Autistic Stereotypes You're Sick Of Hearing?

Page 1 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 1:40 am

I might as well start with mine: personally, I find it annoying whenever an NT just assumes that all of us are geniuses whenever it comes to Math and computers. :P

But what about you guys? Do you have any annoying ones you'd like to share?

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 1:51 am

All of them.

Stereotypes should be limited to audio equipment, imho. :wink: :P

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 1:55 am

that we are all devoid of empathy.

Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2013, 1:59 am

I hate the Autistic = Rainman stereotype.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 2:00 am

My own family members don't believe I'm on the spectrum because I don't look or act like Rain Man. Also, they're not willing to take the time to understand the subtleties of this condition. I just ignore them.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 2:03 am

That mistreating us and verbally abusing us is the only way to get through to us. My mum has tried that trick on me so many times, that I don't really talk to her about my accomplishments or problems anymore and I'm not going to phone her when Mick Avory passes away, because I know exactly what she would say to me. "Rainman, they're old! People don't last forever!" Okay....she wouldn't call me Rainman, but she might as well the way she treated me like an idiot when Pete Quaife passed away. I only do small talk with her. I don't talk to her about my problems, accomplishments or my special interests. I haven't done so since March. I haven't talked to her about my special interests since I was 10. If I feel even a slight urge to talk to her on the phone about London or The Kinks, I just say goodbye and hang up.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 2:11 am

loser

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 3:32 am

That "she's very smart...her diagnosis should be changed to Asperger's." I only heard this once actually. My first thought being: it was updated to autism spectrum...autistics are smart too...not just AS!

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 3:47 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
That mistreating us and verbally abusing us is the only way to get through to us.

This, about a thousand times over. I hate the stereotype that we are lazy and are making up or using our AS as an excuse to get out of things.

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 4:44 am

metaldanielle wrote:
I hate the stereotype that we are lazy and are making up or using our AS as an excuse to get out of things.

I'd have to agree that that one is very annoying.
I've been accused of being lazy by many people, even after I've told them that if they would like me to do something for them all they have to do is ask nicely and I'd be happy to most of the time.
For some reason they never ask and then accuse me of being lazy because I didn't just do things they expected I would but didn't ask me to. *sigh*

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 7:33 am

Most people I know don't know anything about autism to come up with any stereotypes. :) I'm not sure if that's better or worse. Not being understood vs. being misunderstood. They've never heard of Rain Man either. :D

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 7:34 am

I hate the stereotypes that we are:
Lacking in emotions and empathy
Prone to violence. (I have only hit one person since I turned 18, and any nt woman with self respect would have slapped him to)
Good at math. (I suck at long division.)
That we can't lead full, productive lives.
I am sure I am forgetting a few.

CharityFunDay
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 8:23 am

"Autistic people lack the power of imagination necessary to create anything other than the most basic levels of art"

-- come to that:

"Autistic people lack imagination, period."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 8:52 am

ANY stereotype, especially ones that equate us with sociopathic behavior or the image of a "bed-wetting, fire-starting, sh_t-eating, animal-torturing r_t_rd".

Yes, I've heard autistics described that way.

:( :evil:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 9:17 am

Bodyles wrote:
metaldanielle wrote:
I hate the stereotype that we are lazy and are making up or using our AS as an excuse to get out of things.

I'd have to agree that that one is very annoying.
I've been accused of being lazy by many people, even after I've told them that if they would like me to do something for them all they have to do is ask nicely and I'd be happy to most of the time.
For some reason they never ask and then accuse me of being lazy because I didn't just do things they expected I would but didn't ask me to. *sigh*

My dad before my IQ evaluation: "She is too stupid for everything. Stop pretending you are that stupid! Noone is that stupid."

My dad after my IQ evaluation: "She isnt stupid, but she is awful lazy on purpose and not willing to do anything!"

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 9:52 am

The only stereotypes about autism in my town is due to ignorance: the only autism that exist is the classic autism (low functioning), and they can't speak.