Page 1 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 10:00 am

Pope F on zealots and fundies:

Quote:
The faith passes, so to speak, through a distiller and becomes ideology. And ideology does not beckon [people]. In ideologies there is not Jesus: in his tenderness, his love, his meekness. And ideologies are rigid, always. Of every sign: rigid. And when a Christian becomes a disciple of the ideology, he has lost the faith: he is no longer a disciple of Jesus; he is a disciple of this attitude of thought… For this reason Jesus said to them: ‘You have taken away the key of knowledge.’ The knowledge of Jesus is transformed into an ideological and also moralistic knowledge, because these close the door with many requirements.

www.liberalamerica.org/2013/10/25/pope- ... kicks-ass/

On social justice:
Quote:
“God’s heart has a special place for the poor,” the Pope says. But it is not enough simply to say that God loves the poor in a special way and leave it at that. We must be also vigilant in our care and advocacy for them. Everyone must do this, says the Pope.

“None of us can think we are exempt from concern for the poor and for social justice.” And in case anyone misses the point, after a critique of the “idolatry of money” and an “economy of exclusion,” the Pope says: “The Pope loves everyone, rich and poor alike, but he is obliged in the name of Christ to remind all that the rich must help, respect and promote the poor. I exhort you to generous solidarity and a return of economics and finance to an ethical approach which favors human beings.”

What’s more, this does not mean simply caring for the poor, it means addressing the structures that keep them poor: “The need to resolve the structural causes of poverty cannot be delayed.”

http://www.religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/ ... ew-vision/

I would imagine this perplexes and pisses off extremists on the right and left... As far as I'm concerned, that's good.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 10:23 am

The best Pope ever.He's the only one you could tell a dirty joke to,and he'd laugh.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 10:25 am

He sure seems like a decent guy.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 10:42 am

Until the Catholic Church reverses its genocidal stance on condoms and HIV, I see no reason why I should have even a molecule of respect for any Pope.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 11:11 am

This current Pope is a joke. Worse than the previous ones. If he wants my respect, he should declare a papal shutdown for good. That would be great.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 11:20 am

link

Quote:
"How can it be that it is not a news item when an elderly homeless person dies of exposure, but it is news when the stock market loses two points?" writes Francis, who recently called for unused monasteries in Italy to be turned over to homeless African migrants.

"Today everything comes under the laws of competition and the survival of the fittest, where the powerful feed upon the powerless. As a consequence, masses of people find themselves excluded and marginalized: without work, without possibilities, without any means of escape."

Trickle-down theories of economics were not proved, involved a "crude and naive trust in the goodness of those wielding economic power" and were likely to lead to violence rather than wealth, he argues, urging politicians to carry out ethics-based financial reform. "Money must serve, not rule!"

Quote:
In one passage that could have implications for clerics who refuse to offer Communion to divorced people or to politicians who support abortion rights, he writes that the Eucharist, the central rite of Catholicism, "is not a prize for the perfect but a powerful medicine and nourishment for the weak."

"Frequently, we act as arbiters of grace rather than its facilitators. But the church is not a tollhouse; it is the house of the Father, where there is a place for everyone, with all their problems."

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 11:38 am

He speaks like your typical politician. Not sure why there still needs to be a Pope. And not sure why he is trying to gain approval from people who don't follow Popes. What is he trying to achieve exactly?

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 11:45 am

Misslizard wrote:
The best Pope ever.He's the only one you could tell a dirty joke to,and he'd laugh.

John XXIII was cool in setting up Vatican 2 which reformed how the church was ran prior to that.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 11:59 am

MCalavera wrote:
This current Pope is a joke. Worse than the previous ones. If he wants my respect, he should declare a papal shutdown for good. That would be great.

Worse than the previous one? Care to explain how?

I think he seems like a pretty good man. It seems like you're letting your hatred of the Catholic church distort your view. I'm not religious, and I don't like the church, but I think there are still some good people in it.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 12:10 pm

Worse in terms of being a joker.

This is the same Pope who said earlier that atheists can still go to heaven as atheists. This is way absurd even for Catholicism. Comes off as very insincere.

I hate the Catholic church, but I also hate people like him even more.

Azereiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2013, 12:19 pm

The man is refusing all extra benefits that being the Pope carries, except for the power.

I approve of what he's saying publicly - though there are some doctrines that he can't turn around at all without being thrown out of office, including the stances on birth control and abortion. He's been firing people left and right for being stupid or immoral.

I'd like to see if he puts his words into action over the next several years, though...

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 12:22 pm

MCalavera wrote:

This is the same Pope who said earlier that atheists can still go to heaven as atheists. This is way absurd even for Catholicism. Comes off as very insincere.

You remind me of the Life cereal kid Mikey,you hate everything. :)

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 12:35 pm

Not according to this video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYEXzx-TINc[/youtube]

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 12:35 pm

MCalavera wrote:

That is actually a serious and protracted theological dispute within Catholicism, that of the old doctrine of "no salvation outside the church", or Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 12:38 pm

MCalavera wrote:

What he actually said was that it was not his place to judge atheists, not that they are getting some sort of free pass into heaven. Most of what he is about is putting a focus on helping the poor and unfortunate (as Christ taught) rather than squabble about things he considers much less important (which the Catholic church has historically done). I dislike the Catholic church (and most organized religion in general), but I think this guy is the bee's knees.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 12:46 pm

sonofghandi wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

What he actually said was that it was not his place to judge atheists, not that they are getting some sort of free pass into heaven.

Paraphrasing what he said, he said that if atheists follow their conscience, then they are doing good in God's eyes. This is an implication that they can be saved as well.

Quote:
Most of what he is about is putting a focus on helping the poor and unfortunate (as Christ taught) rather than squabble about things he considers much less important (which the Catholic church has historically done). I dislike the Catholic church (and most organized religion in general), but I think this guy is the bee's knees.

Wait for his actions first, and then admire him. He is still a politician at the end of the day, and a very sneaky one at that.