Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 8:21 pm

Please note that the article describes the curing of a Rett Syndrome like illness, which is a form of autism, in mice, but not humans.

http://www.rsrf.org/reversal_experiment/index.html

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

08 Feb 2007, 8:30 pm

We have a thread on this in the General Autism forum. :)

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 8:53 pm

So they're finally on the road to curing autism? My wager is at least 20 years before the cure is effective and some whack job politician with a hidden agenda launches a government initiative to force it on the Autism population. Some may need it, yes; some may want it, yes; but not all do, and you can spare me. I will NEVER submit to a forced cure initiative, no matter what the governmetn tries to pull. I am fine with who i am, thanks. If anyone tries to force a cure on me, government or not, i would fight back and guard my identity with my life - for it is my life. I will die before i am given an AS cure, and i will take many people down to join me beofre i die, should they try this. So to the government agencies tapping this site, DON'T TRY IT. The cure should be given only by choice of the patient, and my choice is no.

At least 20 years gives me a chance to train and master my chidori technique...

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 9:14 pm

Isn't Retts Syndrome drastically different than autism? I understand it's on the spectrum (although I heard rumours that it may be removed for a separate category), but brain disintegration is involved, whereas it is not in autism. So really then, wouldn't two different cures be needed?

Three years!

Revenant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 9:14 pm

Quote:
So they're finally on the road to curing autism? My wager is at least 20 years before the cure is effective and some whack job politician with a hidden agenda launches a government initiative to force it on the Autism population. Some may need it, yes; some may want it, yes; but not all do, and you can spare me. I will NEVER submit to a forced cure initiative, no matter what the governmetn tries to pull. I am fine with who i am, thanks. If anyone tries to force a cure on me, government or not, i would fight back and guard my identity with my life - for it is my life. I will die before i am given an AS cure, and i will take many people down to join me beofre i die, should they try this. So to the government agencies tapping this site, DON'T TRY IT. The cure should be given only by choice of the patient, and my choice is no.

At least 20 years gives me a chance to train and master my chidori technique...

I shall stand by those words 'till the very end. Couldn't have said it better myself.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 10:54 pm

I really doubt they will force it on people, unless they are living in a home and can't function. They are not going to force it on an independent person. At least in the US with the way our governent is currently. I don't know we wont have a police state in 20 years but I wouldn't speculate that we will

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 11:21 pm

Personally, I like some of the POSSIBLE Asperger's talents I have, and don't know whether it would be ECONOMICALLY SAVVY to lose them.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 12:10 am

Juggernaut wrote:
I really doubt they will force it on people

That's optimistic
Juggernaut wrote:
unless they are living in a home and can't function./
Quote:

That's still in the attrocity book as far as I'm concerned (but then, you aren't necessarily saying it's a good thing)

Juggernaut wrote:
They are not going to force it on an independent person. At least in the US with the way our governent is currently. I don't know we wont have a police state in 20 years but I wouldn't speculate that we will.

People can be monstrous, and frankly it seems like a lot of the world is sinking backwards in terms of attitude. "The mentally ill" are strongly looked down on, and you can basically get away with anything if you say it's "for their own good". I'm sure many people believe that it's for their own benefit. But then, I'm sure that's how people felt about witch hunts.

And it doesn't matter that we have talents, because they're just as arbitrarily dismissed as it is that one can be "mentally ill", or a "witch". Things have gotten better than they were in our not too distant past, but it is still not 'alright'. And I think it's going to be awhile still before it stops becoming socially acceptable to hate people less fortunate than you are. (You not being *you* specifically, so much as the general populace)

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 2:06 am

1. Rats ain't people. (Soylent Green is though)

2. If this mysterious lot: "The People" allows the government to take control of their health, then they also give that government to control that health as it desires. Govenment health can cut both ways. I fear stuff like this news.

Kamex
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2007, 2:49 am

Most of our problems are the result of having AS rather than part of it. I thus doubt it's possible to cure existing humans. You could enable us to better focus our minds, and could fix sensory integration dysfunction in theory, but how are you going to fix, for example, unusual opinions as a result of social isolation? Still, new humans could be cured at birth.

If there were a cure for existing humans, it would surely be optional. People would assume everyone wants it, yes, but no one's going to sneak into our houses with a pill or needle to cure us. The real problem would be aspie rights, because if asperger's was an optional problem, people would argue we should just go get cured rather than recieve compensation for our problems.

As for this breakthrough, I don't think it changes anything for us. From what I understand Rett syndrome is autism plus a bunch of other problems. How are they to know the autism part was cured in rats? And that's if the cause of rat Rett even related to our AS.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 10:36 am

"Most of our problems are the result of having AS rather than part of it. I thus doubt it's possible to cure existing humans. You could enable us to better focus our minds, and could fix sensory integration dysfunction in theory, but how are you going to fix, for example, unusual opinions as a result of social isolation? Still, new humans could be cured at birth."

I agree. You might be able to cure someone at birth or at a very young age, but our experiences and thoughts mold us to be who we are. For example, it has been proven that depression actually causes phsyical changes in the brain, even if the depression is psychological in nature.

If AS has been who you are for 20 years, I don't think you could give me medication and just change how I view the world. Though I don't know for a fact its impossible, I would say its doubtful, as you are talking about changing the entire structure of someones brain

How I view the world is who I am, its not like curing aids or cancer, those diseases don't make someone who they are (directly). AS has made me who I am directly. So while if I had a choice at birth to have it or not, I would have chosen not to, since I would be unbiased. But now that I have grown up with it, its who I am so I wouldn't want to be turned into something I am not.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Feb 2007, 11:00 am

LadyCass wrote:
Isn't Retts Syndrome drastically different than autism?
yeah retts syndrome is only seen in girls autism is usually only seen in boys

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 12:57 pm

Honestly, I'm okay with being the way I am as a person.Yes, I've read the article and realize it only pertains to Rhett Syndrome a form of Autism but, I'm sure that there will be those whom will try to find a cure for Autism overall as, in my own opinion there are persons out in the world that tend to look at Autism and it's variants as being something like the Bubonic Plaaque :x Personally, I've often felt like the fictional characters "The X-Men" in that I enjoy being this way but, others in the society tend to look upon "us" as being outsiders in need of being "Cure" :roll: of some tragic ailment.Well, I would rather be this way than be anything else..

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 2:48 pm

I can't believe that!

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 5:08 pm

LadyCass wrote:
Isn't Retts Syndrome drastically different than autism? I understand it's on the spectrum (although I heard rumours that it may be removed for a separate category), but brain disintegration is involved, whereas it is not in autism. So really then, wouldn't two different cures be needed?

Yes, that is true. In fact, I don't think that it should be on the spectrum. Some of the symptoms are similar, but autism isn't a degenerative brain disease, whereas Retts Syndrome is. Also, it's my understanding that Retts Syndrome eventually kills the person who has it (whereas autism does not) - so if they can cure it, good for them.