i'm less than the average nt at standing up for myself 29%  29%  [ 36 ]
i'm terrible at it, really 42%  42%  [ 53 ]
Total votes : 126

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Feb 2016, 1:37 am

I learned I had to be my own advocate instead of letting others push me in directions I don't want to go in cuz they're not rite for me. I s#ck at it sometimes thou & I sometimes don't feel like it's worth the fight but I'm good at speaking up for myself sometimes.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

magnum233
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Aug 2016, 7:17 am

lately ive been putting on the beef working out buffing up, i'd say yes i could stand up for myself quite easily if anyone actually wanted to try it on but generally i prefer not to be in those situations in the first place.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 8:07 am

I used to have trouble standing up for myself--but I've gotten better over the years.

Perhaps, I'm still a little below average in this regard, though.

catunderfoot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2016, 8:14 am

I can do it when people are obviously being rude or mean to me, but people rarely seem to do that. I can never tell if people are insulting me until it's too late and I go over the conversation in my head. And even then, it's often so subtle that I can't tell if I'd be overreacting or if they didn't even mean it that way... it's just easier to avoid confrontation in those situations.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 10:04 am

On the whole I think I do pretty well in defending myself, though it's a flaky skill, sometimes I'm magnificent, other times I let people get away with too much. I didn't vote because I don't know how to objectively compare myself to neurotypicals. Certainly I see myself as having problems with assertiveness, though I might just be being too perfectionist about it. I tend to feel I've wimpishly allowed myself to be walked over if I haven't shown an aggressor who is boss in no uncertain terms. Then later I realise that I probably struck a wise balance. But there are many times when people have done things I didn't like, and I haven't said. I guess that's normal social discretion.

The hardest challenges are when I'm trying to support my partner while she tries to tackle unhelpful service providers. She would likely get more help if she were more assertive herself, but she's much better at fathoming the complicated ramifications of some of these situations than I am, so I often don't fully appreciate what's going on at the time, and although I'm itching to wade in and punch some of these intransigent bastards on her behalf, I don't want to hit out at the wrong issue and risk a damaging counter-attack, and I don't want to end up playing the sexist white knight either. She can get frighteningly stressed out when these interviews with officialdom aren't working out, so it's really frustrating when I can't do more than put my hand on her shoulder and glare at the bureaucrats, and I feel like a broken record saying "keep calm, you're doing well." But in spite of all that, she does pretty well, and she insists that I'm very helpful, so maybe I'm just too hard on myself. Just once, though, I'd love to personally catch them pulling a fast one and successfully call them out for it on her behalf. It's all benefit / service related matters, and they've often treated her like dirt, like they do with most people, and often there's not a lot we can immediately do to fix them. We discuss battle tactics a lot, and I feel more helpful there, I point out things she hasn't seen.

magnum233
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Aug 2016, 11:24 am

I'd like to encourage all of you to be leaders. Most of us enjoy gaming, one thing you can do is with multiplayer and in particular team based online games is take a leading role. If people are unorganised bring order. Do it in chat. Many people are wimps I've found today not even able to speak their minds. Just be smart and wise. Not only will this boost your confidence through teamwork improved gameplay will result actually allowing more wins and fun. Its one reason why I colead my clan in starcitizen I like the challenge and responsibility.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 11:46 am

Classic examples of self defense feature objective morality, emotional restraint, mental inertia, and a tolerance for punishment.

I would like to think of these as autistic mannerisms.

They have gotten me in to and out of trouble.

But, I would say that I am better than average at standing up for myself, in the same respect that I am better than average at remembering numbers and rules.

Brandon30
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2016, 12:05 pm

I feel like there should be a better then average option also

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 12:48 pm

I really can't stand up for myself. If someone says something to me (which happens a lot, sadly), I usually will burst into tears. I need to get better at it.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 1:08 pm

I usually do ok when I have time to rehearse what I'm going to say. If it's right in the moment I have trouble though because I'm not always sure of what other people's intentions are and I don't always know what to say. If I do know what to say then I don't always know what the consequences would be or how to respond to them. It also depends on how bad the situation is and if it's worth the energy.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 1:15 pm

Usually I can if it is obvious that I need to, sometimes though I dont realise that someone is picking on me until after the fact.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 1:05 am

I'm pretty damn bad at it, and usually need to be pushed into it. I think fear gets in the way.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 2:20 am

It's frustrating when people say that you need to stand up for yourself, but then don't explain how.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 2:30 am

If I am forced to or am cornered, then in a crude manner I can stand up for myself. but i'd really rather sidestep those situations.

magnum233
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Aug 2016, 6:31 pm

Confidence is a big part of it. You can gain confidence from playing games ive learnt, its quite easy. Most 'noobs' are quite disorganized :P

Generally we are superior players 'not counting asian's who have machine brains'

Once you've started to gain enough confidence translate this into real life, what would you do how would you best handle a situation given a short amount of time. That's atleast some of the things ive been thinking about lately. Maybe its my age and reaching a maturity point 'men mature slower'

Dont forget, whilst we have socializing difficulty's 'atleast most aspies do inc me' we can reason our ways around problems in ways Neurotypicals cant even fathom.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2016, 12:56 pm

Yep.

Road raging homophobe made his rude comments.

Me: Touch me and I'm going to tear you apart. (He was an overweight redneck, I've done more than 40,000 pushups in the last year)

Him: You think so?

Me: I KNOW so.

Him: Walks back to his truck and leaves.

F that guy.

Coworker who recently got fired for not being a team player.. AT ALL. Anyways, I was helping him carry a heavy door and he made a really rude comment about me "trying to think," and that I shouldn't try to think etc so I asked him if he was serious, he said yes, so I told him he was being an Ahole and I wasn't going to help him if he thinks he can talk down to me like that and I left him there holding the door waiting for someone else to give him a hand.

I'm not a jerk, but I won't let anyone walk all over me.