Page 8 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 5:16 pm

beneficii wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
beneficii wrote:
For another look to see just how problematic the fallacy of relative privation is, let us look at another example:

[woman walks in to police station and goes up to desk officer.]

Woman: Help! I've just been raped!

Officer: Well, you may have, but at least you weren't murdered.

Woman: I want to make a report.

Officer: Nah. It'd just be a waste of time. You should be grateful that you weren't also murdered. Many women who were raped were also murdered. I want to make sure we just focus resources on women who were both raped and murdered, as women like you just didn't have it as bad.

It's that kind of thing.

Oh my. I have never heard anyone say anything like that.

Right here, in response to information that there are still oppressed and persecuted groups in this country (which I have named above), the same fallacy is used:

Quote:
If you think you are opressed in America, you are spoiled beyond what I can comprehend. Almost all hate groups are almost completely secretive, and if not, are hated more themselves by 70% of the people in this country (the people who hold a minority amount of power are far outnumbering the white rich people. I'm part native american, but I think it is one of the coolest things about me, it never has made me feel like an outcast.)
Please move to Nepal or Tibet, or watch hotel rwanda, or know what ww2 was. You are not opressed at all compared to those pressing times.

Well call me a big dummy, someone actually thinks I wouldn't clock the cop in the face. You are still assuming I would view stuff like that cop did. Just like ME MYSELF AND I said, stop assuming we all hate everyone. song*OOPS, I did it again*song

Last edited by appletheclown on 09 Jan 2014, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 5:17 pm

appletheclown,

Hypocrisy is claiming virtues you do not actually possess. I believe I have been pretty open about my beliefs and goals on this thread, and have not claimed any virtues I do not possess, so I am not a hypocrite.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 5:22 pm

beneficii wrote:
appletheclown,

Hypocrisy is claiming virtues you do not actually possess. I believe I have been pretty open about my beliefs and goals on this thread, and have not claimed any virtues I do not possess, so I am not a hypocrite.

If anything, I'd say that those who use the fallacy of relative privation are likely to be the hypocrites. They claim such concern for these more important things, when most of the time they do little to help with those more important things. Whereas those who actually care about such issues are not even likely to be involved in the discussion where the fallacy takes place. Those who use the fallacy claim such concern, a virtue which most likely they do not possess, which makes most who use that fallacy likely to be hypocrites.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 5:24 pm

beneficii wrote:
appletheclown,

Now you are lying out of your eyeballs!

Love (opposite of hatred so can be used to describe hatred as well), honesty, respect, and sincerity are all virtues last time I checked. You respect nothing of what I say when I say I don't hate. I am done, this is childish any way. So I hate transgender people when am completely untraditional, traditional for wanting properness around ladies, and hateful because I'm ignorant, yet not hateful for the very reason being ignorant makes me hateful because I think being homosexual is a sin.

Stealing is just as much a sin as being homosexual to Jesus himself, why would I care if you are homosexual?!?!?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 5:30 pm

appletheclown wrote:
beneficii wrote:
appletheclown,

Love (opposite of hatred so can be used to describe hatred as well), honesty, respect, and sincerity are all virtues last time I checked. You respect nothing of what I say when I say I don't hate. I am done, this is childish any way. So I hate transgender people when am completely untraditional, traditional for wanting properness around ladies, and hateful because I'm ignorant, yet not hateful for the very reason being ignorant makes me hateful because I think being homosexual is a sin.

Stealing is just as much a sin as being homosexual to Jesus himself, why would I care if you are homosexual?!?!?

What virtues have I claimed to possess that you do not believe I actually possess? If you cannot say any, then you have not shown hypocrisy on my part.

As for the rest of your post, I am not sure of its point, other than an attempt at defense of some sort. Defense against what, however?

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 5:30 pm

After being vehemently attacked by both liberals and conservatives on this thread, I think I am bowing out.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 5:32 pm

sonofghandi wrote:
After being vehemently attacked by both liberals and conservatives on this thread, I think I am bowing out.

Who on the left attacked you? It got heated, but not once did I engage in a conversation about you as a person.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 5:37 pm

beneficii wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
beneficii wrote:
appletheclown,

What virtues have I claimed to possess that you do not believe I actually possess? If you cannot say any, then you have not shown hypocrisy on my part.

As for the rest of your post, I am not sure of its point, other than an attempt at defense of some sort. Defense against what, however?

You claimed I was bellitling LGTB, right. Well you know what, I WAS TRYING TO BELITTLE YOU AFTER YOU OFFENDED MY BELIEF SYSTEM.
After that you started to get offended about some belief system called, umm what was it, oh yeah political correctness, when I was belittling you. I honestly believe political correctness would be great for not people like you. (kind of like how pedophillic priests make religion look bad, note worse than you, and I'm not saying you EQUATE to a pedophile, so please don't jump to that conclusion).

And also, it was a defense against you thinking I was belittling what transgender people go through. (I think I already said that though)

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 5:41 pm

appletheclown wrote:
beneficii wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
beneficii wrote:
appletheclown,

You claimed I was bellitling LGTB, right. Well you know what, I WAS TRYING TO BELITTLE YOU AFTER YOU OFFENDED MY BELIEF SYSTEM.
After that you started to get offended about some belief system called, umm what was it, oh yeah political correctness, when I was belittling you. I honestly believe political correctness would be great for not people like you. (kind of like how pedophillic priests make religion look bad, note worse than you, and I'm not saying you EQUATE to a pedophile, so please don't jump to that conclusion).

And also, it was a defense against you thinking I was belittling what transgender people go through. (I think I already said that though)

This post shows my claim was correct.

I'm still waiting for those virtues I claim to possess that you believe I actually do not possess, or can I expect a retraction for your calling me a hypocrite?

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 5:47 pm

beneficii wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
beneficii wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
beneficii wrote:
appletheclown,

This post shows my claim was correct.

I'm still waiting for those virtues I claim to possess that you believe I actually do not possess, or can I expect a retraction for your calling me a hypocrite?

Nice try Trolling jerk. I already told you it was respect. And heck yes I lack it, I'm pissed off. WTH makes you be such a, well,... mean person.
READ WHAT I TYPE. IT WAS RESPECT FOR WHAT I SAY. RESPECT. I'm done with you, thanks for being another arse who tries to piss me off to make me stop being myself.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 5:57 pm

appletheclown wrote:
Nice try Trolling jerk. I already told you it was respect. And heck yes I lack it, I'm pissed off. WTH makes you be such a, well,... mean person.
READ WHAT I TYPE. IT WAS RESPECT FOR WHAT I SAY. RESPECT. I'm done with you, thanks for being another arse who tries to piss me off to make me stop being myself.

Respect is the virtue I claimed to possess when I actually lack it? :?

I thought I've made pretty clear on this thread that I have no respect for efforts to perpetuate persecution, remaining willfully ignorant in the face of evidence (particularly when such willful ignorance harms people), attempts to shut down the conversation by saying things are worse elsewhere, among other such things.

Now, I do have respect for some other things, but not for what I named above. You may possess respect, but that does not mean you respect everything.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 6:02 pm

Tone it down, you two.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 6:03 pm

beneficii wrote:
appletheclown wrote:

I thought I've made pretty clear on this thread that I have no respect for efforts to perpetuate persecution, remaining willfully ignorant in the face of evidence (particularly when such willful ignorance harms people), attempts to shut down the conversation by saying things are worse elsewhere, among other such things.

Now, I do have respect for some other things, but not for what I named above. You may possess respect, but that does not mean you respect everything.

Well at least I'm upfront about it. What is with your archaic linguism? I can't even understand you. On, top of that, what do you know of my opinions on LGTB, the deep concern or hate I have for them? HMM!? It is obvious you could care less why we believe in religion, but I am curious why you think you know who I am as a person, my beliefs on LGTB? I really am. You have no idea what you are talking about. We are on a forum, not a botched comicon event in person.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 6:06 pm

appletheclown wrote:
beneficii wrote:
appletheclown wrote:

Well at least I'm upfront about it. What is with your archaic linguism? I can't even understand you. On, top of that, what do you know of my opinions on LGTB, the deep concern or hate I have for them? HMM!? It is obvious you could care less why we believe in religion, but I am curious why you think you know who I am as a person, my beliefs on LGTB? I really am. You have no idea what you are talking about. We are on a forum, not a botched comicon event in person.

Are you saying I have not been upfront?

As well, I know little about you. However, I am very vigilent for the signs mentioned above.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 6:07 pm

LKL wrote:
Tone it down, you two.

So sorry sir, we were trying to convince myself, not her for she is already a genius, that I'm being belligerent, FOR NO REASON.
I had not the faintest disrespect for her(i assume the person in question is a woman), until she treads over my post like I want everyone to be very upset. Please sir, I am truly at fault. NOT COMPLETELY THOUGH

Last edited by appletheclown on 09 Jan 2014, 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 6:08 pm

LKL wrote:
Tone it down, you two.

You're right. I should have reported him for falsely charging me with hypocrisy.

I'll do that now.