Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Kalinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Nov 2013, 9:48 am

I'm pretty sure Abilify has rewired the chemistry and made me dependent on it for life. I have a therapist who thinks I was misdiagnosed and a psychiatrist who wants to keep me on it for life. I don't know how to describe all my problems, I've had different expereinces all through life. I struggled with a few manic episodes when i was a teen. I remember going to a wedding and being spaced out and crying in the bathroom. I remember I had a depressive episode when my body shut down due to stress at boardings school. But I don't think Abilify is helping me emotionally on its own. I take 30 mgs and I think it's worsening the symptoms. But I'm scared to try something else and I dont know what would be better than it. I'm just tired of it all.

I met someone who said he treated his bipolar with stimulant/add medication and it worked better. I've noticed the same thing. I can focus better, am more motivated, etc.

"Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 12:02 pm

Kalinda wrote:
I'm pretty sure Abilify has rewired the chemistry and made me dependent on it for life. I have a therapist who thinks I was misdiagnosed and a psychiatrist who wants to keep me on it for life. I don't know how to describe all my problems, I've had different expereinces all through life. I struggled with a few manic episodes when i was a teen. I remember going to a wedding and being spaced out and crying in the bathroom. I remember I had a depressive episode when my body shut down due to stress at boardings school. But I don't think Abilify is helping me emotionally on its own. I take 30 mgs and I think it's worsening the symptoms. But I'm scared to try something else and I dont know what would be better than it. I'm just tired of it all.

I met someone who said he treated his bipolar with stimulant/add medication and it worked better. I've noticed the same thing. I can focus better, am more motivated, etc.

Tell the psychiatrist all the side effects you have been having. If the psychiatrist refuses to listen, find a different psychiatrist that will listen and help you titrate off this drug slowly, to prevent further harm. Download the Icarus Project's Harm Reduction Guide and show it to both your Therapist and psychiatrist and see if they think this is a reasonable method of getting off any psychoactive drugs.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 12:42 pm

I took it as a young child, and it made my ADHD counter go overload, so I went off it. And I'm fine (well... compared to how I was before I took it :lol: )

But everyone is different, if you are concerened tell you're doctor ASAP (I've been taking clonidine for years and am going to ask my doc next week to take me off of it)

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 1:10 pm

First piece of advice: GET OUT OF WEST VIRGINIA!! !!

Invest the time, the money, the trouble, and whatever else you need to to go to Pittsburgh, or Baltimore/DC, or Columbus, or Cleveland, or where-ever you have to go to find someone who UNDERSTANDS your condition.

You will be DAMN lucky to find anyone in West Virginia who will not merely increase the dose until you can no longer complain.

I'm not some high-tit city chick biased against "ignorant hillbillies." I was born and raised in West Virginia-- way out in the boonies, about an hour west of Morgantown. I love that place and those people.

But therapists in Morgantown gave me bad advice. Therapists and psychiatrists in Clarksburg, all well-meaning, almost killed me with Celexa and Risperdal. "This is how we treat autism spectrum disorders," they said. I tried to explain that it didn't have to be that way. "You're noncompliant and argumentative," they said. "This is why you need more risperidone."

If I had not washed up in Pittsburgh, I would not be alive.

SEEK TREATMENT OUTSIDE OF WEST VIRGINIA. It's a wonderful place, but from a mental healthcare standpoint, it's stuck in the 1950's.

doofy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 1:29 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
"You're noncompliant and argumentative," they said. "This is why you need more risperidone."

LOL

Increase the meds to treat "noncompliance".

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 2:16 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
First piece of advice: GET OUT OF WEST VIRGINIA!! !!

Invest the time, the money, the trouble, and whatever else you need to to go to Pittsburgh, or Baltimore/DC, or Columbus, or Cleveland, or where-ever you have to go to find someone who UNDERSTANDS your condition.

You will be DAMN lucky to find anyone in West Virginia who will not merely increase the dose until you can no longer complain.

I'm not some high-tit city chick biased against "ignorant hillbillies." I was born and raised in West Virginia-- way out in the boonies, about an hour west of Morgantown. I love that place and those people.

But therapists in Morgantown gave me bad advice. Therapists and psychiatrists in Clarksburg, all well-meaning, almost killed me with Celexa and Risperdal. "This is how we treat autism spectrum disorders," they said. I tried to explain that it didn't have to be that way. "You're noncompliant and argumentative," they said. "This is why you need more risperidone."

If I had not washed up in Pittsburgh, I would not be alive.

SEEK TREATMENT OUTSIDE OF WEST VIRGINIA. It's a wonderful place, but from a mental healthcare standpoint, it's stuck in the 1950's.

I would definitely be finding a new therapist and psychiatrist if they're that WILL work with you. I'd also file a complaint with the state's medical board claiming malpractice.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 4:59 pm

I was put on Abilify back in June and it gave me akathisia, so I was taken off of it. I don't remember any withdrawal symptoms, just an improvement in the akathisia Then I had my second opinion on Halloween where the doctor said I don't have bipolar disorder and don't need any antipsychotics or mood stabilizers, so I went off of them. Other than the usual gender dysphoria and autism issues, I seem to be OK.

You might wanna take up BuyerBeware's advice and try for a second opinion at one of the metros she listed.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 7:47 pm

I take Abilify along with Seroquel and Effexor. And I smoke marijuana. My Mom says I'm like a zombie, but I don't feel that way. I feel tired, but my mind functions a lot better.
It's a compromise I guess, and for me I like the clarity of thought, even though it hurts my physically.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 4:32 pm

Hi Kalinda, it sounds like your therapist might be okay, but your psychiatrist sounds like a crummy listener to say the least.