Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 11:07 am

Colorado has had its' share of fires and floods lately. It has definitely affected the wildlife. Though where we live we constantly see deer, wild turkeys,bears, a very occasional mountain lions, and several foxes, we have never seem bob cats around lately. The first time we saw the bobcat for the first time from the window of our travel trailer. He was sniffing the area where my yorkie-poo had urinated a few moments earlier.

For 2 out of the last 3 days when my husband has woken early in the morning ,the bobcat has been sitting on our deck. When Bobby came out, he ran away. We are not concerned because Kismet never goes out without us, and is always leashed.

Well, I received a phone call from a friend who lives nearby. She told me that yesterday she opened her door and a fox ran in, ate a few pieces of dog food from the dogs bowl and then ran out of the house again.

This has nothing to do with autism. I just find it interesting.

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 12:39 pm

My Mother got bit by a fox a few months ago. It was her own fault as stupidly she grabbed it by the tail as it was going down the hole where it lived in her garden.
She said that the reason she did it was that since it had dug a hole to live in in her garden that her cat had been terrified to go outside. When she saw the fox she ran up her garden, and as it "dived" down the hole she grabbed its tail. Naturally the fox turned around and bit her arm.

She went to hospital for an anti-rabies injection, but the wound got infected. It swelled up, and went black. She had to have lots of puss & fluid drained out of it and be put on strong anti-biotics.

She is now OK as far as the effects of the fox bite are concerned.

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 2:44 pm

StarCity wrote:
My Mother got bit by a fox a few months ago. It was her own fault as stupidly she grabbed it by the tail as it was going down the hole where it lived in her garden.
She said that the reason she did it was that since it had dug a hole to live in in her garden that her cat had been terrified to go outside. When she saw the fox she ran up her garden, and as it "dived" down the hole she grabbed its tail. Naturally the fox turned around and bit her arm.

She went to hospital for an anti-rabies injection, but the wound got infected. It swelled up, and went black. She had to have lots of puss & fluid drained out of it and be put on strong anti-biotics.

She is now OK as far as the effects of the fox bite are concerned.

Cool stories. All I can add to that is that we have really BIG RATS! Not as interesting. Glad your mom is ok - it may sound dumb, but she probably just wanted to get rid of the fox and when she saw it the adrenaline made her react. (I've never done anything dumb like that though, I could never relate. :lol: )

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 4:10 pm

When we had a super bad drought I had a grey fox that came every day to drink out of my garden pool.We could even be on the porch,he just ignored us.One day I saw him jump on a low tree limb and climb.Amazing.
I've seen all sort of animals here,bobcats,coyote,black bear,wild hogs,deer,mink.etc...We even have mountain lions but I don't want to see one of them.

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2013, 6:08 pm

We have... squirrels... and rabbits...

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2013, 12:56 am

I used to be homeless in Nashville. I slept in my car in the Walmart parking lot. One day I had the windows cranked down a little because it was getting too steamy in my little Nissan Sentra. As I was sleeping in the back seat, I suddenly heard a bee's buzzing sound. I moved my leg around to try to get rid of it. That's when - BANG! - it stung my leg so hard I leaped up. I threw one of the rear doors open and it flew out. It's a good think I'm not allergic to bee stings otherwise that would've been a calamitous mess.