Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

KWifler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jan 2014, 7:09 pm

I studied hipsters for a while in my meme research. Basically, you're not supposed to really know what a hipster is. If you can define it, it no longer adheres to the definition. It usually consists of people who do things differently because they revile the way everyone else does things, and often that is because people instinctively seem to know what makes a hipster without really knowing, and they may get teased or ridiculed a lot.
Maybe it's a 3rd group. They tend to focus on how they act,speak, or look, but I think hipsters just do things and wear stuff without really understanding what they're doing until someone criticizes them.
I could be a hipster in a way, since whenever someone tries to imitate me, I often do something else from then on. I used to get really annoyed when someone would greet me the way I had greeted them last, or when they commented that our shirts were the same color, or if they decided to eat the same food I decided to eat, or if they started trying to act like me.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 7:28 pm

KWifler wrote:
but I think hipsters just do things and wear stuff without really understanding what they're doing until someone criticizes them.

That is definitely false. One thing for sure about hipsters is that they like to be ironic. You have to know what you are doing to make irony work.

They target specific cultural components to imitate; if they didn't, they wouldn't be recognizable.

Pabst blue ribbon beer
handlebar mustaches
1980s American fashion and pop music music
ski caps
dressing like loggers (blue jeans and flannel)
fixie bicycles
huge eyeglasses
"working class" habits such as eating lots of macaroni and cheese (junk food) or prefering to shop at thrift stores even if they can afford new clothes

and the reason they are reviled and called hipsters (they don't call themselves hipsters except to be ironic) is because they are totally faking their interests and (often being middle-class or higher) appropriating elements of working class lifestyle for amusement

KWifler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jan 2014, 7:36 pm

I disagree.

Quote:
If you've seen one hipster, you've seen one hipster.