What kind of gifts are acceptable to give to female friends?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Autinger
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jan 2014, 2:50 pm

Hey WP,

I've been wondering about what kind of gifts a man can give to a female friend.

You see, my friend was talking about some kind of hair treatment, and I went out and got her some "good stuff", recommended by the (young, female, "stylish") store employees, for Christmas, but I've been wondering whether something like that is maybe "too personal" in terms of "there's literally hundreds of different kinds that all work/don't work" and when it comes to a woman's hair, you shouldn't risk ending up giving her something that "ruins" her hair. Today we went shopping, and she was looking for a similar product, so I'm assuming she didn't like what I gave her, (even though she says she really does).

So I've started (over)thinking about "all" the gifts I gave her and "who" should be the one to give them (male friends, female friends, boyfriends, family, etc) and now I´m basically lost in my own thoughts.
For example, a couple months ago when we were shopping, I bought her a "sexy evening gown", (by basically cutting in front of her in line and paying for it before she could herself). But -now- I'm worried she will never be able to enjoy it without being forced to think about me. Same thing goes for "perfume".

What do you guys think? Are there clear "boundaries of gift giving" that I should be following (and have been breaking?), or does it depend on the kind relationship we have?

Weinmann1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2014, 3:15 pm

Red flowers (especially roses) will freak a girl out if she thinks you like her more than she likes you or if she only sees you as a friend.

Also choose yellow roses/ her favorite flower if unsure.

Otherwise I'd like to hear more from others. It's hard for me to decide what a girl might like because necklaces/jewelry are too girlfriend like.

Autinger
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jan 2014, 3:30 pm

Yeah it's difficult, especially the "friend"/"wannabe boyfriend" boundary.

I mean, she's looking for a new place to live after a break up, and is temporarily staying with a friend so I bought her some candles+holders to make it more "homely". <- I know that's perfectly okay.

But I was already thinking about buying her some kind of appliance like a bread toaster, etc etc whatever, when she finds her own place, but -now- I'm thinking that may be something family or (wannabe) boyfriends are supposed to get under an unspoken "so you can make it for me when I'm staying at your place" kind of deal. I'm sure I'll end up staying at her place sometime at some point, but I don't want to assume/imply by giving her such a gift.

Weinmann1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2014, 3:45 pm

There was a girl in highschool who I had a big crush on and later became friends with after we graduated. I would bring her things like her favorite Starbucks drink, a yellow rose, and i even brought her small gifts back when I went to Europe. I eventually stopped doing it because I got tired of her always being "too busy" to even get coffee. Although she was very warm while texting...

Weinmann1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2014, 4:05 pm

I realize that my posts have been a little unrelevant and maybe even a little hijacker at times and so I'll apologize for that. I'll try to help you out with your unique problem

OnPorpoise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2014, 4:11 pm

I think romantic, boyfriend-type gifts are more personal: clothing, jewelry, flowers, perfume. Buying someone a cup of coffee isn't. Or a book if she likes to read and has mentioned a one that she wants to read. A small appliance isn't too romantic, as long as it's something small like a toaster or can opener. You could tell her it's a housewarming gift, which is what friends do. Buying her a bed, of course, would be way over the line :D

Weinmann1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2014, 4:16 pm

It's hard for us aspies, but always be listening for hints. For instance: my favorite color is purple (buy something purple or use a purple bow) or I love ________ from Starbucks...

Rabbers
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jan 2014, 4:51 pm

Why don't you ask her out then you will know whether to get her friend stuff or boyfriend stuff?

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 4:57 pm

How about not so many presents? Even boyfriends don't buy this many presents. Keep presents to holidays and birthdays.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 5:06 pm

Gift giving absolutely depends on your relationship with the person.

Shampoo is not a good gift to get a girl, unless you know EXACTLY the brand she uses and only if your close to her. If she's a girlfriend, it can be a great gift, if she's a friend, not so much.

Candles can be hit or miss. You have to know what the girl likes.

It sounds like your friends with her but not dating, so I'd avoid intimate like sexy dresses, perfume, etc. And yeah, it is nice to buy your friend a present once in a while, but if your not dating her, it does kinna sound like your buying a lot of gifts.

annemehla
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Mar 2017, 4:48 am

Hi I am anne from Melbourne so many gifts u can give a girl for instance u can give a stylish bags, jewellery, clothes and more unique gift items.