Saddest Deaths in Animated Cartoon Shows

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 6:19 pm

I was just watching a list of the Top 10 Saddest TV Deaths on WatchMojo.Com and at number one was the death of Fry's Dog from Futurama and in the honourable mentions list was the death of Brian on Family Guy (an episode I haven't seen yet because I live in the UK) and I was thinking that maybe they could do a list of sad cartoon deaths from cartoon shows. The thing is I'm not sure if there are many. I'm probably wrong because I have few in my head right now and will list them though I won't be doing anime because I don't really watch anime and also not feature length movies. If there are some well known ones I miss out because I either haven't seen the episode or series then please let me know. FYI I haven't seen the end of Transformers Prime yet and I here someone dies so please don't list that. Anyway here are the ones I know in no particular order:

Dinobot - Beast Wars: Transformers
Aya - Green Lantern the Animated Series
Kenny - South Park
Terra - Teen Titans
The Doom Patrol - Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 6:26 pm

The tortoises in "Animals United"

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 6:40 pm

THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE CARTOONS 'TRANSFORMERS' (1984-1987), 'ANIMALS OF FARTHING WOOD' (1992-1995), AND 'SUPERMAN' (1996-2000). CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

-
-
-
-

Of the ones you mentioned, I've seen Dinobot and Kenny. The first one really moved me, to the point where I was using a Dinobot quote from that episode ('Code Of Hero') as my signature on another forum for years.
Kenny in 'Kenny Dies' on South Park, however, didn't do all that much for me. At the time, I really didn't appreciate that episode, but I've since seen it a couple more times, and I now think it's okay. Still not a favourite, though.

Cartoon deaths that left an impact on me include:

-the (2nd) death of Optimus Prime in the Transformers episode 'Dark Awakening'. I had not seen Transformers The Movie as a child, so this was actually the first time I saw Optimus die, and it caused me to cry. I was 7-ish, and Optimus was my hero, so that's what's going to happen.

-Bold in The Animals Of Farthing Wood. Especially because it happens after he's had a series of misfortunes, including some very grave injuries, he finally does make it back to his birth ground and his family, but he's exhausted from the wounds inflicted on him, and succumbs to them.

-Dan Turpin on Superman. I was not the most avid 90s Superman TAS fan, but I thought it was a neat enough little cartoon. I thought it was really ballsy of the producers to kill off Turpin by vaping him so suddenly, and the funeral he gets afterwards is one of the most moving moments in cartoon history.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 7:28 pm

Simba's father in the lion king.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 8:04 pm

?: School Days (anime)
John Marston: Red Dead Redemption (video game)
Don: Gears Of War 3 (video game)
Asha: Evangelion - You Shall Not Advance (anime)
Go-Koga: Bleach (anime)
Wonderweiss: Bleach (anime)

krazykat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2013, 11:25 pm

Littlefoot's mother in The Land Before Time.

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2013, 12:00 am

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the ultimate tear-jerker yet -- Bambi's mother, all the more poignant because you don't see her demise, just poor little Bambi fruitlessly looking for her.

Aside from that, the numerous deaths on Watership Down got to me as a child, as was the same case with Plague Dogs (same author and animation team, but sadly not as well known), The Rats of NIMH (that air ventilator scene, brrr!) and of course, the Animals of Farthing Wood.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 12:06 am

krazykat wrote:
Littlefoot's mother in The Land Before Time.

That one too. The first Land Before Time was great!

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 12:55 am

The number one for me has to be from Clannad After Story, I won't reveal who it is, but it probably the single saddest thing I have ever seen. Made me feel incredibly depressed.

Although I just remembered Grave of The Fireflies, it is an animated movie and also one of the saddest things I have seen, the death near the end, is just as heartbreaking.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 5:35 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Although I just remembered Grave of The Fireflies, it is an animated movie and also one of the saddest things I have seen, the death near the end, is just as heartbreaking.

^ This. I've never actually cried at a movie before, but I almost came close with a lump in my throat at the ending to this film. Beautiful but tragic.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 5:51 am

Charlie, all dogs go to heaven.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 8:27 am

The old couple in When the wind blows

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 11:45 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:

-Dan Turpin on Superman. I was not the most avid 90s Superman TAS fan, but I thought it was a neat enough little cartoon. I thought it was really ballsy of the producers to kill off Turpin by vaping him so suddenly, and the funeral he gets afterwards is one of the most moving moments in cartoon history.

That show was actually pretty dark. In the last episodes they had Superman leading the armies of Apokolips in an invasion of Earth. Lots of people died there (by implication and on screen) an Superman wasn't very popular at the end...

I loved Darkseid's warning to Superman: "If you won't be my knight, you will be my pawn."

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 4:04 pm

BlankCanvas wrote:
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the ultimate tear-jerker yet -- Bambi's mother, all the more poignant because you don't see her demise, just poor little Bambi fruitlessly looking for her.

I like the 2006 Bambi 2 "midquel" that takes place during the chronology-gap while Bambi was growing-up in the first movie without his mother.

In one scene another young deer asks Bambi why he has a girl's name. :lmao:

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 6:26 am

Jiraiya, from Naruto _ obviously.

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 12:48 pm

Dinobot's death in Beast Wars definitely ranks as the saddest. He single-handedly saved the course of history, decimated the Predacons and ruined Megatron's plans.

In short, he's an ultimate bad-ass.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty