Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Raven
Raven

11 Oct 2013, 12:44 pm

I was in a birthday dinner for one of the few people I can call a distant friend last weekend. It was really nice, we went do a restaurant, ate good food and had some really good laughs. I talked to several people sitting around me, and they talked to me too. We had some really good conversations about everything.

Until the point I realised that I had only eaten half of my chips, and barely a quarter of my steak, while most people were finished or close to finished. I quickly ate up my remaining food almost without saying a word.

Anyone else who have trouble with talking too much in these situations?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2013, 1:01 pm

I usually withhold when I have no interest in the conversation or people. So when there is a conversation about something that does interest me it is like opening a lid on a high pressure valve I have trouble stopping even though I know I should. I am better now that I recognize the issue but it is still an issue.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2013, 3:08 pm

That's quite normal for Aspergians. Silent, remote and appearing somewhat aloof when the conversation doesn't engage us - then turning into a babbling fount of impassioned lecture when a subject comes up that piques our interest, or touches on a personal obsession.

Just try to keep checking out of the corner of your eye to see if the person(s) you're talking to are nodding off, if their eyes are rolling up in their head or if they're slowly backing out of the room. Often you'll find that by the time it occurs to you to look, they've already disappeared.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2013, 3:27 pm

Oh god, groan, I relate to this so badly. Even the element in which I'm the only one who hasn't finished my food or drink because I've my mouth has been busy motoring all over the conversation. And the worst thing is, during it I might even get an inkling that I need to stop -- I can actually read faces quite well and see something's changing in the general mood, like a cloud passing over people's expression -- but it still takes a while for that thought to reach my mouth and finally stop me talking. I still to this day wonder how other people manage to find a balance between normal replies in a conversation over a meal, and actually still managing to get a chance to eat. Of course the answer is, they don't talk and keep talking for the next 80 years like I do.... :oops:

IkkirBot
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Oct 2013, 10:41 pm

Oh heavens, CONSTANTLY. It's all I do. I relate to all of this, especially Bird In Flight. I will realize that I've been going on too long and I probably need to stop and nobody wants to hear this and yada yada, but it will take a week for that message to wind my mouth down. Unless I really like the person, in which case I will shut up instantly, blush, and apologize for ten minutes for talking so much. UGH. :oops:

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2013, 12:56 pm

I am usually quite silent around people, unless they're friends, people I know very well or closest family members. If am around those people, I usually talk a lot :lol:
My mother says I'm always the last one to finish my meal at lunch or dinner Both because I am slow at chewing and because I talk too much :lol:

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 11:53 am

IkkirBot wrote:
Oh heavens, CONSTANTLY. It's all I do. I relate to all of this, especially Bird In Flight. I will realize that I've been going on too long and I probably need to stop and nobody wants to hear this and yada yada, but it will take a week for that message to wind my mouth down. Unless I really like the person, in which case I will shut up instantly, blush, and apologize for ten minutes for talking so much. UGH. :oops:

I'm so relieved to find I'm not the only one! :D

To always be the one whose icecream has melted because the other person asked me one question and I was too busy talking instead of eating -- gahh!

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 1:24 pm

Yes.
I often try not to be guilty of this but then end up totally silent. Some people are mystified when we have conversations in one setting and I seem normal to them, but in other settings I am either too quiet, or talk too much about something I am interested in.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 1:28 pm

I either talk too much or not enough apparently.

Derpy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Oct 2013, 6:26 pm

My problem is I'm way too quiet.I cant hold conversation.Once I start a conversation I don't often know how to keep it going.Also in company I feel like my mind is blank and cant think of things to say...so I don't.

Codyrules37
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 6:49 pm

*An example of a really long post on Wrong Planet no one wants to read*

right now i am going to give a very long paragraph about talking too much one day there was kid i knew who used to talk a lot his name was billybob he must have had aspergers because he never knew that i wanted to kill myself everytime i talked to him because he talked too much he used to talk about trees, grass, and stuff dying and all that crazy stuff did you know the sky is blue? did you know the grass is green? did you know girls play runescape but dont admit it? did u kno that obama is black? i didnt i thought he was muslim i thought his name was Obama Bin Laden. Hey the first time i used a period something that most guys dont get because if they did i must be having a nightmare i need to go to the bathroom brb okay im back taking a dump with epic music on is awesome i like toast why dont girls like me? how come i cant get a gf maybe its bcuz i waist time sitting on my ass complaining and never talk to girls yes thats the reason anyways i hope the chiefs make it to the superbowl this year because if they do it will be the first time since 1973 and they better own them broncos. only the saints, broncos and chiefs are undefeated at 6 wins and 0 losses yes i think i look fat in this dress so yes this is what happens when you talk too much on wrong planet u get bored and in ur mind ur banging urself on the head waiting for someone to quit making such big posts. no one wants to read really long posts so if you have gotton this far pat urself on the back bcuz ur one hell of a person if you made it this far u obviously dont have a life if u have read this far i have a small stick and as in stick i mean drumstick because were eating drumsticks tonight for dinner hell ya btw a jewel on earth is a piece of poop in heaven and a piece of poop on earth is a jewel in heaven dont believe me just ask Jesus himself you can facebook message him like all the cool kids do these days i guess i aint hip alright bye now.

Last edited by Codyrules37 on 13 Oct 2013, 7:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 7:04 pm

Derpy wrote:
My problem is I'm way too quiet.I cant hold conversation.Once I start a conversation I don't often know how to keep it going.Also in company I feel like my mind is blank and cant think of things to say...so I don't.

This.

I envy you that problem, 1814. At least you have something to say.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 10:56 pm

I'm also usually the last person to finish off a meal because I'm too busy talking to everybody due to the fact that I always have something to say about anything.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 11:03 pm

Food is one of my special interests, so I don't really have this problem at dinner parties very often.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 11:15 pm

I'm the quiet one. I also scarf my food down so quickly, smoke flies out of my mouth. Typically, I try my best to get out of those kinds of situations anyway.

tonmeister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2013, 10:30 am

Yes, this is me to a T. I relate to a lot of what people on here are saying, especially the bit about the dinner party. That happens to me all the time. Of course, if the topic turns to something that doesn't interest me, or if it's just small talk, I sit there with a blank stare on my face and have nothing to add to the conversation.

I had this problem even as a very young child. I was linguistically precocious (full sentences at 19 months or so), and by the time I was six I would go up to complete strangers and tell them all about the Space Shuttle, in exasperating detail.