Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

kx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Nov 2013, 11:25 am

> I would be seriously angry if people thought that of me.

I used to find it really frustrating, but then I decided to just focus on writing more code, and in particular contributing to Open Source. As I started feeling like I had a sneaky plan to combat it, it didn't really feel like as much of an insult.

> Wow... Was he trying to get your number or something? How did you respond to it?

I have no idea what he was trying to achieve. I basically said "thank you for your kind words about the talk" and ignored the creeper part.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 12:38 pm

kx wrote:
> I would be seriously angry if people thought that of me.

I used to find it really frustrating, but then I decided to just focus on writing more code, and in particular contributing to Open Source. As I started feeling like I had a sneaky plan to combat it, it didn't really feel like as much of an insult.

> Wow... Was he trying to get your number or something? How did you respond to it?

I have no idea what he was trying to achieve. I basically said "thank you for your kind words about the talk" and ignored the creeper part.

I can see why. It will take me awhile to get used to that without exploding...

Hahaha. I guess it's better to do that than look into it further... unless he took it as you were interested in getting to know him. O.o...

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

30 Nov 2013, 12:40 am

My experience has been that I get a fair amount of attention in my CS classes but "flirting" wouldn't be the word I'd use to describe it. That would imply some kind of skill or intentional behavior.
I usually just get harmless nerds following me to and from class chatting incessantly about Star Trek or something else I'm not really interested in. I keep them all at arm's length so nobody gets disappointed.

As far as discrimination, if anything, I think I've experienced the opposite so far. I think a factor in being hired at my current job is because I'm somewhat of a novelty being a female programmer. Regardless, I hit the ground running so they found out fast I was the real deal.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 6:49 am

Why haven't you told them that you aren't interested in Star Trek? I'd change the subject.

Novelty... That makes it sound like you're one of those ridiculous toys or trinkets that people use for gag gifts. :/ I guess I'd rather have your experience than be harassed. I can't say for sure what will happen.

There are some interesting perspectives in this thread... Not really what I expected.