Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

wittgenstein
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 1:02 pm

Tennyson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred,_Lord_Tennyson
Wrote,
“A kind of waking trance I have frequently had, quite up from boyhood, when I have been all alone. This has generally come upon me thro' repeating my own name two or three times to myself silently, till all at once, as it were out of the intensity of the consciousness of individuality, the individuality itself seemed to dissolve and fade away into boundless being, and this not a confused state, but the clearest of the clearest, the surest of the surest, the weirdest of the weirdest, utterly beyond words, where death was an almost laughable impossibility, the loss of personality (if so it were) seeming extinction but the only true life."

Repeat your own name and post your results here!

I love debate!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtckVng_1a0
My debate style is calm and deadly!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-230v_ecAcM

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 1:16 pm

ImageImageImage

... Nothing happened. :scratch:

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 1:25 pm

GGPViper wrote:
ImageImageImage

... Nothing happened. :scratch:

:lol:

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 1:38 pm

Someone I know tried it just now, and look at what happened...

[img][700:500]http://cdn.bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Beetlejuice-PromoArt.jpg[/img]

Last edited by octobertiger on 03 Oct 2013, 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 1:39 pm

wittgenstein wrote:
Tennyson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred,_Lord_Tennyson
Wrote,
“A kind of waking trance I have frequently had, quite up from boyhood, when I have been all alone. This has generally come upon me thro' repeating my own name two or three times to myself silently, till all at once, as it were out of the intensity of the consciousness of individuality, the individuality itself seemed to dissolve and fade away into boundless being, and this not a confused state, but the clearest of the clearest, the surest of the surest, the weirdest of the weirdest, utterly beyond words, where death was an almost laughable impossibility, the loss of personality (if so it were) seeming extinction but the only true life."

Repeat your own name and post your results here!

Why would I want to post results of a meditation session? Such things are generally a private matter unless you intend to teach meditation.

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 1:42 pm

Could be useful for some, using a mantra.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 1:45 pm

Of course. Mantras and which you choose to meditate to can be very helpful and there's nothing wrong with discussing techniques. I just don't understand posting the results of a trial, especially if it's someone's first time meditating. Chances are, they won't get very far on their first try... it can take years to learn to meditate properly.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 2:01 pm

Or go into the bathroom,turn out the lights and repeat "Bloody Mary" and see if she pops up in the mirror.
It is getting close to that special fun filled holiday :lol:

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 2:02 pm

Personally I don't see how useful a mantra could be when there are quicker ways that can get you far deeper - but I suppose not everybody's the same.

To be fair, I don't understand a lot of the posts I've read today, so you never know, it could help someone have a life-changing moment right here. At least it's trying to be positive.

I'm not entirely sure if Tennyson is the best role model. What next - Huxley and some mescalin?

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 2:31 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Or go into the bathroom,turn out the lights and repeat "Bloody Mary" and see if she pops up in the mirror.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 3:19 pm

octobertiger wrote:
Personally I don't see how useful a mantra could be when there are quicker ways that can get you far deeper - but I suppose not everybody's the same.

To be fair, I don't understand a lot of the posts I've read today, so you never know, it could help someone have a life-changing moment right here. At least it's trying to be positive.

I'm not entirely sure if Tennyson is the best role model. What next - Huxley and some mescalin?

Castaneda and mushrooms :flower:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 5:20 pm

Repeat ANY word enough times and it will suddenly become a meaningless syllable.

We all talked about that once in highschool. Some guy said "I was at a game with everyone saying 'figh! fight! fight! fight!..and then said...."fight?????? ....like what is that.'"

If the word is your own name I suppose the sudden decoupling of the symbol from the meaning would be even more jaring I suppose-maybe even trascendant.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 03 Oct 2013, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 5:44 pm

Misslizard wrote:

I repeated my name over and over, went to the bathroom, and sure, there I was in the mirror!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 5:52 pm

^^I just looked in mine,I see a dirty mirror that needs cleaning.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 6:01 pm

octobertiger wrote:
Huxley and some mescalin?

Nothing wrong with that and more likely to get quick results than repeating your own name as a mantra.

That said, it's dangerous if you're not prepared and a lot of people are better off just learning to meditate. I agree with TEGH that meditation takes years. Also, I think a very effective way to 'realise yourself' is by helping others, either through giving time or sharing something creative with them and that aids the benefits of meditation. Practising compassion is a great method.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 7:26 pm

octobertiger wrote:

The journey can be just as important as the destination. As for mantras themselves, I don't tend to use them. I much prefer silent meditation or meditating to music.