Thinking with images. How do you do it.

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 12:21 pm

screen_name wrote:
Pete, I often think in 4D (and often find life very frustrating because of this, as if I suddenly get smacked into a cross-section and expected to react appropriately), but I cannot begin to fathom what 5D thinking is like. Can you explain it?

4D being a visualization of how one aspect of an object changes over time.
5D (or more) would be how multiple aspects of an object change in relation to each other.
For example, a video game designer would be visualizing objects in the game like this.

Diagnosed in 2005

dreamingofhome
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Dec 2013, 4:59 pm

lamontge wrote:
I am a very visual thinker also, I don't do well calling people on the phone. It is fine if they call me but I guess generally I have no clue on how to approach people. Guess the best way to explain my thinking would be to describe the way my mind works in general visual/analytical, social, out of the box, and the void/back burner.

1) the visual/analytical thinking part. Everything is a 3D schematic I can just look at things and when I want to I can expand it into its parts and see it like a schematic. It is like that is for everything I see, even people's body's. Granted the schematics are not always complete but it is very easy to do. It is like a foundation.

2) the social, phew this one is like a tornado, I don't understand it. I catch glimpses and parts of it and yes there are some parts I understand but for me it is the same concept as money(money is debt, that loses value, wtf). I know we need it, I understand the visual and analytical parts of it but when I try and understand the why or why what I just said was not appropriate or why laughing right now is not a good thing, or what I am supposed to say and do I am at a loss. Its just a tornado whirling around the foundation.

4) the void/back burner, skipped 3 ill get to it ;) I call it the void because I don't know where in my mind it is or where things i put into it go. Thoughts just appear fully formed out of it, I can take things I have been thinking about and stick them in and they will eventually cook and come back complete with the problems worked out, some would say its my subconscious but I am not so sure that is the right term its a part of my mind that is constantly working on problems I put in and those thoughts that were not my own they just come to be. its like having someone in a backroom that really dose not exist handing me answers to a surprise test I have not studied for.

3) I skipped this one because this is where people get lost, it is a result of the void. "out of the box" I am not sure it should be called that, the farther out of the box you get the more you realize that its just another box. I would say it is farther IN the box than other dare to go, the largest things we can see look more and more like the smallest things we can see, the only difference is scope, scale, and where you the observer is in relation to it. Its all frequency, harmonics at varying energy levels. I march to the beat of my own drum, its music handed to me from that void, that someone in the backroom. the frequency which my brain operates at. It is the part of my thinking that sees the big picture, the part of my brain that tells me that our galaxy is the same as one atom, that our math is flawed as .5+.5=1 is the same as 1+1=2 or that 1 = 0.99999999999...... (no such thing as whole numbers) . Confused why we have moved away from analog and gone to digital, why we have not farther developed trinary computing and stuck with binary.

So there the essence of me stands on this foundation watching that tornado in a void somewhere in some box seeing such large and small things, watching that tornado go, sometimes in the distance sometimes tearing the blocks off the foundation that I am trying to put together.
4D would be a good way to explain it, there are no accidents and coincidence is just connecting the dots. I cant help it most are lost in the tornado looking at some of the most pointless things.

Okay this is the coolest thing I've read all day. Wish I thought that way. But I'm fascinated by this "void". I've read that our brains are always processing information long after we are aware of it. I think everyone has some moments where answers just magically "pop" into their heads. However I have never heard of anyone consciously storing something away like that.

And that tornado... also very interesting. My thoughts sometimes get like that right before I go to sleep if I've had a real mentally taxing day. For me it's just total chaos though. Words and pictures and sounds and thoughts racing around fast enough that I can't pay attention to any one at a time. Not quite as 3D as yours, but often I will still wake with new ideas and solutions to things I didn't even know were problems.

schizoid26
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Dec 2013, 9:42 pm

pete1061 wrote:
Words, they are jumbles of 2D symbols that can lead to a confusing landscape of associations. Words are kinda tough for me.

Why not just think of the objects that the words represent? Then you can visualize them.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 11:20 pm

schizoid26 wrote:
pete1061 wrote:
Words, they are jumbles of 2D symbols that can lead to a confusing landscape of associations. Words are kinda tough for me.

Why not just think of the objects that the words represent? Then you can visualize them.

I do, but I also tend to be distracted by the characters and words themselves. And all kinds of environmental stimuli.
It's tough to put my finger on what exactly is going on. It my be something related to dyslexia.
I have a rough time keeping the left-to right scanning and seeing text as a linear stream. I jump around all over the place.
The bigger the block of text the harder it is to read. Formatted text, like in a magazine or web page is easier. But I regular printed book with nothing but black & white text, I don't even bother with most of the time. I have read maybe 10 regular books for my own personal enjoyment in my lifetime. I read the Hitchhiker's guide series, Dune, Children of Dune, Dune Messiah, & The lord of the rings trilogy. And I had to sequester myself to very controlled places with a minimum of distractions to get those read.
Reading just takes a LOT of extra work for me, I don't like reading very much.
I'm definitely not hyperlexic like some of the other folks around here. I'm kinda jealous, I know I'm missing out on a whole universe of interesting information, but it's too much work.

Diagnosed in 2005