Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2007, 4:44 pm

Nan wrote:

Another "cheat" is to hold both your hands out in front of you, palms away, with your thumbs at 90 degree angles from the rest of your hands. The one that makes a "L" shape is your left hand.

They BOTH look like L's to me. ;) I'm 30 and I STILL get my right and left mixed up.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 8:49 pm

wendytheweird wrote:
Nan wrote:

Another "cheat" is to hold both your hands out in front of you, palms away, with your thumbs at 90 degree angles from the rest of your hands. The one that makes a "L" shape is your left hand.

They BOTH look like L's to me. ;) I'm 30 and I STILL get my right and left mixed up.

30 is about the time I finally "got" left v right! :)

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 10:10 pm

It is either my gross motor or proprioreceptive system that can be out of whack at times. It occurred to me that I have always had difficulty maintaining balance on roller skates, no matter how much practice went into it.

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 4:00 am

ahayes wrote:
If I wore those shoes with the sticks in the bottom I'd be more clumsy too.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Most aspie women wouldn't wear those things. And yet--Even with a healthy pair of low-heeled shoes, I was able to break a bone in the top of my food a couple of weeks ago.

I am incredibly prone to walking into things, or knocking my arm into stuff. I have to be extra careful around my torch when I'm working with jewelry. I've gotten some nasty burns.

I currently have some lovely black bruises on my left leg and on my left arm that I have no idea how I got.

8)

Iruka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Mar 2007, 7:20 am

I know I'm a guy but I'd like to chime in real quick... To remember right to left I use what I call body geography, I have one freckle on my right pinky knuckle and no others on my hands... After a year of actually looking at my hand for the freckle every time someone said left or right I eventually began to instictively know...

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2007, 3:56 pm

Hmmmm... I have freckles everywhere BUT my hands...I do have a big old scar on my right knuckle. Maybe I can remember that's my right hand. :D

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 10:58 pm

Iruka wrote:
I know I'm a guy but I'd like to chime in real quick... To remember right to left I use what I call body geography, I have one freckle on my right pinky knuckle and no others on my hands... After a year of actually looking at my hand for the freckle every time someone said left or right I eventually began to instictively know...

I still have trouble telling my left from my right. This sounds like a good strategy.

Grimbling
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2007, 4:14 am

Both my fine and gross motor skills are somewhat below-average. I frequently become more intimate with doors and corridor walls than I mean to, and trip sometimes. When I was little I had quite a bizzare habit of, not just pacing, but running back and forth up the hall... except our hall included a set of steps. I had a few quite spectacular falls out of that. I never 'got' roller skates, either, and couldn't ride a bike til I was about eleven - and even then, I was never particularly good.

My handwriting's not the best, but legible if I try hard. I get very frustrated with painting/drawing and playing the guitar or harp, because I can imagine exactly what I want, and know in my head how I should be moving my hands, but what they actually DO is not right. It's like there's a bad phone exchange screwing up the signal - which I suppose there is, in a way. Strangely, I find the piano way easier. It's just things with strings that defeat me.

EDITED TO ADD: I forgot the most annoying motor skills issue I have. I spill things. I spill food or drink down my front ALL THE SODDING TIME!! ! I'm loathe to spend more than ten bucks on a shirt, coz I know I'll only get a few months at best out of it before I spill something and it gets stained and relegated to the 'wear to bed' pile.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 7:46 am

Rjaye wrote:
ahayes wrote:
If I wore those shoes with the sticks in the bottom I'd be more clumsy too.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Most aspie women wouldn't wear those things. And yet--Even with a healthy pair of low-heeled shoes, I was able to break a bone in the top of my food a couple of weeks ago.

I am incredibly prone to walking into things, or knocking my arm into stuff. I have to be extra careful around my torch when I'm working with jewelry. I've gotten some nasty burns.

I currently have some lovely black bruises on my left leg and on my left arm that I have no idea how I got.

8)

I've had hideous burns from clothes irons. I can't get anywhere near them. I consistently burn myself when I use one.

Grim
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Apr 2007, 4:00 am

my fine motor skills are rubbish. I also walk oddly, im not sure why. Some times i walk on toe but i cant do this for long as my balance is rubbish.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 4:04 am

I almost didn't get diagnosed because my motor skills are good.

Eclair
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 4:49 am

I would say my motor skills are above average, but if I think about it too much ie; how to throw a ball straight...THEN GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY!! !

8O

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 7:43 am

The only area that I seem to have a problem, is in the Trouser Department. Other than that, my motor skills are fine.

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2018, 10:02 pm

[deleted by moderator}

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

02 Feb 2018, 9:20 pm

I don’t know if I have it worse than men, but I certainly do have problems with my motor skills, both gross and fine. I was pretty terrible in P.E. since preschool (my report notebook says so) and I couldn’t ride a bike until a year after most of my classmates learned how to do it. Also, my handwriting is awful and I always seem to take ages to button up my clothes or take my money out from my wallet or back inside. I have always had an awkward posture and gait that, according to my mother, made me look like a hunchback, but I have improved it after many years of criticism and corrections from her. Doing makeup is also a struggle that I usually try to avoid. Walking with high heeled shoes is to me scarier than parachuting (and I have never tried either). I can’t play any sport (the only physical activity I do regularly is swimming, and I still consider myself to be below average at that). I often spill my drinks and bump into walls. I have no trouble telling right from left, though.

So I think I may have it worse than men, but not because my motor skills are worse than theirs. Rather, because as a woman I’m expected to do things men don’t need to do.

Autism Quotient: 30
Aspie quiz: 123/200 aspie; 75/200 NT
RAADS: 135

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Jun 2020, 8:27 am

I reread the 1st post & I think James actually is the one wanting a woman to use him for sex while he's drunk. To be brutally honest James, the problem your having is that your a guy instead of a woman. I always hear about guys getting women drunk so the guys can have sex with the women. I never hear about a woman getting a man drunk so the woman can have sex with him. It's the way things work for the sexes. Men tend to want sex a lot more than women do & as a result straight women tend to have an easy time finding one night stands. If you want someone to get you drunk so they take you home for sex, you either need to dress up as a hot woman or go to a gay bar.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition