Does anybody here get paranoid about...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Nov 2013, 7:20 pm

people thinking you're weird? When the first year of highschool/ secondary school started, everybody in my year instantly thought I was weird. I literally had two friends. People would avoid me because I was so socially awkward. For example, the first conversation I had with someone I said 'cheese' randomly. Nowdays, I'm still paranoid if people think I'm weird and it bothers me a lot. How do I avoid this troubling me and how did you deal with this experience?

I'm a girl ;-;""

Last edited by NateRiver on 01 Nov 2013, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pabalebo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Nov 2013, 7:35 pm

Own it dude. Find your niche as the funny eccentric guy and be completely unapologetic about it. At least, that's what I did in high school, and it worked moderately well.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 7:44 pm

Being weird is cool (as long as it's not gross weird). People will certainly remember you, because you're different than most other people they meet. That can actually be a good thing, so don't let it bother you. If your weirdness can be interesting or funny, that's even better. You just need to be comfortable with the fact that you aren't stamped out of the same mold of 'normalcy' as all those other clones. It's not just okay to be different, sometimes it's great.

Remember, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer was weird, too, until it turned out his weirdness was useful. Then he was a hero. :rendeer:

(okay, I know he's fictional, but how often do I have an excuse for using that emoticon?) :santa:

Albert Einstein was weird, just look at that hairdo - nobody's making fun of him now, eh? :geek: Well, maybe sometimes, but they still respect him.

Just don't pick your nose in public, or keep collections of boogies. That's gross weird and you don't want to be remembered for stuff like that. :eew:

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 8:48 am

Willard wrote:
Albert Einstein was weird, just look at that hairdo - nobody's making fun of him now, eh? :geek: Well, maybe sometimes, but they still respect him.

That's not guaranteed to work. Grigori Perelman is just as "weird" and ingenious, but he isn't likely to become that popular.

Besides, getting people to admire you isn't the same thing as getting people to like you.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 1:50 pm

I'm not paranoid... who said I was?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 2:39 pm

Vectorspace wrote:
Willard wrote:

That's not guaranteed to work. Grigori Perelman is just as "weird" and ingenious, but he isn't likely to become that popular.

Besides, getting people to admire you isn't the same thing as getting people to like you.

Negativity and pointless argument is neither supportive nor helpful. That's a quirkiness nobody likes.

IntellectualCat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Nov 2013, 3:07 pm

When I went to a public middle school, I was very, very paranoid about people thinking I'm weird. It got to the point that I was afraid that anything I said or did would reveal my strange thought processes, so I often stayed silent.

The thing is, public school caused me a lot of anxiety, so when I went to school for people on the autistic spectrum, I was no longer paranoid because the school wasn't as anxiety-inducing.