Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

dbzgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2007, 2:24 pm

Does anyone else think that there are more motor skill problems with aspie women than aspie men?

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2007, 3:20 pm

Doubtful. I think women naturally have better motor skills (most of the time). Just compare an average woman's handwriting to a man's.

dianacares
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Feb 2007, 4:06 pm

I am Autistic and have Partial Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and so do have motor difficulties.

If your mother drank when she was pregnant with you you could have Static Encephalopathy and Aspie.

I have always been clumsy with poor coordination for things such as skipping, playing hopscotch, twister as a child and cannot do any fancy footwork like dancing. If I am under stress or am tired I walk like I am intoxicated and my speech goes bad too. I do not have fear of things like heights but do not like to go fast in things I i cannot control like downhill sledding.

My vision is poor and I have problems with depth perception, not so bad that I can't drive but they are worse when I am stressed or sleepy and cannot drive in either situation.

8O

I was not diagnosed until age 35 and am now 38

Hope this helps

AspieGurl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2007, 4:06 pm

I stutter and stammer a lot when I talk so I don't know could be?

dianacares
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Feb 2007, 4:11 pm

Do you do so even by yourself with no one around? Do you have a pet that you talk to without stuttering and stammering?

I had a friend in High School who stuttered in any setting but especially when he was trying to tell you something important and with urgency he would stutter harder.

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2007, 4:12 pm

I think it depends on whether you mean fine motor or gross motor. I'm extremely clumsy and my gross motor skills are horrible. I trip up and down stairs, over my own feet, I'm terrible at sports, etc. But my fine motor skills are excellent. I'm very good at drawing and painting, my handwriting is fairly neat, I enjoy knitting, sewing, etc.

dianacares
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Feb 2007, 4:23 pm

I would agree. My gross are worse than my fine.

I can type(obviously), clean and dust shelves without breaking anything. But when I am fatigued my fine motor skills wane too.

Hi, I was diagnosed with Autism and Partial Fetal Alcohol Syndrome at age 34 and am now 38. I am married and have 3 cats and a housecleaning business. We drive a hybrid car and are very conscious about global warming

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2007, 6:22 pm

My dexterity working with crafts and small objects is great...I also have a pretty good re-action time.

DO NOT let me handle your fine china or valuable nick nacks...there is a reason I have nothing but corelle and melmac in my cupboard and I prefer my wine in a plastic cup. I tend to drop things, run into walls, and trip alot.

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2007, 1:14 pm

Beenthere wrote:
My dexterity working with crafts and small objects is great...I also have a pretty good re-action time.

DO NOT let me handle your fine china or valuable nick nacks...there is a reason I have nothing but corelle and melmac in my cupboard and I prefer my wine in a plastic cup. I tend to drop things, run into walls, and trip alot.

lol! me, too. I constantly bruise my shoulders from clipping corners and running into walls. Wgat's with that anyway?

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2007, 9:25 pm

I consider myself to have poor fine motor skills. They used to be worse though when I was a kid.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 11:59 pm

Cyanide wrote:
Doubtful. I think women naturally have better motor skills (most of the time). Just compare an average woman's handwriting to a man's.

I dunno. My handwriting is and always has been hideous. My daughter's handwriting is unintelligble a lot of the time - even to her.

On the other hand, I used to test calculators on an assembly line for a while when I was younger. Because I could work them faster than anyone in the plant. I also would ace all the fine-motor-skills assessment tests they have (the put the pegs in the slots, stack the stuff, etc., tests).

On the other hand, I have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time. And I was well into my 20s before I understood which was my left and which my right hand. Go figure.

kyethra
Raven
Raven

07 Mar 2007, 11:48 am

I have pretty poor fine and gross motor skills. You mean there are people out there who don't normally get covered in bruises from running into or tripping over things :) ? I could never do assembly line work. I can do some fine motor skill things-- I can crochet, but I can't knit. My handwriting is pretty bad and not at all nice. But I can type well. Still haven't managed to eat with chop sticks. I don't know my right from my left instictively and I suspect I never will, instead I have a good "cheat"-- I start to make the sign of the cross. The hand you use to make the sign of the cross is always the right hand so thats how I know which hand is my right. I also get lost everywhere. I have NLD too.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2007, 2:06 pm

kyethra wrote:
I have pretty poor fine and gross motor skills. You mean there are people out there who don't normally get covered in bruises from running into or tripping over things :) ? I could never do assembly line work. I can do some fine motor skill things-- I can crochet, but I can't knit. My handwriting is pretty bad and not at all nice. But I can type well. Still haven't managed to eat with chop sticks. I don't know my right from my left instictively and I suspect I never will, instead I have a good "cheat"-- I start to make the sign of the cross. The hand you use to make the sign of the cross is always the right hand so thats how I know which hand is my right. I also get lost everywhere. I have NLD too.

Another "cheat" is to hold both your hands out in front of you, palms away, with your thumbs at 90 degree angles from the rest of your hands. The one that makes a "L" shape is your left hand.

Cheerlessleader
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 5:40 am

My motor skills aren't exactly the best. I run into walls or knock things off shelves sometimes, I mix up left and right on a regular basis and I can't dance. I have tunnel vision and really poor depth perception. However I can catch a flying ball if I concentrate hard enough, My handwriting is pretty neat and I can eat with chopsticks.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 8:14 am

If I wore those shoes with the sticks in the bottom I'd be more clumsy too.

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2007, 4:44 pm

Nan wrote:

Another "cheat" is to hold both your hands out in front of you, palms away, with your thumbs at 90 degree angles from the rest of your hands. The one that makes a "L" shape is your left hand.

They BOTH look like L's to me. ;) I'm 30 and I STILL get my right and left mixed up.