Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Trebornos64
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Nov 2013, 9:48 pm

Xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Trebornos64 on 08 Nov 2013, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 10:45 pm

Trebornos64 wrote:
I at a loss right now. Anxiety, depression. 21 years at the same job and not one close connection. I eat lunch alone every day. Co-workers like me (except the ones that treat me like a punching bag) but I wouldn't call any of them friends.

Could I have been misdiagnosed by an expert?

So many people here dearly want an "expert" to tell them that they are an Aspie. But there's no cure or treatment for Apergerism... and especially for older folks. But the experts do have pills for anxiety and depression. And Ecstasy can really make you feel cozy and comfortable with other people. Why don't you just present a doctor with your feelings?

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 3:36 am

Assessment protocols aren't standardized, and there is a lot of subjectivity in the word "significant." And, I'd not be surprised if there was major "eyeballing" -- where someone uses feelings in their guts, like "you don't look ret*d," to override every other piece of information that they have. Lots of people on this board have reported that happening.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 5:58 am

Anybody can make a mistake expert or not. I did not take those tests or see you for two hours so I don't know exactly what she did not see. I can say to get a diagnoses you must have had those symptoms when you were very young. You did not provide that information. Also your functioning needs to be impaired. Holding the same job for 21 years and having co workers like you might have been factors in the decision not to diagnose.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 7:43 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Holding the same job for 21 years and having co workers like you might have been factors in the decision not to diagnose.

In my case, I might hold my job for 21 years (at 6 so far and no plans to ever leave) and I'm very well liked but that still doesn't mean I'm not significantly impaired. I have exactly 0 friends! I was told practically the same thing: that having steady work precludes an Asperger's diagnosis. Luckily I found another "expert" who said in her opinion, the answer was yes, although she fell short of giving me a formal diagnosis.

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Nov 2013, 7:52 am

After interacting with the people here I feel normal for the first time. Or rather my interests are similar to theirs. If you start interacting with the people here and it feels right then you probably are on the spectrum somewhere. There are more mature forums for older users if that helps.

What are your interests? What films do you like? Do you have any hobbies? These questions might help us to know if you seem Aspie.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 9:05 am

I found that I've made nearly every faux paux an Aspie can make by reading this forum!

This is great--now that I know they are faux paux I know it helps not to do them again! If possible, don't annoy the natives without good reason.

b_edward
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2013, 11:27 am

Quote:
Could I have been misdiagnosed by an expert?

I would think so.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 11:46 am

Entirely possible. Though, as others have said, take heart in the fact that there really is no help for adults with post-childhood diagnoses in the U.S. (unless you count voc. rehab.) Learn about your condition, modify your lifestyle, profit! :) well maybe not profit, i say that too much, it's a misused word lmao.

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 12:34 pm

Trebornos64 ... now that I know you had a chance to read my original post, I've removed it. Sadly, I'm not anonymous here anymore. In other words, there are people IRL who know both me and my WP identity. That's the reason I don't hang here much. But, hopefully you were able to see my point. And you're totally welcome to PM me for anything further. Be well, guys...

And it was all for the want of a nail.

Last edited by RainingRoses on 07 Nov 2013, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trebornos64
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Nov 2013, 1:11 pm

Xxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Trebornos64 on 08 Nov 2013, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 4:14 pm

Trebornos64 wrote:
Thank you all for your responses. Let me try to clarify some more details: I have been at the same job for 21 years but I've held two different positions in the same company. The first position which was for over 10 years, working a midnight to 8 am shift required very little interaction with people. I was basically a body with no responsibility. It afforded me the opportunity to persue other interests like culinary school. I have a BFA in Fine Art. In my newer position I have to work with many people (from intellectual types to union employees) and now my job is in jeopardy. While I said co-workers like me and I want to believe that, the reality is they would rather me leave. I've learned a lot about myself through them: definitely TMI about myself. It's a large organization and for some that don't know me, I have been targeted as weak and vulnerable. Truth is, at 6' 4" and 'easy on the eyes', I can be imposing.
Social skills were always a struggle....even as young boy. I always found interests in building and creating and those hobbies didn't require interacting with people. I was mostly on my own with no strong friendships. I acted out mostly as the class clown. It was a survival tactic and it worked while I was young but definitely not now.
I struggled academically in school. Definitely not a savant. I recall working with a speech therapist when I was 8 or 9. In the 1970's there wasn't a thing called Aspergers or ADHD. Teachers told my mother I was a 'late bloomer'.
It doesn't really matter one way or the other if I am or not. I just helps me understand why I am the way I am.

One or two non autistic traits does not disqualify you it is the whole picture which I can not know. The question is did the psych get all the information you just posted, how did you do on the tests etc. They still need to see that you had traits very early in childhood. You have written about social and eye contact difficulties while that is what most people even many aspies focus on there is a lot more to it such as sensory and executive function., obsessive special interests.

I am from the NY area and based on your description I think I know who saw you. I would think the next step if you have not done it yet. would be read not only this thread but a lot of threads here. There is a section called "In-Depth Adult Life Discussion" . Every thread will not seem relative to you but if you find a lot OMG that is me moments it is worth perusing a second opinion. Also besides her group there is GRASP. You have to become a member. They will ask you "If you do not have an "official" diagnosis, do you think you may be on the autism spectrum? ". Yes you do. They have support groups in Manhatten, Brooklyn, Jersey, LI etc. Attend a GRASP meeting or her Group meeting and see if she is right about feeling you do not belong.

If you can afford it scheduled another meeting and have her explain in detail what she saw and did not see. Instead of an hour try for a 1/2 meeting if that is possible.

After the process you will either become more convinced she was wrong or you will change your mind. Either way continue to pursue an answer.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Liblady
Raven
Raven

07 Nov 2013, 4:46 pm

While many Aspies on here have patchy work histories to put it mildly, some of us manage to muddle through for a considerable time in very public professions. With our intelligence we try to compensate for our lack of social skills. Until being canned recently, I headed the Reference Dept. of a major public library for 13 years. I still received my official diagnosis. It took four things to convince my psychiatrist of two years that I was Aspie despite my high-function: sharing childhood history; the strong opinion of a counselor who specialized in persons on the spectrum; showing him the research that a comorbid craniofacial condition (hemifacial microsomia or Goldenhars) was strongly linked to autistic traits; and his own feeling that their was just something a bit "off" about me that he had missed. It would be a crap shoot to get an offical diagnosis if you think you are on the verge of losing your job. In my case, the official diagnosis didn't save me from discharge -- it may even have tipped the balance against me. However, even if it doesn't save your job, it might open up options for a disability retirement, if your employer has one or for an EEOC suit as a last resort. My attorney and I are trying to negotiate a disability retirement with the City, but currently it's being denied. An EEOC suit would be my last resort. Be prepared for an uphill battle, which you may lose.