Punk, Post Punk, Goth Rock/Deathrock anyone?

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 12:15 pm

LucidDark0629 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
LucidDark0629 wrote:
Souxsi is pretty great, as are the Misfits. Lately though, I've gotten quite a bit into psychobilly. I.E; The Demented are Go!

For those that have never heard the genre, it is a combination of punk and late 1950's style rockabilly. Think 'drunk, pissed-off swearing Elvis covered in tatoos'.

That is a style I do enjoy as well.

Awesome! You're the first person I've met who likes the genre... No one in my whole circle of friends even bothers. What bands do you listen to?

Demented are Go, The Horrorpops, Neckromantix, The Coffinshakers....uhhh and there are more, but I haven't listened to a lot of it lately so that is all that comes to mind at the moment. Lol I'd almost count Johhny Cash...but I guess he is more of a predecessor of this sort of music.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 2:39 am

Proto Goth Detroit Rock City 1960's garage

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 3:00 am

Does anyone else here listen to Severed Heads? I've been getting into them lately.

I also found this neat band I had never heard of before called Dead Can Dance.

As far as post-punk and related genres go, I've also been listening to Joy Division, a bit of Christian Death, and if they count, I'm a big fan of Depeche Mode's early work.

Now, for more "conventional" punk, you can't go wrong with Big Black!

Alien_Papa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 1:16 am

Punk Women Riot Grrls and so on

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 9:33 am

^I love Christian Death and Joy Division, I have two Christian Death albums a vinyl and a cassette, and one CD of Joy Division I found at a thrift store. Funny thing is I only kinda recently got into Joy Division, kind of surprised I didn't hear them more earlier also find it a tad bit ironic the vocalist killed himself, it would seem perhaps their name contained a bit of sarcasm...it also sucks because those vocals are amazing and I will never have an opportunity to see it performed live.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 6:25 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
^I love Christian Death and Joy Division, I have two Christian Death albums a vinyl and a cassette, and one CD of Joy Division I found at a thrift store. Funny thing is I only kinda recently got into Joy Division, kind of surprised I didn't hear them more earlier also find it a tad bit ironic the vocalist killed himself, it would seem perhaps their name contained a bit of sarcasm...it also sucks because those vocals are amazing and I will never have an opportunity to see it performed live.

"Joy Division" is a reference to Jewish women forced to be sex slaves for the Nazis. There is a sense of irony, though not directly related to Curtis's thoughts of suicide. The Nazi reference also helps explain the name New Order.