Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 11:01 am

I was thinking about this the other day - I know there are some sounds associated with social cues, sounds of a agreement for instance and of course using the correct words - but aren't they largely visual? Which makes me wonder, how do blind people pick up on social cues? It seems like being blind would be worse then having Aspergers but I know a few blind people (not well enough to ask them this question) and they seem to do very well, so I must be wrong.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 11:18 am

Aspies are also blind to pitch and tone of voice (except for extremes). So a blind person learns to pick up every subtlety and can make better judgments than we can.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 1:30 pm

JSBACHlover: you mention that we aspies are blind to pitch and tone of voice, which made me think of something my son said that I had no way to account for, and what you said might explain it. My son said he can tell who the aspies are by the way we laugh. We laugh like we are overacting. He made me delete most of the laughter in a novel I wrote because I overdramatized the laughing, as if all the characters in the book are aspies, when only a few are. I had never, never noticed that before he said that.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 6:43 pm

I guess that makes sense now that I think about it, it's not that we can't see it, we just can't process it. So even if they're only processing verbal, they're still way ahead of us. Now I wonder why our brains can't process either visual or verbal? That's an interesting question too.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 6:50 pm

I can read some stuff...just don't get the worlds bizarre social rules.

Illogical, impractical and pointless some of them. Holy cow.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 7:24 pm

wozeree wrote:
I guess that makes sense now that I think about it, it's not that we can't see it, we just can't process it. So even if they're only processing verbal, they're still way ahead of us. Now I wonder why our brains can't process either visual or verbal? That's an interesting question too.

I can pick up on some social cues. I don't know how many I miss, but I know I can pick up on some. I find tone of voice is the easiest for me to read. I think the ability to pick up on social cues varies in the NT population.

Mrmisunderstood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Dec 2013, 8:04 pm

I have Aspergers and I know for sure I can read sone Social Cues but, then again how many do I not pick up.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 8:05 am

I think probably a blind NT person has an instinctual ability to
pick up on social cues. I would suppose an NT person would catch
a lot more of that during a phone call than an AS person would.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 12:03 pm

I'm an Aspie, and because of my sensitivity to music I can detect social cues in the voice. Also, I studied art, so I can basically detect social cues on the face.....

Yet on a day to day basis I am still clueless.

You know what my resolution is for 2014? It's to ask NT's directly. "I understand your words, now tell me how you feel."

I mean, DAMNIT! I'm tired of playing by their rules. Let there be light. Let what is obscure and confused see the light of day, and let us be transparent with each other. I'm sick of the games! Yeah I can play the games. But when it comes to work I'm sick of it! Sick of it!

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 12:08 pm

JSBACHlover wrote:
I'm an Aspie, and because of my sensitivity to music I can detect social cues in the voice. Also, I studied art, so I can basically detect social cues on the face.....

You know what my resolution is for 2014? It's to ask NT's directly. "I understand your words, now tell me how you feel."

I mean, DAMNIT! I'm tired of playing by their rules. Let there be light. Let what is obscure and confused see the light of day, and let us be transparent with each other. I'm sick of the games! Yeah I can play the games. But when it comes to work I'm sick of it! Sick of it!

But they would probably be confused by that request because it doesn't fit in acceptable social behaviour which to them is obviously sacrosanct. The games is all there is.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 12:13 pm

Well, I'm a priest, so I have some authority to ask what people mean. That's a privilege I enjoy.

But for all of us, we possess a human dignity. We have a right to know what people mean.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 12:14 pm

JSBACHlover wrote:
Well, I'm a priest, so I have some authority to ask what people mean. That's a privilege I enjoy.

But for all of us, we possess a human dignity. We have a right to know what people mean.

Well that's a really interesting attitude. How do you propose to ensure that your rights are not violated?

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 3:42 pm

leafplant wrote:
JSBACHlover wrote:

Well that's a really interesting attitude. How do you propose to ensure that your rights are not violated?

My rights? I do the best I can by being professional and polite, and kind. That's really all I can do. But it never hurts to ask a question about what other people mean.....at least I think so. What do you think?

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 3:48 pm

JSBACHlover wrote:

You should start a thread entitled LET THERE BE LIGHT. We can all do this and come back and report - could be a really fun, possibly sometimes difficult, but for sure an educational year!

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 4:20 pm

JSBACHlover wrote:
leafplant wrote:
JSBACHlover wrote:

My rights? I do the best I can by being professional and polite, and kind. That's really all I can do. But it never hurts to ask a question about what other people mean.....at least I think so. What do you think?

I think you have nicely picked up on social cues of this conversation. :D