Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 4:45 pm

Why is the attitude towards autistic people by 'the normal fake' is that we are the 'problem' and not them?

Sare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2014, 5:03 pm

I'm sure there are a multitude of reasons why people think the way they do, so there is no simple answer. Sometimes people have a hard time coming to terms with the possibility that they could be wrong (people don't want to see the ugliness in their own reflection), they could just be oblivious/ignorant, they could be resistant to change, they could be too enmeshed in society's values/beliefs, people generally feel uncomfortable with anything that isn't mainstream, things that are different to themselves.
and they may just want to take the easy path....

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 5:25 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Why is the attitude towards autistic people by 'the normal fake' is that we are the 'problem' and not them?

1. We're different - Non-conformity is a problem to those who rely on conformity in thinking and emotional responses to make their livings. Sales pitches that seem to work on the "98%", also seem to have no effect (or even the opposite effect) on the rest of us.

2. We're a minority - There seems to have always been a "Minority Problem", as in "How do we deal with that smaller number of people who are not like us?". Minorities used to be rounded up and sequestered in ghettos, or "sent away" (to gulags, mines, laundry houses, labor camps, et cetera), but in this modern age, the worst that can legally be done to us is to marginalize us socially.

3. We're relatively new - They haven't yet figured out how to deal with us as human beings that have emotions, feelings, dreams and ambitions; and not as clinical curiosities living in our parents' basements and attics instead. "Oh, that's just his Autism showing through" is a term of dismissal I've seen and heard used when people with AS/ASD express their opinions, especially if those opinions are unpopular or too "out there" to comprehend easily.

4. We're awkward - Whether physically, intellectually or emotionally, our words and actions seem out-of-place with the kinds of words and actions that they'd expect from each other.

There may be other reasons, but these seem to be the most significant for me.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 5:32 pm

Jamesy wrote:

Because we are a minority.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 6:00 pm

qawer wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Do you think in reality 'the majority' are the problem?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 8:36 am

Jamesy wrote:
qawer wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

By definition, "The Majority" accounts for most of the people. The attitude against Autistic people is held by the the majority. Thus, most of the attitude against Autistic people is held by the majority. This makes the majority mostly at fault for the way that Autistic people are treated.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 8:49 am

Because we're oblivious of, and therefore irreverent towards, the "accepted norms of society", such as the pecking order, the politics, the king is nude / the pink elephant in the room hush-hush.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 9:10 am

I think it's because we have not yet done enough to make the NT majority aware of who we are. But I guarantee you, we will!

The book "Ido in Autismland" ought to be required reading for every high school student, just like "To Kill a Mockingbird."

Soon, I will "come out" as high functioning Asperger's and let people know that there is something called "neurodiversty."

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 9:16 am

I figure autism is viewed as a disability (at least that's how I am classified as developmentally disabled) and the disabled (or perceived as disabled) are viewed with scorn. I mean that is mainly what I pick up on at the public school I go to is scorn. For me and the rest of the 'feebs, gimps and tards'.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 10:03 am

Jamesy wrote:
qawer wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Only to us. To them, we are the problem. Since they are the majority, we are seen as the problem by the majority.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 1:28 pm

People, in general with a few exceptions, are ignorant and uneducated..pure and simple.