Any annoying misunderstandings that you have to deal with?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

StuckWithin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Nov 2013, 11:42 am

For me, it's when I am deep into my work or a project, totally hyperfocused and my working memory happily maxed out, and an ignorant person walks by, nagging and judging me, and tries to "snap me out of it".

I could literally hurl a volley of expletives at that moment.

They just don't get it. They would think I am frozen in a daydream - when in fact I am working on something, my mind being in the middle of a delicate and complex cognitive exercise.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 11:59 am

I am constantly misunderstood.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 12:04 pm

Isn't being misunderstood a problem everyone goes through?

Anyway, I find the misunderstanding issue happens way more for me in the dating and courting aspect of my life. It does happen to a degree at work. It also happens to a degree in social settings as well. I guess that is life.

b_edward
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Nov 2013, 12:47 pm

aspiemike wrote:
Isn't being misunderstood a problem everyone goes through?

Perhaps, but "normal" people are not singled out in the way that Aspies are.

I remember my son and I took a hunters' safety course. I saw many kids acting like boys; many being rowdy, many others seemed to have zoned out, not looking like they were paying attention. My son was arguably paying better attention than anybody else in that room, but the instructor kept singling him out and telling him that if he didn't start paying attention he would be kicked out of this class. (it was a little bit like the scene where Harry Potter first encounters Snape in the classroom) And the snideness of his comments really made me mad.

If I could go back in time I'd stand up and tell my boy we were leaving and tell the guy he was being a total jerk instead of just sitting there taking it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 1:03 pm

When I'm enclosed in a room with a dog with a loud bark, I get very jumpy at every little move the dog does, and people think I'm daft and get annoyed with me. I'm OK when the dog lies down, but when his ears suddenly go alert or he starts pacing about, I always irrationally start thinking that he's going to bark at something, like at noises what we can't hear. Last time there was some fireworks outside, and the dog looked a bit disturbed by them. They said he has been known to bark at fireworks, so I was so jumpy and couldn't relax, but I felt rude asking them to put the dog in another room when it wasn't my house. Nobody understood me, they were just like ''God, you're so nervy!'' and then when I said, ''I can't help it, I do suffer with my nerves'', they rubbed it in by saying, ''suffer with your nerves? You're off your bloody rocker!'' That just made me feel worse, because it felt like it was an exaggerated implement that people who ''suffer with their nerves'' aren't half as mad as me, and that I really take the biscuit.

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 3:57 pm

I wish that people would ask me why I did or said something rather than jumping to their own conclusion. My motives have often been mis-interpretted, BUT IF I WAS ASKED as to WHY it would be clear.

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.