Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 11:01 pm

More often than I'd like to admit I've done this. As I got older, I at least try to make sure I'm "zoning out" where's there few people around so I don't look like a serial killer.

antoniotinkerland
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Nov 2013, 12:15 am

There are two related behaviors that I have noticed myself doing. One is when I go the same route by myself repeatedly, I tend look at the same things in the same order. The second is that when I enter a restaurant (with a party) and get seated, the first thing on my agenda is to search for a place to stare in case I fall into the aforementioned zen state.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 7:07 am

because i am generally interested in nothing, i often stare at nothing.

i once developed an extreme interest in nothing, and so i bought a high powered microscope to inspect slides that had nothing on them.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 7:10 am

mostly when I have to listen to people.

SG78
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Nov 2013, 7:10 am

Halfmadgenius wrote:
I have noticed this mostly walking around town but some times I will randomly stop and stare at nothing special. It is not something I do on purpose but some times I will just suddenly stop in my tracks and stare. Sometimes I am not aware right away, I'll just suddenly realize I am standing dead still in the middle of the sidewalk gazing at a feather or a sparkle of sunlight on the concrete. Its never happened anywhere dangerous like the middle of the road or any thing.

Anyone else do this?

Yes. I do this at times and have been asked "what are you looking at?" "Nothing." "Nothing? What do you mean nothing? You had to have been looking at something. Nobody just looks at nothing."

ExceladonCity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 9:08 am

Pretty much every time I ride the bus.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 9:10 am

SG78 wrote:
Halfmadgenius wrote:
I have noticed this mostly walking around town but some times I will randomly stop and stare at nothing special. It is not something I do on purpose but some times I will just suddenly stop in my tracks and stare. Sometimes I am not aware right away, I'll just suddenly realize I am standing dead still in the middle of the sidewalk gazing at a feather or a sparkle of sunlight on the concrete. Its never happened anywhere dangerous like the middle of the road or any thing.

Anyone else do this?

Yes. I do this at times and have been asked "what are you looking at?" "Nothing." "Nothing? What do you mean nothing? You had to have been looking at something. Nobody just looks at nothing."

No, I am not staring intently at the grains of salt on a cheese cracker. My visual apparatus has temporarily gone offline.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 10:17 am

It's pretty funny when everything else is so uninterested and boring that staring at a computer screen at work to the point where you've memorized the exact locations of the icons is more entertaining.

Jerkamie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Nov 2013, 2:04 pm

Yeah I do this all the time. A lot of people actually think I'm stoned when I zone out.. its very annoying because someone will ask me if I'm stoned at like 730am at work.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 3:07 pm

Early in the morning and late in the day are optimal times for me, considering I'm still on the verge of falling asleep at those points.