Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

WorldsEdge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Nov 2013, 7:20 am

Anyone else following this story? It is apparently still unfolding, but what has come out is ugly beyond belief.

Martin alleges player misconduct (link)

Quote:
"The Miami Dolphins have suspended Richie Incognito for conduct detrimental to the team," the Dolphins said in a statement. "We believe in maintaining a culture of respect for one another and as a result we believe this decision is in the best interest of the organization at this time. As we noted earlier, we reached out to the NFL to conduct an objective and thorough review. We will continue to work with the league on this matter."

Martin left the team last week following a lunchroom incident with teammates, and it is unknown when he will return to the Dolphins. Various reports indicate that Martin has been harassed in his two seasons in Miami.

Quote:
Sources told ESPN that one of the significant allegations being reviewed is that Incognito got Martin to contribute $15,000 to help finance a trip to Las Vegas by a group of Dolphins last summer, even though Martin preferred not to travel with the group.

Rather than go, Martin simply gave Incognito the $15,000, sources told ESPN, fearing the consequences if he did not hand over the money.

Slurs in Incognito's messages (link)

Quote:
Multiple sources confirmed to ESPN that the following is a transcript of a voice message Incognito left for Martin in April 2013, a year after Martin was drafted:

"Hey, wassup, you half n----- piece of s---. I saw you on Twitter, you been training 10 weeks. [I want to] s--- in your f---ing mouth. [I'm going to] slap your f---ing mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. F--- you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you."

Sources tell ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that officials from both the NFL and the Dolphins have heard the tape and have copies of the message.

WTF? 8O

I suppose the fact that at first I thought it was kind of weird that somebody 6' 6", 330 lbs. could be bullied says something about me that is not to my credit. :(

"The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken." ? Bertrand Russell

WorldsEdge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Nov 2013, 7:40 am

Is Richie Incognito's Dad Blasting Jonathan Martin On Message Boards? (link)

Quote:
Richie Incognito finds himself at the center of the Dolphins' and the NFL's investigation of the bullying complaints of Jonathan Martin, who left the team last week. Incognito has been suspended indefinitely, and the latest report is that Incognito left Martin texts and voicemails "that are both threatening and racially charged in nature."

Even Dolphins fans seem somewhat fed up with Incognito, who can't seem to avoid trouble off the field and is one of the league's dirtiest players on it. But on a popular Dolphins message board, Incognito has at least one strident defender—and it might be his dad.

Quote:
Early this morning, a poster with the username "idrd1994" left an impassioned defense of Incognito on the FinHeaven message board. In it, he attacked both Martin and Mike Pouncey as "black brothers that do drugs on a regular basis," and asked readers to "pray [GM Jeff] Ireland and [coach Joe] Philbin die of AIDS."

If so, I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree. :roll:

"The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken." ? Bertrand Russell

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2013, 12:29 pm

I think a lot of people's first thought might be, How can some guy who's a large offensive lineman be bullied?

But if he can be bullied, anyone can. I think it kind of brings it out of the shadows into the sunlight. That we don't need to blame the person being bullied for some perceived defect. And that's the silver lining we can take from this situation.

=================

That somehow, having rookies pay for a team dinner, something like that, got way, way out of hand.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2013, 12:33 pm

Quote:
Martin left the team last week following a lunchroom incident with teammates, and it is unknown when he will return to the Dolphins. Various reports indicate that Martin has been harassed in his two seasons in Miami.

So, it's not just this Incognito guy. Other people as well engaged in bullying. It became part of the "culture" of the team.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 2:07 am

I think Martin did not know how to deal with that culture. The players seem to only respect aggression and being able to hold your own when confronted.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 12:33 pm

The local news channel just showed footage of Incognito raging in a bar. He is like a monster.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 4:30 pm

I don't want the Miami Dolphins organization to only focus on Rich Incognito. He most likely is not the only person to engage in bullying behavior.

But . . . the Miami Dolphins cannot lose even five players during the midst of a football season in which they're 4-4 and potentially could make the playoffs. I mean, they could, but it's so outside their frame of reference, hardly any realistic chance of that happening. They don't even want to go there. It's so much easier to focus on the behavior of just one individual.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 4:33 pm

Quote:

http://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/sport ... 0f31a.html

' . . . Arizona linebacker Karlos Dansby, who played for the Dolphins from 2010-12.

'Dansby said he was puzzled that Martin’s teammates didn’t put a halt to any harassment.

'“We’re like family. So why would we do something to hurt our family? I don’t understand it. Definitely you have to step in and say something. Unfortunately the guys didn’t step in down there. You got to have leaders step and up and control that kind of situation.” . . . '

The bystander effect. That people don't know what to do, don't want to get involved, don't want to risk fallout themselves. And no where near have the skills to say, 'This is beginning to be a problem.' ' . . We don't want to hurt the season.'

Even when something has clearly been a problem for some time, I think saying 'This is beginning to be a problem' with understated confidence is a pretty good method. It is a quiet and matter-of-fact show of strength and calmness. Of course, it doesn't always work.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 11:17 am

Adding to a long list of recent things in the NFL. Spygate with the Pats, Bountygate with the Saints and now this.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 3:51 am

I watched a little about this on Dr. Drew's show.

I found the attitude of everyone with the exception of Shigun (spelling?) absolutely appalling. That guy spouts a lot of nonsense but he was on target this time. Being in the NFL isn't like being in war. It's just a sport. It doesn't give you the right to call people the n word and threaten their life. Much more imporantly, it doesn't give you the right to blame the victim. This is classic abuse, where the victim gets blamed, rather than the perpetrator. It is truly disgusting.

I'm fine with "acting tough" for show., but there is a line that this guy crossed (or perhaps the coaches crossed).

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 4:56 am

WorldsEdge wrote:
Anyone else following this story? It is apparently still unfolding, but what has come out is ugly beyond belief.

Quote:
"The Miami Dolphins have suspended Richie Incognito for conduct detrimental to the team," the Dolphins said in a statement. "We believe in maintaining a culture of respect for one another and as a result we believe this decision is in the best interest of the organization at this time. As we noted earlier, we reached out to the NFL to conduct an objective and thorough review. We will continue to work with the league on this matter."

Quote:
Sources told ESPN that one of the significant allegations being reviewed is that Incognito got Martin to contribute $15,000 to help finance a trip to Las Vegas by a group of Dolphins last summer, even though Martin preferred not to travel with the group.

Rather than go, Martin simply gave Incognito the $15,000, sources told ESPN, fearing the consequences if he did not hand over the money.

Quote:
Multiple sources confirmed to ESPN that the following is a transcript of a voice message Incognito left for Martin in April 2013, a year after Martin was drafted:

"Hey, wassup, you half n----- piece of s---. I saw you on Twitter, you been training 10 weeks. [I want to] s--- in your f---ing mouth. [I'm going to] slap your f---ing mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. F--- you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you."

Sources tell ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that officials from both the NFL and the Dolphins have heard the tape and have copies of the message.

WTF? 8O

I suppose the fact that at first I thought it was kind of weird that somebody 6' 6", 330 lbs. could be bullied says something about me that is not to my credit. :(
the answer is simple,the dolphins suck and the patriots rule

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 6:01 am

NEWS FLASH:
Professional sports star behaves like a narrow minded jock................

In other breaking news, a bear has pooped in the woods.

MelissaCho
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Nov 2013, 10:13 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
WorldsEdge wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

WTF? 8O

the answer is simple,the dolphins suck and the patriots rule

Dude, does it even matter if it was the Dolphins? Everybody has a right to safe and structured work environment. It don't matter if it's the Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints, New England Patriots, whoever it maybe. Even the Atlanta Falcons(who I personally can't stand) have that right. Let's not have this PUNK(Incognito) be the status quo.

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Feb 2018, 11:42 pm

And now we get to see this go to its logical conclusion.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/us/jonat ... index.html

Martin is probably autistic, and the way this whole thing was handled was disastrous. No wonder why he felt like he only had two options. And the way people are commenting on this makes me think we haven't seen our last mass shooting, because they are creating the environment for the next one.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 12:19 am

DevilInPgh wrote:

Martin is probably autistic, and the way this whole thing was handled was disastrous. No wonder why he felt like he only had two options. And the way people are commenting on this makes me think we haven't seen our last mass shooting, because they are creating the environment for the next one.

Where is the evidence that he’s autistic? That he got bullied? That’s hardly evidence.

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Feb 2018, 12:46 am

Grammar Geek wrote:
DevilInPgh wrote:

Where is the evidence that he’s autistic? That he got bullied? That’s hardly evidence.

It's a gut feeling. The notion of feeling different everywhere he went, being called the "Big Weirdo", taking threats from Richie Incognito literally. I can't think of any other reason.