Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 5:27 pm

SherlockTheUnicorn wrote:
By that I don't mean that the thing you memorized was pointless, I mean the act of memorizing it was pointless, not needed for a job, studying etc. (but maybe still has its uses in recalling the memorized info in difficult situations.)
The most recent one for me, the elements of the periodic table in order of atomic mass. I'm sure lots of people have done that one. :) Anyone have any others? Pi to a large number of d.p? A chapter from a book?

Interesting question. I am not sure. I memorize book lines of dialog or movie dialog or sequential scenes by level of importance to the plot when it is something I really enjoyed for no practical purpose than the analytical sequential knowledge of the subject?

MathematicalOwl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2013, 1:45 pm

The prime numbers up to 1997
Pi to 729 d.p. and e to 243 d.p.
The elements in order of atomic mass
The wingspans, lengths and other facts about various aeroplanes
Several poems
Some scenes from Macbeth (which turned out to be useful)

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 2:20 pm

well, the way my dad explains it, is that i have memorized Sonics entire back story and mobious back story and to him thats pretty pointless

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Bluth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2013, 2:26 pm

Too much Simpsons, South Park, Arrested Development and Friends quotes.

Salkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Dec 2013, 3:06 pm

Memorising makes it sound like a conscious effort, which it usually isn't for me. Things just tend to stick, if they hold some sort of appeal to me. I still know a certain palindrome I found amusing by heart, for example.

Other things seem not to stick even if I put lots of effort into remembering them. :(

Notorious
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Dec 2013, 3:19 pm

Too many movie scenes/quotes and every Kentucky Derby/Preakness/Belmont Stakes winner since the races were first inaugurated. Those are just the first two subjects that come to mind, that is. I like memorizing things nobody else around me knows for some reason. :)

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 9:19 pm

I memorised all the monster stats in MM1, MM2 and Fiend Folio.

ProbablyNotNormal
Raven
Raven

04 Dec 2013, 9:44 pm

Plenty of movie/TV quotes and sports statistics. I also memorized a certain way to solve the Rubik's Cube back in HS (forgot it, though).