Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 4:07 pm

superluminary wrote:
Geeks and nerds tend to be quite respectful as they know what it is like to be bullied. Asperger's is a definite asset when it comes to programming, I think most great programmers I have met appear to have it to some degree. I suspect this may be why there are more male coders, as AS disorders are more common amongst men.

Computer science is an extremely deep topic, and you can easily spend a lifetime becoming the best in your in any one particular area. Unlike most special interests, an interest in coding can make you fairly rich as well.

Alternative modes of thought are useful, particularly the ability to think in patterns. One of my female students does take a little flak on the internet for describing herself as a developer and a gamer. She's a pretty big blogger though, so I think that's just trolls. I think if you do take heat it'll be from older and/or less able developers who may see you as a threat.

One thing I would advise is that you try to learn a little coding first to see if it suits you. Many programmers already know they're programmers before they start a CS course. A good proportion of those who come with no prior experience seem to find they have no interest in it, so do have a go before you commit to a whole course.

Best of luck with it!

Already have been teaching myself C++. I'm enjoying it. I've also been messing with androids since 2009, and have become completely obsessed. I've recently transitioned myself to Linux and won't be coming back to Windows unless for gaming purposes. Knowing that I like it isn't the issue. I'm not sure why people keep bringing that up with me, lol. Thanks for the advice.

I think I'm worried about things that won't matter. I was already treated poorly by women when I was in a different field; I get along better with people who play video games and have interests in technology. I know for a fact none of those women in social work were interested in what I was. Hard making friends when you're in that kind of position. I'm glad I decided to go with programming, because I feel way more excited than I have with anything else I have tried pursuing. Japanese was my first excitement, but that doesn't compare to this.

Spudz76
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Nov 2013, 5:35 pm

Also there is a fair amount of inherent trolling and ribbing in the field anyway, as with so many facets and solutions to choose from many will choose early and evangelize their opinion as the "right" one. This applies regardless of gender. The best way to start a programmer fight is to walk in to a room and proclaim that "VIM IS THE BEST EDITOR, NANO IS FOR CHUMPS" and watch the fireworks. But that just comes with the territory, and as a programmer it helps to stay optimistic and that is tough unless you fully near religiously believe that your way is the best way. Really it just comes down to what works best for you, and I think all programmers understand that at some level, but the main issue is they all tend to state their opinions as fact. Be sure not to fall into any of your own "ruts" and keep an open mind about other languages, other database servers, other everything. Stick to terms like "best practice" and not "the only way to do it".

superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

20 Nov 2013, 4:53 am

Kinme wrote:
Already have been teaching myself C++. I'm enjoying it. I've also been messing with androids since 2009, and have become completely obsessed. I've recently transitioned myself to Linux and won't be coming back to Windows unless for gaming purposes. Knowing that I like it isn't the issue. I'm not sure why people keep bringing that up with me, lol. Thanks for the advice.

It sounds like you'll be awesome! I did actually think right after I posted that I was making an assumption there about your experience level. Isn't that interesting. I'm very sorry.

I think I'm quite used to seeing young people wanting to learn to code because it sounds cool without actually having that deep obsession that keeps you up at night and makes you go "aha" in the shower. Those are my favourite times. It sounds like you have that capacity.

Good luck with it all!

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 6:55 am

Spudz76 wrote:
Also there is a fair amount of inherent trolling and ribbing in the field anyway, as with so many facets and solutions to choose from many will choose early and evangelize their opinion as the "right" one. This applies regardless of gender. The best way to start a programmer fight is to walk in to a room and proclaim that "VIM IS THE BEST EDITOR, NANO IS FOR CHUMPS" and watch the fireworks. But that just comes with the territory, and as a programmer it helps to stay optimistic and that is tough unless you fully near religiously believe that your way is the best way. Really it just comes down to what works best for you, and I think all programmers understand that at some level, but the main issue is they all tend to state their opinions as fact. Be sure not to fall into any of your own "ruts" and keep an open mind about other languages, other database servers, other everything. Stick to terms like "best practice" and not "the only way to do it".

I will definitely keep what you said in mind once I'm in the program. >.<

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 7:06 am

superluminary wrote:
Kinme wrote:

It sounds like you'll be awesome! I did actually think right after I posted that I was making an assumption there about your experience level. Isn't that interesting. I'm very sorry.

I think I'm quite used to seeing young people wanting to learn to code because it sounds cool without actually having that deep obsession that keeps you up at night and makes you go "aha" in the shower. Those are my favourite times. It sounds like you have that capacity.

Good luck with it all!

Thank you for that huge amount of confidence; it really helps, lol. I'm serious. I keep being told/reading negative crap and it's worrying the hell out of me. It's understandable, but it's kind of annoying at the same time. That's okay. All is forgiven. :p I'm glad at least someone explained why people are thinking this.

Anyway, I know how that goes. I never thought I'd have the ability to do it, which is what has been stopping me from pursuing it in the first place. I thought I was an idiot, so I chose something I'm fairly good at first (Human Services/Psychology), but ended up dreading every single moment of when in classes. The classes were practically no challenge to me, and I also felt as though it were so redundant that I wanted to leave during the middle of the lecture. I realized after we'd started our last few semesters, that I was getting into something that required a lot of empathizing that was difficult for me to pick up on. The only clues I'd get from people is body movements, extreme facial expressions, and tone of voice. Not exactly the easiest thing for someone with Asperger's. (Sorry for the random rant). A student I was doing a project (major project where I'd do an interview with her as the "client") with thought I was scowling at her the entire time. That was so embarrassing...

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 4:29 pm

When I was in college getting my CS degree, we only had a few women but they were respected - not bullied, teased, or hit on really. There wasn't a lot of flirting going on. Yeah, you may think gee, tons of guys, most of them lonely, and few girls, the girls will get hit on etc. But remember, a) the guys are lonely because they're shy / socially adept to begin with - they aren't really going to do any better with the CS girls and b) to be honest, there were few girls as I mentioned, but in terms of their attractiveness, most were average at best.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 8:35 pm

I have no interest in being with anyone, so flirting wouldn't matter one way or another. I probably couldn't tell if they were. It was mainly discrimination. I've witnessed men being called names in my classes, so it wasn't pleasant for me when they were being so sexist. Not to mention I had a male friend in most of the classes who'd I'd see become upset when men were being talked down about. I don't like hearing women/men talking down about each other; it bothers me.

schnozzles
Raven
Raven

22 Nov 2013, 7:30 am

I'm a woman and I'm a senior software engineer... I have been subject to discrimination in the workplace but generally most nerdy types are OK, there's just the odd one that is basically scared by women. I've not had that much flirting, although to be honest I wouldn't necessarily spot it anyway!

I've had the occasional comment about being a good programmer for a woman, but if I politely point out how sexist that is they usually realise what a stupid thing it is to say.

To be honest you shouldn't have much of a problem, I wouldn't think. Most programmers I know are so into programming that they're just happy to talk about it with other programmers, regardless of gender.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 9:19 am

Thanks for the info. How long ago, or has it been ongoing discrimination at work? Not so much in college?

schnozzles
Raven
Raven

22 Nov 2013, 10:20 am

Never had discrimination in college - but then I studied languages not computers :) I've had it a bit in the workplace, and fairly recently at that. If I'm honest some of the stuff that was blamed on me being a woman was more about a) me being aspie (which I didn't know at the time) and b) my boss or colleague being a d**k!

I don't think the sexist men I've worked with were sexist because they were programmers - I think they were sexist because they're male chavinist pigs, or brow-beaten, hen pecked and weak willed idiots. The two options for me were walk away, or just get my head down and get the job done. Usually the latter followed by the former. At college you should mostly find guys that have grown up with the concept of women that do techie stuff. I certainly find it's less of a problem with younger people than with my contemporaries!

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 3:31 am

Sheesh. That sounds very annoying. If it were me, I'd leave, so mad props to you. Just because they've been socialized to be that way--it makes sense. I think with the area I live in, it won't be an issue. Very liberal and a lot of feminists around here. I think if something like that happened it would be a huge deal. I was thinking in regard to it being more of a "man" kind of area, certain guys would be unhappy with it. Seems like you're saying it's mainly those who are older. I don't think there will be as much of that; more younger men in my classes, probably the same with the workplace. Guess I won't find out until I actually start classes.

spergl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Nov 2013, 10:47 pm

There's only a few women in the computer programmer course I'm taking. I often feel for them, everyone else in the program is a gamer/brogrammer type. I've overheard some things that make me cringe, but than I laugh a little on the inside... The teachers at my school treat women well, and will often remind us that it's a "rare pleasure to have ladies in the classroom" It's nice to hear, but that attitude probably isn't universal.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 5:19 am

I'm going to assume that I will also be one of few women in these courses for this up-coming semester. Are those women not interested in video games? Do they not share interests with the men in the classrooms? I loooove video games. I have an array of games that I like; I don't really have a preference in terms of console or PC. What kind of things have you heard? I doubt it's universal as well. I know in certain jobs, especially welding, any kind of woodworking, construction, and the like, women tend to be discriminated against often. It's been getting better, but it's still there. Same goes for men within women-dominated fields.

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 6:59 am

Kinme wrote:
I am anxious to be starting classes for CS in January. I was wondering if any women, or men, have seen women teased/bothered in these classes. I've heard about discrimination (because of it being a male-dominated field), and witnessed men often discriminated against when I was in Human Services (since it's mostly women). I just hope it isn't the same experience. I'm trying to keep positive and will make the effort to go in without negativity.

Also, what do you guys think about women being in this field? Does it bother you? Do you like seeing more women joining this field?

Quoting the big bang theory, "They're more afraid of you than you are of them." :P

Seriously, though. You'll probably hear, one or two extra, misogynist things (extra in relation with a random sample). But appart from that, I wouldn't be worried.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 7:08 am

ModusPonens wrote:
Kinme wrote:
I am anxious to be starting classes for CS in January. I was wondering if any women, or men, have seen women teased/bothered in these classes. I've heard about discrimination (because of it being a male-dominated field), and witnessed men often discriminated against when I was in Human Services (since it's mostly women). I just hope it isn't the same experience. I'm trying to keep positive and will make the effort to go in without negativity.

Also, what do you guys think about women being in this field? Does it bother you? Do you like seeing more women joining this field?

Quoting the big bang theory, "They're more afraid of you than you are of them." :P

Seriously, though. You'll probably hear, one or two extra, misogynist things (extra in relation with a random sample). But appart from that, I wouldn't be worried.

Yeah, you're probably right. I tend to overthink everything, lol.

kx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Nov 2013, 12:24 am

I am a woman, and I work as a programmer. I don't have a CS degree, though, so I can't say anything about sexism/discrimination in the CS courses.

Don't let the talk about sexism scare you away. If you get a reputation for caring about code and code-related subjects (which you will, because you do), then I can't imagine that you'd have any trouble.

I've always been the only women an the team at all my jobs, but it's never been a big deal (that I've noticed, anyway). I don't feel like they treated me differently. They never did any of that "there's a lady present" nonsense. Certainly there's been no blatant/overt sexism.

I would recommend staying away from the news-y/discussion places for programmers like reddit and hacker news because the comments sections are egregious whenever anything about women comes up.

Occasionally at meetups/conferences people assume that I'm somebody's girlfriend or spouse, but as soon as we're talking about code, they quickly accept that I'm there for my own reasons. A few weeks ago I gave a talk and got an email from someone saying 'I dug your talk and it doesn't hurt that you were the best looking speaker', which is creepy, but not discrimination.

I love programming more than anything else, and I wish that a lot more women realised how awesome a profession it is.