Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 12:33 pm

The end of the year is now upon us, at least it is to people who celebrate the New year on Jan. 1st. :) But the TV ads I have had the misfortune to see this past year lead me to believe that it is the end of everything! Never mind war, climate change, disease or even asteroids, the ads on TV and everywhere else are so horrible I don't even want to think what else I'll see in this frightening world. hear is a new list of the most hateful commercials I've seen on TV the past year in no particular order:

-The new Weight Watchers "nothing is impossible" ads that show little girls talking about all the things they want to be when they grow up and are trying to be cute but they are really nauseating. Which is interesting since that alone would put me off of food. One girl is on a swing and starts babbling nonsense like "When I grow up I wanna be a dolphin and trainer, and *sharp gasp of breath* and *hiccup* bblababblenlgobbledegook!". Last night I was watching a marathon of Cake Boss (irony) when this came on and I had to flee from the room. Then the ads show the girls grown up as skinny, snotty women, and women only of course. These kinds of ads come on at the end of every year when people are trying to lose weight and they are sexist and they never focus on the fact that most people who are overweight are NOT always hungry and they are overeating for the emotional pleasure they get from it. I am so sick of their lies and their brainwashing.

-The "ambulance chaser" ads have always been horrible but lately they are just beyond ridiculous. A recent one claims that talcum powder causes ovarian cancer! Like most babies back in the 70's and 80's I was probably coated in baby powder after being changed or bathed the first couple of years of my life, and we used to have a big powder puff that I'd often put on after a bath for years. So if I get ovarian cancer it's because of that? But then again everything causes cancer now. Aspartame, cell phones, TV and computer screens, walking, eating, sleeping, and breathing. The only way to not get cancer is to be already dead. :roll:

-The Walmart "Mom" ads. I was horrified to see them in the back to school ads late last summer. Then they came back during Christmas like a bad flu. The "moms" all had one thing in common, they needed to be locked up and not even allowed into a store. They are obnoxious and insane.

-The Ford car Christmas commercials that have snotty, smug little brats telling Santa that they want a Chevy or whatever for Christmas. Kids are not supposed to be asking for real cars, they even drive them. I hate how the car companies pressure this on us during holidays. Like Happy Honda Days...retch. :eew:

- This ad for some immunity-boosting product or cold remedy, I don't really remember the name. It has a mom saying that whenever she's sick the house is in complete chaos, and it shows her kid emptying two liters of milk into his cereal and flooding the table, and her stereotypical dimwitted husband who apparently does not know how to dress himself! And she appeared healthy in the ad so what's it like when she really is sick? And of course if someone else in the household wasn't well she'd have to wait on them hand and foot. It was supposed to be a funny ad but it's stupid and sexist and totally wrong!

-Any and all the Febreeze ads. They blindfold people and they are so not in any way being exposed to all the disgusting toxins and bacteria that they are completely unaware of because the spray is supposedly making what looks the home of one of those compulsive hoarders on TV smell like a rose garden. They even once had the people blindfolded and put inside a dumpster! What's next, a septic tank? A room full of people with severe stomach flu and overflowing barf buckets? A MORGUE?!?

- Any Christian Mingle ad. Of course the ads for any online dating site makes me angry but Christian Mingle and their "find God's match for you" never fail to make me feel violently ill.

Last year I made a list of the worst commercials I've seen on TV. Maybe I'll make another one next year, too. Unless, of course, there aren't any terrible new ads in 2014... ROTFL!! ! :lol:

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 12:47 pm

Where's your proof that the women in the Weight Watchers' ads are snotty? That's being just a tad bit judgmental, don't you think? And as for the ads showing only women, it's because it's mainly women who use this particular weight-loss method; that's the demographic Weight Watchers is targeting. It's called "business".

As far as these kids telling Santa that they want cars for Christmas...why are you taking this one so seriously? Of course these car manufacturers know that kids can't drive! It's only an ad! From what I'm getting of this ad, these kids might be asking for the cars for their parents, not themselves. Where's the pressure in this? I don't see it. It's an advertisment, for pete's sake.

I hate to break it to you, but unless you throw out your TV, you won't be able to escape seeing these ads. Like I said before, all these companies put them out for one thing--to make money, They want business, and they try to put out advertisements that people will talk about. Obviously, they've done their job well, seeing as you're discussing them, even if in a negative light.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 6:01 pm

yes! i hate television commercials. they make me want to puke.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 10:23 pm

How about this incredibly mean-spirited entry:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bvS0h7M1_o[/youtube]

I want to strangle that obnoxious jerk--guess he's a really good actor. 8O

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17