why men don't chase rich women

Page 8 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 7:48 pm

Quote:
If the "very attractive women" are born poor and got poor education, are they then really born with a higher social status just because of their great beauty? I bet they are more likely to suffer sexual harassment, mistreatment and bullying, and more likely to be forced/pushed into prostitution.

The "very attractive women with higher social status" you are referring to are typically of higher social status thanks to their higher social status men, their beauty makes it easier to climb the ladder of hypergamy, in other term, to get a man of a higher social status, It can be used as a mean to get a better social status (whether through a man or some career requiring beauty like modeling) but it is not a better social status itself.

All other things being equal, a woman with greater beauty has higher social status than a woman with less beauty. How much said beauty can make up for other detriments depends on the degree of beauty and the degree of the detriments, just like any other indicator of social status. And, no, it's not just achieved through their husbands. Like I said, there are plenty of studies backing this up.

Hell, there are studies showing that pretty babies get more attention and resources from their parents than ugly babies.

And dogs aren't great conversationalists. I'm currently happily single with a dog, but that has more to do with my Asperger's than with having picked the wrong man; all of the men I've ever dated have been nice guys (and I mean that in the real sense, not in the sense of 'Nice Guys (TM).'

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 12:07 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
LKL wrote:
You don't think that those are valuable things? Maybe I'm getting cynical with age, but a genuinely compassionate, kind, caring person of either gender seems rarer and rarer to me, and more valuable.

As for 'professional builder,' my next-door neighbor when I was a kid built the family home himself, and was far from a professional builder. AfaIk it was the first and only significant edifice he ever built.

A such one-time accomplishment doesn't much count, ok he built a house, this was a great accomplishment , but not necessarily a greater man.

That's nest building most female of most species is going to find that attractive.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 5:40 am

MR_BOGAN wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
LKL wrote:
You don't think that those are valuable things? Maybe I'm getting cynical with age, but a genuinely compassionate, kind, caring person of either gender seems rarer and rarer to me, and more valuable.

As for 'professional builder,' my next-door neighbor when I was a kid built the family home himself, and was far from a professional builder. AfaIk it was the first and only significant edifice he ever built.

A such one-time accomplishment doesn't much count, ok he built a house, this was a great accomplishment , but not necessarily a greater man.

That's nest building most female of most species is going to find that attractive.

It's not enough.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 5:44 am

LKL wrote:
Quote:
If the "very attractive women" are born poor and got poor education, are they then really born with a higher social status just because of their great beauty? I bet they are more likely to suffer sexual harassment, mistreatment and bullying, and more likely to be forced/pushed into prostitution.

The "very attractive women with higher social status" you are referring to are typically of higher social status thanks to their higher social status men, their beauty makes it easier to climb the ladder of hypergamy, in other term, to get a man of a higher social status, It can be used as a mean to get a better social status (whether through a man or some career requiring beauty like modeling) but it is not a better social status itself.

All other things being equal, a woman with greater beauty has higher social status than a woman with less beauty. How much said beauty can make up for other detriments depends on the degree of beauty and the degree of the detriments, just like any other indicator of social status. And, no, it's not just achieved through their husbands. Like I said, there are plenty of studies backing this up.

Hell, there are studies showing that pretty babies get more attention and resources from their parents than ugly babies.

It affects men a lot too, especially height which is a part of looks too; don't forget that.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 6:08 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
LKL wrote:
Quote:

It affects men a lot too, especially height which is a part of looks too; don't forget that.

All things being equal, a good looking guy is also in the same predicament, of being treated better and getting more female attention than a guy not quite as good looking.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 6:38 am

yes.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 11:12 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:
Then she's universalizing her view inappropriately. I work with many women whose careers are more successful than their husbands', and make more money. I make quite a bit more than my boyfriend does, a situation to which his ASness has no doubt contributed. That millionaire of mine also happened to be smart and goodlooking, and he had a swell mom, with whom I'm still friends 20 years later. I just didn't want to go live in his world, and he wasn't going to leave it.

More a quite bit doesn't really count, do some of your friends make a LOT than their men?

Yup. Like multiples.

Quote:
Ok, now here when things can get blurry, unless the man has some .....great talent, and does non-lucrative painting, writing...etc or does a lot of humanitarian non lucrative activities (but those people are exceptional and rare), how else a man can demonstrate his accomplishments without being manifested by money?

I think you're missing the point. Sometimes women just like a dude. It's guys who get hung up on the whole "where do I put my trophy case so you can see how much you want me" thing. If a guy makes a woman feel loved, knows how to turn her on, takes the time to do those things, helps her out, is engaging...you know, lots of old-fashioned wife qualities are very appealing. A hot guy who'll make life easier, and not by trying to elbow the woman out of the way so he can go make a big kill and drag it home? Yeah.

Here's something my bf did that I loved: taught my daughter to pitch. Not only is that not my sport, but I'm busy. I'm working, I'm taking care of supper, laundry, whatever. Take the kid to the park, man, work her out, help her grow. He doesn't have to be a dad to her -- she's got one of those -- but that kind of thing makes life better for everyone. I didn't ask or anything. He just saw that she'd probably have some talent, and asked if it'd be okay.

Don't get hung up on weird PUA universal notions of what women want, it's strictly for dorks. Pay attention instead to the woman in front of you, find out what she values and needs. It's possible you just don't have it, and there's nothing to be done about that. If you do, though -- terrific.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 2:28 am

What she said. If I can find a guy who makes me smile and relax involuntarily when I see him, that would be about 80/100 points right there, regardless of what he looks like, how much money he has, or what he does.

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 8:48 am

LKL wrote:
What she said. If I can find a guy who makes me smile and relax involuntarily when I see him, that would be about 80/100 points right there, regardless of what he looks like, how much money he has, or what he does.

This x 1,000,000,000!