laptop and go, I'm... not going to play a game because my laptop is broke.

The worst thing about it though, was that I knew I would be bothered by what caused the panic attack and had mentioned to my few friends a week earlier that my laptop was trying to kill me. I had almost had panic attacks from it several times, but never went all the way to the point where I had to throw my laptop away from me.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

TheUnknownOne
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Oct 2013, 3:12 pm

I had a massive panic attack too a couple of years ago, since then i always kept a spare computer and my android phone at hand.
I opted to buy a new case and parts so my old computer could still function as a media center and backup computer. :)

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2013, 9:04 pm

Right now, I'm spending a weekend at a hospital in Amarillo. My oldest brother is here for West Nile Virus induced Encephalitis. He's barely aware of where he is. His wife has been here for nearly five straight weeks so I'm giving her the weekend off by staying here with him until she returns Sunday night.

Fortunately, they have public wifi available. I brought a laptop and have plenty of work to do that I really don't need to connect to the Internet at all. However, this allows me to connect to my office network and get more done than I could with just the laptop.

When I went to eat a fast supper while ago, I took the laptop with me and locked it in the trunk of my car. If I left it behind and it disappeared, I would be climbing the walls the rest of the weekend even though I also brought five books to read.

sonataform
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2013, 9:07 pm

eric76 wrote:
Right now, I'm spending a weekend at a hospital in Amarillo. My oldest brother is here for West Nile Virus induced Encephalitis. He's barely aware of where he is. His wife has been here for nearly five straight weeks so I'm giving her the weekend off by staying here with him until she returns Sunday night.

Fortunately, they have public wifi available. I brought a laptop and have plenty of work to do that I really don't need to connect to the Internet at all. However, this allows me to connect to my office network and get more done than I could with just the laptop.

When I went to eat a fast supper while ago, I took the laptop with me and locked it in the trunk of my car. If I left it behind and it disappeared, I would be climbing the walls the rest of the weekend even though I also brought five books to read.

I recommend audiobooks and podcasts

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2013, 9:19 pm

Oh heck too much yes... The best thing about it, I'm a computer professional and know how to deal with any malfunction.

I get extremely anxious when my laptop I'm reluctant to change, functions a wrong way. Like unexpected screens, programs failing to load, sudden shut downs, file corruption and being unable to connect to the Internet like DDOS Trojans.

I remember through Uni, when files couldn't open or when programs cease to work anymore, despite having a backup plan in place.

It's not just that, any electronic device like my games console can cause mild panic. I also find its anything like the misplacement of objects, becoming ill, withdrawing more money than routine dictates or any change of routine can cause any level of anxiety.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2013, 9:58 pm

Hurricane Sandy took out our power for weeks. Not having the computer and internet was MUCH worse than not having lights or heat.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 1:42 am

sonataform wrote:
eric76 wrote:

I recommend audiobooks and podcasts

That would not work for me. I'm spending my time working (writing code) rather than seeking entertainment.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 8:41 pm

I also feel dependent on computers and the internet. I have trouble finding reasons to be happy about my life; when something online really entertains me, I always want more, like a child wanting more candy.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 8:41 pm

I also feel dependent on computers and the internet. I have trouble finding reasons to be happy about my life; when something online really entertains me, I always want more, like a child wanting more candy.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 8:55 pm

The entire world has become, in a sense, dependent on computers. Without them, I can't do my job, I can't keep in contact with my friends across the country, I can't research my interests. In short, my life revolves significantly around this rather small piece of technology. It's actually a sad state of affairs when you think about it, for this one device to hold such power over us all.

That said, I don't become particularly irritable when I'm lacking a computer. But since the vast majority of my entertainment at my apartment is reliant on the computer (I use it for TV, books, audiobooks, music, research, news, weather, etc.), I become extremely bored without it. I would have to make a few new purchases and adjustments to remedy the situation if I didn't have a computer long-term.