What is it that makes Autism and Animals go hand in hand

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 8:58 pm

personally, i love animals so much! i love all my pets and animals in general. there has been multiple reports of Animal therapy for autism and just autistic people in general seem to gravitate towards animals and symptoms reduce in the presents of an animal. how do you feel towards animals and why do you think autistic people like animals so much. personally, i just love them, they feel like friends, no matter what.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 9:03 pm

While still potentially being social creatures (cats, dogs, weasels, mice etc) they still aren't as socially complex as humans. Maybe it's the feeling of having companions that require less social exertion. I feel bad sometimes about liking my cat more than most humans but then my cat will never blame poor people for their own poverty, start a war, take part in road rage or just be a general d**k. Maybe animals are calming because they're less threatening and complicated.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 10:46 pm

Me too. I love animals so much. They are so loveable. When I was little my parents called me the animal lady. It is easy to relate to animals. Communication with them is direct, pure, and simple. With humans there is a barrier.
My first friends were animals.

ExoticCritter
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Dec 2013, 11:28 pm

Dan_Undiagnosed wrote:
While still potentially being social creatures (cats, dogs, weasels, mice etc) they still aren't as socially complex as humans. Maybe it's the feeling of having companions that require less social exertion. I feel bad sometimes about liking my cat more than most humans but then my cat will never blame poor people for their own poverty, start a war, take part in road rage or just be a general d**k. Maybe animals are calming because they're less threatening and complicated.
I agree. I think most people (autistic, "normal people," people with other issues, etc.) all seem to gravitate towards animals. It's human nature. I just think autistic people tend to gravitate toward them even more than normal. Animals, especially pets, have always been my main "special interest." I can name off more random animal trivia, breeds, and species then just about anyone. Also, I think autistic people sometimes feel as different from "normal" people as their pets. Even though I'm just as smart (often smarter) then neurotypicals I often would feel "inhuman" growing up because I knew I was different. Animals are simpler, cuter, more interesting, and have unconditional love.

Last edited by ExoticCritter on 10 Dec 2013, 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 11:39 pm

I love animals! I've always had pets, including dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hedgehogs, rabbits, and reptiles. I just think being around pets is relaxing because they are less demanding than people (for the most part). I've also been told that animals are drawn to me and have noticed this as well. I am my cat's favorite person in the family and some of my friends' cats and dogs act a lot more friendly around me than with other people. Multiple friends of mine have commented about this. It's weird and I don;t understand why animals love me.

ExoticCritter
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Dec 2013, 11:54 pm

Einfari wrote:
I love animals! I've always had pets, including dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hedgehogs, rabbits, and reptiles. I just think being around pets is relaxing because they are less demanding than people (for the most part). I've also been told that animals are drawn to me and have noticed this as well. I am my cat's favorite person in the family and some of my friends' cats and dogs act a lot more friendly around me than with other people. Multiple friends of mine have commented about this. It's weird and I don;t understand why animals love me.
Animals have always seemed to love me too. It's also nice to see another small exotic pet fan. I keep fish (saltwater and freshwater), invertebrates (tarantulas and aquarium invertebrates), sugar gliders, and reptiles (turtles now and lizards in the past). I own one "normal pet" (a dog). In the past I've kept rabbits, a cat, and a few other things.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 12:19 am

Um, that's a stereotype. Autism and animals certainly don't need to go hand in hand. None of the 4 confirmed autistics in my family love animals. We don't hate animals of course, we just don't LOVE them. If we see a kitty or puppy we say "it's so cute" and pet it a bit, and that's about it.

We all love science, art and philosophy. Are those stereotypical, too? :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 12:29 am

I also feel more comfortable around animals than I do around people. The animals pick up on this and they love me as well. The thing that drives me to animals and vice versa is the unconditional love that they give me. I love animals. They can't hurt me the way humans can. :O)

jcq126
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Dec 2013, 12:52 am

I have two rescue dogs and a rescue cat. They are my entire life, I would jump infront of a train for them. It's their non-judgemental and unconditional love and innocence. A pure essence that human beings will never be able to achieve due to our corruption. Humans are the enemy, we destroy everything in our path including each other.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 4:23 pm

I love animals too, always have! I like them a lot better than most people. I can read them really well and just feel at ease around them.

Einfari wrote:
I've also been told that animals are drawn to me and have noticed this as well. I am my cat's favorite person in the family and some of my friends' cats and dogs act a lot more friendly around me than with other people. Multiple friends of mine have commented about this. It's weird and I don;t understand why animals love me.

Me too. I'll never forget the first time I went over to one of my old friend's houses. While she was off doing something, I was left alone to sit in her living room. Her cat came over to say hello to me, and it wasn't long before he jumped up in my lap to get petted. When my friend came back and saw me holding her cat, she totally freaked out because he usually hides when strangers come over and never lets them pet him, let alone hold him. It really made me smile to hear that! :D

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 5:01 pm

I don't get along with animals any better than anyone else.

In fact, probably worst. Dogs mostly hate me unless they're heavily pack orientated (then they seem scared of me). Cats are aloof to me.

I don't like animals either.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 5:13 pm

Call me the animal lover, because I've always adored them... I guess it's just because communication is limited, and of course they fulfill you with that unconditional love.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 5:44 pm

I love cats. And usually tried to approach them even they're in the streets. Sometimes when they end up running away I have an urge to chase them. Even I'm allergic to them, I'd still cuddle them. Too bad I can't keep one because of it.

But dogs however, they overwhelm me... Especially if they're being playful. I end up averting them.

I haven't handle other kinds of animals... Yet.

IntellectualCat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Dec 2013, 7:21 pm

Animals aren't judgemental, they won't convince you into believing in their ideologies, they give unconditional love, and interacting with them isn't quite the same as interacting with a human.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 9:29 pm

Animals don't make any kinds of demands on you, all they want is a little kindness and affection. I particularly like dogs because dogs warm up to me right away. :D

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 9:49 pm

I love my whole menagerie.On the bad days they cheer me up.Several are rescue animals,I'm glad I can give them love and a nice home.The wild animals are also a source of happiness.